Search

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: aer club
Advice Needed

Some advice needed?

I recently booked Aer Lingus to Vegas via San Fran.(business)

Today, they have mailed me saying "There has been a change to your itinerary and we have accommodated you on the closest alternative flights. These flights reflect the best option available. "

They have moved my outbound to via Washington, then onto Vegas (will now be a 18hr trip).

When I log into Aer Lingus, my original flights are still there, but have shot up in price to over $6k return. (business)

Can they do this, considering the original flights are still there to be booked?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
I have never heard of anything like this, unless the flight times have changed which means you would make your connection in SFO i cant see how they would do this
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Shane Mac
They have moved my outbound to via Washington, then onto Vegas (will now be a 18hr trip).
How much later do you arrive in Vegas, compared to your original booking?

You may end up being able to claim for EC261/2004 compensation for the "late arrival", but you should probably get on the phone straight away to your agent (or to Aer Lingus directly, if you booked with them) to ask to be reaccommodated as booked.

You say your original flights are still available to book, but has the timing changed? What about the original (United?) flight that got you from SFO to LAS? US Airlines are notorious for moving and changing flights - times, flight numbers, aircraft - all can change, multiple times. My suspicion is that United made some change to the originally-booked flight from SFO to LAS, and that the upshot - which may have been rebooked automatically, i.e. without human intervention - is the routing you have now. It *should* be possible to get on a new/different/later UA flight from SFO to LAS.

I would advise you to pick up the phone and talk to an agent. Sooner, rather than later. If you booked via a travel agency, you will have to talk to them, rather than to Aer Lingus.

And so that we can better understand things, please come back and let us know the outcome.

Thanks, and good luck!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Hey,

No, on the way over have a a 3hr layover and way back its 4hrs.. Have e-mailed them, but just wondering from a legal stance, I don't think they can do this, if they are still advertising them , especially at a much higher rate.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Have e-mailed them,
Don't rely on e-mail. You should engage with a person - pick up the phone!

but just wondering from a legal stance, I don't think they can do this, if they are still advertising them , especially at a much higher rate.
It's certainly not illegal to do so, but they may have to make amends in some way - though if you passively accept the re-route now without actually chasing them (by phone!) it will be harder to argue after the event.

Don't address legal issues, etc, on the phone call. Just ring up and ask to be rebooked on your original itinerary. If they refuse, ask them why not, and then start examining the legal threats!!!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Phone them, email is useless
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks Guys', will get on the phone now,
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:55 am

Call them email is useless. What could have happened is that they are still showing online for the US sector but that flight has been cancelled or retimed but has not pulled through to what the website is showing. I have seen that before but it might not be in this case. If the flights are operating as per what was booked EI have to reinstate your booking. You can also request different routings and not accept the one offered. For example via LAX. If you get a difficult agent ask for a supervisor.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by irishguy28
How much later do you arrive in Vegas, compared to your original booking?

You may end up being able to claim for EC261/2004 compensation for the "late arrival", but you should probably get on the phone straight away to your agent (or to Aer Lingus directly, if you booked with them) to ask to be reaccommodated as booked.
No compensation unless this is less than two weeks from departure.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stifle
No compensation unless this is less than two weeks from departure.
Exactly.

I would advise the OP to do a bit of research before picking up the phone. Start by trying to determine the current schedule for the original flights, DUB-SFO and then SFO-LAS on UA. Does the current scheduled satisfy minimum connecting time requirements for international to domestic interline from EI to UA? If not, is there some later UA flight from SFO to LAS that would work? It's extremely uaseful to figure out several feasible options and determine which would be best for you before calling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.