Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The agents can exercise discretion, but all EI bookings made with BA are indeed subject to this fee. This advice of always demanding a waiver is therefore not cool.
I've also had the phone fee waived when booking an EI flight with Avios in the past. The agent didn't proactively offer to waive the fee, but I asked politely ("would it be possible to waive the fee, since I wasn't able to do this online?") and she said "sure" without skipping a beat. I don't see anything objectionable about suggesting that others try the same approach, unless one feels it is morally wrong to swindle BA out of the $25. The advice was not to "demand" an undeserved discount, simply a suggestion based on personal experience. I do agree it would be unseemly to push the issue or make impolite demands.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Aer Lingus has no say in how partners make its flights available to their own fliers.
Were you responding to me? If so what is the relevance?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Exactly, jimindc. I askers politely both times and had the fee waived.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by jimindc
I've also had the phone fee waived when booking an EI flight with Avios in the past. The agent didn't proactively offer to waive the fee, but I asked politely ("would it be possible to waive the fee, since I wasn't able to do this online?") and she said "sure" without skipping a beat. I don't see anything objectionable about suggesting that others try the same approach, unless one feels it is morally wrong to swindle BA out of the $25. The advice was not to "demand" an undeserved discount, simply a suggestion based on personal experience. I do agree it would be unseemly to push the issue or make impolite demands.
Give it to them. BA likes to swindle its customers out of issued tickets without refund.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: baec, iberia
ALC-DUB-BOS

Sorry for the silly question, am a complete novice. Probably first and last time as I don't see me saving enough avios to do anything like this again, being we spend some time abroad.
Looking at various options for my current avios balance. Can anyone confirm if I have this right? I did call BA and a nice girl quoted me these, but am a little worried it is correct.

Also can this be booked as one ticket and therefore no hassle if flight to Dublin was delayed on outward journey?

This is return for 2 people
ALC - DUB Economy 15,000 avios plus taxes
DUB - BOS Business 100,000 avios plus taxes
NY - MIA Economy 30,000 avios plus taxes

We are very flexible and are happy to go next year.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by amcn2201
This is return for 2 people
ALC - DUB Economy 15,000 avios plus taxes
DUB - BOS Business 100,000 avios plus taxes
NY - MIA Economy 30,000 avios plus taxes
Your third leg (NYC-MIA) should be 7,500 Avios each if you're flying Economy.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
QF shows more than 4 x J. However, when I call BAEC, they tell me only 2 seats.

checked EF as well. Shows J9(U9) as mentioned in earlier threads.

and just checked UA. Also showing more than 2 seats

Last edited by jmw2323; Apr 17, 2014 at 9:18 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by jimindc
Your third leg (NYC-MIA) should be 7,500 Avios each if you're flying Economy.
Thanks jimindc. So that would be 3750 each way times 2? Don't know how I got that wrong think I got that thru BA for AA. Will go back and check what I've done wrong but that's even nicer. May have enough now for a 1 night hotel stay. Thanks again.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Thanks jimindc. So that would be 3750 each way times 2? Don't know how I got that wrong think I got that thru BA for AA. Will go back and check what I've done wrong but that's even nicer. May have enough now for a 1 night hotel stay. Thanks again.
No, it would be 7500 each way for each person.

You will also very much need the stars to align; getting across the Atlantic the way you've described is unlikely in the summertime, which is the most likely time to find NYC-MIA seats.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by jmw2323
QF shows more than 4 x J. However, when I call BAEC, they tell me only 2 seats.

checked EF as well. Shows J9(U9) as mentioned in earlier threads.

and just checked UA. Also showing more than 2 seats
If you want to use BA Avios, then the thing that matters is what BAEC tells you, as I'm learning from the many times Irishguy28 has said.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:52 am

Sorry, I was thinking one-way. It would be 30,000 for two people return.

ALC-DUB would price at the same rate (almost the exact same distance as NYC-MIA), so that would also be 30,000 return.

Here are the correct one-way prices per person:
ALC-DUB Y 7,500
DUB-BOS J 25,000
JFK-MIA Y 7,500

So, you are looking at 40K per person each way, or 160K for two round-trips.

As pawtim has said, finding availability on the DUB-BOS leg will probably be your biggest hurdle.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You will need to have the JFK-MIA on a separate ticket to the others as putting more than one non-BA airline on a BA award ticket results in the award being priced on an extremely expensive all-partner award rate.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pawtim
If you want to use BA Avios, then the thing that matters is what BAEC tells you, as I'm learning from the many times Irishguy28 has said.
read a few blogs as well last night. All say the same thing. EF, QF, and UA always show more than BA. Irritating
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:46 pm

Thanks for all your replies, my avios requirement has just jumped up, but luckily still have enough. Pawtim, I understand that it is difficult to get the Dub to Boston flights but thought I would have a better chance as soon as they were released. Was thinking April/May next year. Are you saying we won't get the internal flights to Miami in these months. Sorry am not sure if I've picked you up correctly. Does this itinerary look impossible? (Did say I was a novice, lol). Thought we'd spend a few days in Ny then a 5/7 day cruise from Miami. Am I being naive?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Pawtim, I understand that it is difficult to get the Dub to Boston flights
From my allbeit limited experience of booking this route last October, there was plenty of availability in business about 2-3 months in advance. Not on every flight, but on many flights.

I did not get the telephone fee waived though, even after asking nicely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.