Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Does Aer Lingus Allocate More Award Space Over Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

So I fell for the old "United has availability, I'll transfer my million miles and book trick" to grab award space on DUB-LAX next year.

Problem is/was I needed 3 business class saver award tickets, and United displayed 4 available, pretty much on most, but not all weekdays because it's during off-peak spring time.

Anyway, once I booked and paid I got the dreaded "This flight segment cannot be confirmed. Please contact United Reservations for Assistance."

So I did, and as I sat on hold I assumed there might only be 2 seats available. Once I got the rep on the phone, they tried to push through 3 again to no avail, so I asked for 2, and the rep didn't think it would work, but I had him try anyway and it seemed to book. I noticed award availability was now gone for that date on all the websites you can search.

I feel pretty good about those 2 tickets, but now I'm curious what to do about my third ticket. Do I book in economy and try to get upgraded (is it even possible?) or hold out for additional business class awards to be released? I'm sure they have plenty of seats, just not sure if they'll open more up.

If anyone has advice/knowledge of Aer Lingus opening more award space, please let me know. Or if you have general tips regarding what to do that would be appreciated.

At this point, I can still just release my two good seats and try something entirely different (within United), but I kind of don't want to lose everything at this point. Flight isn't for about 8 months so I have some time.

Thank you!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Generally its only 2 seats per flight

Aer Lingus load factors are consistently high on long haul so redemption seats are rare
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

I see.

I'm fine with sitting in economy if my wife and son get business class. Is it true you can reserve an exit row seat once you're ticketed on Aer Lingus, even if it's an award booking? I'm around 6'5 so I need the legroom, don't care about the rest of the biz class perks so much.

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:23 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by rooney
I see.

I'm fine with sitting in economy if my wife and son get business class. Is it true you can reserve an exit row seat once you're ticketed on Aer Lingus, even if it's an award booking? I'm around 6'5 so I need the legroom, don't care about the rest of the biz class perks so much.

Thanks!
I don't think they will release a third biz seat. As mentioned load factors are good and in any case they do paid upgrade auctions from revenue Y.
I don't think you can get an exit row seat with your award either. They charge extra for exit row. I think you can call them up and pay for the exit row seat. I would imagine there are plenty who will pay up on what is EI's longest flight.
It can be hard work even doing regular seat selection on flights booked via 3rd parties. IT is not an EI strength

Did you look into flying ET from LAX-DUB?

Last edited by soy; Sep 23, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

I actually have my flight there all squared away using Avios flying from NYC. So I didn't have trouble with that one...I think 4 biz award slots are allocated for the shorter-haul Europe-bound flight. Shame they don't match that up both ways...I don't think ET had anything coming home.

I think I'll try to call Aer Lingus, though not sure it'll get me anywhere if my award booking is through United. I've had some luck in the past with diligent airline employees. I booked Turkish via United and an employee was really good about getting me confirmation numbers and seats even though I couldn't select myself.

I wonder if EI will entertain "to complete a party," it's worth a shot I guess.

Can anyone think of a United miles bookable flight to LAX from anywhere near the UK that might have 3 biz award spots for off-peak, nearly 8 months out? Was trying to think of places like Sweden or Denmark.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Did some digging, think I can go ZRH-LAX on Swiss instead and it's not much longer. Needed to get back to Dublin for the return anyway (from Scotland). Dublin is one hour, Switzerland is two...not much different. Thanks again for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.