Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Maximising Avios - credit to BAEC or AerClub ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus
Maximising Avios when BA and EI options available

Hi All,

There are similar threads to this but as far as I can tell, they relate to the old GC scheme, not to the new AerClub.

I'm an AerClub silver member and trying to maximise the amount of Avios I earn on Dublin - London runs.

Am I always better off booking on EI or does the amount of Avios I earn depend solely on the cost of the flight. For eg, if DUB - LHR on EI is €150 and DUB - LHR on BA is €150, will I earn the same amount of points?

I assume if I use BA, I won't get lounge, fastpass or priority boarding?

Same question goes for TATL flights? Per €, am I better off on EI?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ferg01
Per €, am I better off on EI?
That depends.

In Aer Club, your EI ticket will earn on the basis of cost of the ticket.
In Aer Club, your BA ticket will earn on the basis of the fare class and the distance.

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/us...lecting-avios/

So you will need to do the math each time. It's never always going to be that one choice is always the better.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 6, 2017 at 5:52 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
So you will need to do the math each time. It's never always going to be that one choice is always the better.
Figured as much! Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
With the current BA triple miles offer I suspect you would need to look very hard for a fare that would earn more Avios under AerClub than Exec Club.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:14 am

The later you book your trips the more you will earn with Aer Lingus using the simple logic of higher fares closer to departure date.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all,

I'm more concerned with maintaining my tier status to get fast track etc...so I'll stick with AC.

I'm also travelling an awful lot on the EI Regional routes so difficult to get high expenditure.

The joys!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC

apologies if this is covered in another thread - i've just checked through the thread names for the past 6 months and couldn't see it !

so yesterday I was about to book a single DUB-LHR and was trying to work out whether to use my BAEC or AerClub account. i don't travel enough to get status, so it's a simple Avios maximisation calculation.

the single flight was 39.99 EUR with 32.99 EUR of that being taxes/charges and the other 7 eur being "admin fee".

The BA avios calculator says that I would get 75 avios for "Economy lowest (L, S, R, W)" and whilst it wasn't clear what booking class my "Saver" fare would use - I assumed it would be one of these "Economy lowest" buckets.

AerClub says that you earn 3 avios for each EUR excluding "government charges" and baggage/seat fees (I hadn't purchased baggage or seat).

Since I wasn't confident whether the admin and airline charges would be included in the 3x calculation - I could be looking at 3x 7 EUR or 3x 0 EUR.

So I decided to use my BAEC and grab the 75 avios on offer.

Once the booking confirmation email arrived, I discovered that my booking class is actually A - so BAEC will presumably give me ZERO avios !

Aer Lingus Manage My Booking doesn't appear to let my change my ff number. I'm hoping that online checkin will let me - and if not, that I can do it at DUB.

My questions are:

i) how do you know what booking class SAVER/PLUS/ADVANTAGE map to ?
ii) does the Aer Lingus admin fee and non government charges attract the 3x Avios in Aer Club
iii) is there a rule of thumb to help work out where to credit an EI flight ?!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Before you pay you can click on the terms and conditions beside the check box and click on 'Fare basis', the first letter of which is your booking class.

I've always found the avios payouts to be strange, on a return journey to Birmingham, comprised of two €59.99 flights, I got 3 avios from the outbound but 197 on the return. I'm not quite sure what's going on there.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by alancostello
Before you pay you can click on the terms and conditions beside the check box and click on 'Fare basis', the first letter of which is your booking class.

I've always found the avios payouts to be strange, on a return journey to Birmingham, comprised of two €59.99 flights, I got 3 avios from the outbound but 197 on the return. I'm not quite sure what's going on there.
i found the "fare rules" link on the prices page - and then the "fare basis" code at the very end !

on the day i'm travelling, it looks like i would have to spend 68 EUR to get into one of the booking classes that BAEC award their measly 75 avios !
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by alancostello

I'm not quite sure what's going on there.
Its all down to the fare construction and therefore is constantly changing. You can have fares that earn nothing on outbound and earn on the return. Also take a cheapo DUB-LGW-DUB the price you pay could be EUR59 but the fare is 0 and the rest are all fuel supps/taxes so you earn nothing. Then you have a oneway back from the Canaries to DUB that earn quite a bit even on the cheaper fare buckets again due to the fare construction.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Its all down to the fare construction and therefore is constantly changing. You can have fares that earn nothing on outbound and earn on the return. Also take a cheapo DUB-LGW-DUB the price you pay could be EUR59 but the fare is 0 and the rest are all fuel supps/taxes so you earn nothing. Then you have a oneway back from the Canaries to DUB that earn quite a bit even on the cheaper fare buckets again due to the fare construction.
is there any way of disentangling the fare construction ?

on my flight the 32.99 of "Taxes & Charges" presumably includes all sorts of stuff - some of which presumably generate Avios ?!

do you know if the "Admin Fee" counts towards the 3x Avios calculation ?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
is there any way of disentangling the fare construction ?

on my flight the 32.99 of "Taxes & Charges" presumably includes all sorts of stuff - some of which presumably generate Avios ?!

do you know if the "Admin Fee" counts towards the 3x Avios calculation ?
No only the bit that says ''Fare" get AVIOS . Taxes , charges,bags,seat fees do not.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
No only the bit that says ''Fare" get AVIOS . Taxes , charges,bags,seat fees do not.
so playing around with different prices - it looks like the first 43 EUR of any DUB to LHR or LGW flight is currently taxes/charges/admin fees.

so the price would need to be over 68 EUR to earn more Avios in AerClub than in BAEC.

in the opposite direction - it looks like at least the first 61 GBP of any LHR-DUB price is taxes/charges/admin fees. although it's often 73 GBP.

using the 73 GBP level - and the 4x Avios earning rate for GBP - a single flight would need to cost over 91.75 GBP to generate more Avios than BAEC's standard 75

on the LGW-DUB it looks like the first 47 GBP is taxes/charges/admin fees - and this amount doesn't currently fluctuate.

again using AerClub's 4x earning rate for GBP - a single flight would need to cost over 65.75 GBP on this route to generate more Avios than BAEC's standard 75

this all assumes that the Aer Lingus fare is one that qualifies for BAEC Avios !

does it have to be this hard ?!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Is it worth trying to get Aer Club to use my BA Avios account, when I won't ever get

Hi, sorry if it has been asked before, but when I originally got an email about Aer Club, I tried to get them to use my existing Avios registration, but didn't even get a reply. I will never get status again, so is there an advantage to merging the Avios accounts?
I just got the Supervalu email, but the convert function didn't work. Will try tomorrow.
It's a looong time since I was on Flyer talk, and it's taking a while to find my way around the new look.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Hi measures, welcome back..

It's not clear whether you have a Avios.com account and/or a BA Executive Club account. These are different things, and you can have both, and transfer Avios between them, but they're separate.

EI AerClub uses parts of Avios.com and shares the account number. If you have an Avios.com account already, you should be able to link it when signing up for AerClub. If you don't have an Avios.com account when joining EIAC then one is created for you. You cannot use/link your BAEC account to EIAC (but can still transfer Avios between them).

I hold individual BA/IB/EI/Avios accounts and am able to collect Avios in the best programme for earning then transfer them to the best programme for redemption. I can credit UA flights to EI and Hilton hotels to IB, yet pool them into BA for awards. I also get to collect the various bonus Avios each programme sometimes offers. I just have to remember to keep each account active...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.