Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

SQ to EI via CDG - separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SQ, EK

I will have to visit DUB briefly next week.

As usual, want to support a local business and have booked SQ J to CDG.

Schedule:
SQ SIN-CDG arr. 0730am
EI CDG-DUB dep. 1020am
- separate tickets

I'm reasonably familiar with EI (used to have status with them years ago), but would appreciate your thoughts on the following:

1. Does EI accept interlined bags from SQ? Any issues with this?
- EI booking made by travel agent, and bag included in the fare
- SQ will most probably tag my bag through to EI

2. Airside "connection" possible? According to my booking, both airlines use T1 at CDG
- I understand passport control etc. can take quite a while at CDG these days...

3. Lounge available with priority pass near the gates EI use at CDG?

Thank you very much ^
Old May 18, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nanyang
1. Does EI accept interlined bags from SQ? Any issues with this?
- EI booking made by travel agent, and bag included in the fare
- SQ will most probably tag my bag through to EI
It's not so much whether EI will "accept" the bag; the issue is whether the first airline will actually check the bag through.

There is an interline agreement between EI and SQ, however, increasingly airlines are refusing to interline bags on separate tickets. (Interlining exists solely to allow such single-tickets to be sold; if you don't buy all travel on one ticket, you are not actually entitled to have the bags interlined).

As SQ is your "local business", you are probably best placed to determine whether they will check the bag through.

EI will probably check the bag onwards to SQ on the return - but you should allow enough time between tickets in case either party refuses.

If either airline checks the bag through for you, it is vital that you show the luggage receipt to ground staff of the next airline in good time before boarding. Given that you are not on a single ticket, they won't be expecting luggage to arrive already checked through. You run a much greater risk of your bag being delayed if you do not pro-actively bring it to the attention of the unexpecting airline.

2. Airside "connection" possible? According to my booking, both airlines use T1 at CDG
- I understand passport control etc. can take quite a while at CDG these days...
Yes, you can transfer airside between all terminals at CDG.

3. Lounge available with priority pass near the gates EI use at CDG?
Thank you very much ^
The Priority Pass website probably can tell you more about the facilities available there. Aer Lingus uses the Salon Icare at CDG so presumably this is the most convenient, if it is a Priority Pass lounge.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts irishguy28.

Let's just say SQ are pretty happy to check bags through in certain circumstances. Just concerned about EI generally. Going by previous experience (had to check, 130 flights with EI): operationally they are a very good airline, but customer service is not their forte.

Will fly back via MAN. Have done the EI-SQ connection at least via FRA, MUC and DUS in the past. Never asked EI to tag my bag to SQ - but now I'm encouraged to ask them!
Old May 19, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Aer Lingus uses the Salon Icare at CDG so presumably this is the most convenient, if it is a Priority Pass lounge.
It is
Old May 22, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Reporting back:
- SQ checked bag through to EI, no issues whatsoever
- CDG: apparently SQ and EI use the same satellite (11-18 gates) - at least today this was the case
- simply went through security after getting off the SQ flight (had done OLCI); took max 5min in total
- found myself in the gate area before 8am, was the only passenger there (EI departure 1020am); coffee shop opened around 830am
- transfer desk manned around 60min before departure (info on bag coming from SQ added; also checked in my cabin bag)

Everything worked well.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:02 am

Good news, what I would have expected on this direction, but don't be surprised if it does not work on the return as EI are in control
Old May 22, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eireman
Good news, what I would have expected on this direction, but don't be surprised if it does not work on the return as EI are in control
Yes, I think you're right. Will probably not bother asking EI to check my bag through on the way back. Recall I have 3h at MAN anyways.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Poster

reporting back... DUB-MAN//MAN-SIN

EI check-in
- had done OLCI
- arrive at airport, EI now have these wonderful self-service machines for printing of baggage tags
- have TA booking, but the machine tells me to cough up EUR35 for the bag...
- think I need to queue for 30min to get the bag checked, but some staff member tells me to go to the excess baggage desk (can't remember what it was called)
- the employee sees my SQ booking in their systems and my bag is on its way to SIN
- also get BP for SQ

--> Everything worked fine in the end, but admittedly the check-in experience was rather chaotic (not unlike the experience one could expect with many other airlines worldwide)

MAN transfer
- no airside connection available
- walk from T1 to T2 is fairly long, but 4h between the flights so not an issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.