Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Will Aer Lingus move to T5 at Heathrow? Transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS

Also What is the Transfer like between Aer Lingus at T2 and T5?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
Also What is the Transfer like between Aer Lingus at T2 and T5?
Its easy, follow the purple signs, take bus, 10 minutes

To be honest, its not much more in time than having to arrive at T5C and get back to T5A having to endure the fight through the security

T5A (or T5B hidden bus stop) to T2 is pleasure, transfer security at T2 is separate from the main security so nice and efficient

Regardless of a move, if you come from a non UK airport you have to go through security

T5 only has two 'Irish' gates so no chance of EI moving
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by ROKNA
T5A (or T5B hidden bus stop) to T2 is pleasure, transfer security at T2 is separate from the main security so nice and efficient
Even with Fast track which I normally have, security at T5 is a bit of a nightmare.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
T5 only has two 'Irish' gates so no chance of EI moving
And it initially had no "Irish" gates. Besides, airport/gate configurations are not insurmountable challenges and such considerations would not be impediments.

Iberia and BA were partners for many years before IB moved over to T5. It may happen that EI moves at some point in the future - but I think it very unlikely in the short term.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Aside from there not being room at T5, it probably suits IAG to have EI in T2 as they can keep an eye on what rival airlines there are planning and are asking of the airport.

This is much in the same was that pre-T5, BA kept a single solitary route (MIA) at T3 to keep an eye on VS at terminal committee meetings.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:41 pm

EI will not move to T5 for many reasons but mostly because EI are happy with T2 and the passenger experience. Coupled with their own lounge and the fact EI still feed a decent amount of Star Alliance traffic then there really is no need to move to T5. Those that really do not want a terminal change take the BA metal to T5 to connect to BA.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Those that really do not want a terminal change take the BA metal to T5 to connect to BA.
That's a very Dublin-centric perspective !
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's a very Dublin-centric perspective !
Well DUB is the major airport on the Island. If there was a market for it we would see BA at ORK/SNN but there is not currently. It was not so long ago that SNN lost its SNN-LHR EI service for a while so changing from T2-T5 is hardly an issue and would be a lot more of a hassle for them to drive to DUB all the time. I cant think that anyone in their right mind would suggest moving to T5 just for the ORK / SNN folks...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well DUB is the major airport on the Island. If there was a market for it we would see BA at ORK/SNN but there is not currently.
This is the EI forum! That BA no longer serves those airports is irrelevant. It's only recently that they returned to DUB anyway and there was much speculation as to whether they would continue after the EI IAG takeover.

I cant think that anyone in their right mind would suggest moving to T5 just for the ORK / SNN folks...
No-one did suggest that. Though it sounds like you seem to think that any move would only have been the DUB (and Belfast?) flights...which also makes little sense.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This is the EI forum!
And your point is? Are you saying that because this is the EI forum we cant discuss/mention BA and their routes or lack of between Irish Airports and the UK? Bizarre
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And your point is? Are you saying that because this is the EI forum we cant discuss/mention BA and their routes or lack of between Irish Airports and the UK? Bizarre
My point is: your original post was a very Dublin-centric view.

You then seemed to suggest that if moving was going to happen, it would only be the Dublin (and Belfast?) route, on the basis that BA wasn't sufficiently interested in connecting traffic from ORK/SNN given that they don't serve them. [Or maybe your point was that they wouldn't even want to have DI's DUB route in T5, given that they have their own flights to DUB now. It's not very clear to me].

But any decision would never be BA alone's to make so the reference to BA seemed irrelevant to me; I'm not sure EI would want to split their operation at LHR, and there clearly isn't room at T5 for all of EI.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:32 pm

If IAG decide it's better and more cost effective for EI to move to T5 then that's what will happen, EI themselves won't have much say if the powers that be decide they should move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.