Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Aer Lingus Business Class?

Just booked roundtrip BOS <-> DUB flights for my girlfriend and I. Considering I have over 200,000 Avios points I opted for Business Class. What should we expect? Does their business class come close to others? I noticed they don't offer first class...

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:25 pm

Lucky has a great trip report with pictures. I am thinking of doing the same thing. Where did you find the award availability?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...ton-to-dublin/
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mkarolian
Just booked roundtrip BOS <-> DUB flights for my girlfriend and I. Considering I have over 200,000 Avios points I opted for Business Class. What should we expect? Does their business class come close to others? I noticed they don't offer first class...

Thanks!
I'm really curious why you would shell out a bunch of points for a product about which you apparently know nothing?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mkarolian
Does their business class come close to others? I noticed they don't offer first class...
Very few European airlines offer First Class anymore and those that do offer it in many instances only on a limited subset of routes/aircraft; anyways, the term as used in North America in most cases translates to "Business Class" outside of North America.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CondescendingForumGuy
I'm really curious why you would shell out a bunch of points for a product about which you apparently know nothing?
Well, I have flown this route before and knew that if I was taking my girlfriend I was going to upgrade to Business. I know its better, but I'd like a better idea of how much better.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr88
Lucky has a great trip report with pictures. I am thinking of doing the same thing. Where did you find the award availability?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...ton-to-dublin/
Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:13 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
EI Business has a much more premium feel than BA Club. For example, better service, better food, smaller cabin.

The seats are perfect for 2 people travelling together but they are flat at an angle rather than pure flat.

Personally, I think EI Business is better than, for example, AA, UA or BA.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
He knows it's better than Y and wants more info.

Last edited by zrs70; Feb 9, 2013 at 11:18 pm
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Helpful additional post. Thanks for bringing the tone down even further.

Any more comments like these from anyone and there may well be the very first moderator action in this new forum.

GoldCircle
Aer Lingus Forum Mod Team
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by sgm
EI Business has a much more premium feel than BA Club. For example, better service, better food, smaller cabin.

The seats are perfect for 2 people travelling together but they are flat at an angle rather than pure flat.

Personally, I think EI Business is better than, for example, AA, UA or BA.
I concur....am AA EXP and use EI for European shorthaul and BA for Asia and LATAM. Flew EI Business class to JFK recently and rate it way above the BA and AA product.

You will earn some brownie points rather than EI points with your GF.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Flew them last year BOS-DUB. Perfectly enjoyable flight. Was offered an upgrade at check-in as only 1 customer booked on the A330 in J/C. And then there were 3. Seating, service and catering very very good, and tailored for a short overseas sector. Lounge a bit spartan at BOS but staffed by an excellent EI ground hostess. Think you'll enjoy it & definitely above anything offered by a competing American carrier.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
I think you'll have a great trip. For the past few years I've been flying both BA Club World and EI business class out of JFK several times a year, and I like both--certainly much more than any US airline. Here are some further thoughts:

- EI's seats are ok, but as noted above they are angled lie-flat, so they don't quite match BA or any other true flat bed for sleeping. This isn't an issue on the daytime westbound flights though. When traveling alone I prefer the privacy of BA, but since you'll be with your girlfriend you'll appreciate being able to sit next to each other (without facing backwards in the middle like on BA), so there's an advantage to EI. And even with the angle I usually manage to sleep at least a couple of hours.

- On my recent flights EI's food has been head and shoulders above BA's. I've really been impressed by their catering lately.

- IFE is roughly comparable to BA and others, with a decent AVOD system. Not the largest selection of movies, but certainly adequate for short transatlantic flights.

- The lounge in DUB is small but comfortable, with a decent snack and drink selection. Can't comment on BOS, but JFK is just a shared lounge. It's hard to top BA when it comes to lounges, especially their preflight dining option, but otherwise I'd say EI's lounges are comparable to other airlines.

- Service of course varies somewhat depending on the crew, but in general I find EI's among the best out there--perhaps due in part to the relatively small cabin. I've had some FAs who really go above and beyond to make it a pleasant flight.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I wish there was a day flight out of BOS as of course the flight isn't long enough

I know, turnaround doesn't work if it wasn't an overnight flight
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, AF, LH
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Flew them last year BOS-DUB. Perfectly enjoyable flight. Was offered an upgrade at check-in as only 1 customer booked on the A330 in J/C. And then there were 3. Seating, service and catering very very good, and tailored for a short overseas sector. Lounge a bit spartan at BOS but staffed by an excellent EI ground hostess. Think you'll enjoy it & definitely above anything offered by a competing American carrier.
You were upgraded or they offered an upgrade for a price? If so how much? Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: all
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Very few European airlines offer First Class anymore and those that do offer it in many instances only on a limited subset of routes/aircraft; anyways, the term as used in North America in most cases translates to "Business Class" outside of North America.
BA, Lufthansa, Air France, Swiss all offer First class as in 3 cabin planes..Granted these are not offered intra europe but pretty much all the long hauls Europe-asia,NA, Latin america, middle east offer actual first class cabins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.