Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Has Aer Lingus considered a day flight from BOS or JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat

I take the day flight from BOS-LHR at least once a month. There are devotees of that flight who take it whenever possible (jetlag is really minimized). I used to be able to take it and then switch to Paris that evening but then the last flight out to Paris was cancelled. I still take the day flight when going to FRA or ZRH then next morning (staying overnight at the Sofitel).

I'd be a regular on a day flight to DUB and that would allow me to connect on connect onward that evening (I usually fly BA F, and it looks like Aer Lingus only has business class, but I'd tough it out). If it left at 8 AM from BOS like the BA flight, it would arrive at 7 PM and one might be able to make 8:30 PM or 9 PM flights to various places.

Do you think there would be sufficient interest in morning flights from the US to DUB? Or, would BA worry about the competition to the flight to LHR?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:45 am

They did have one over the Summer so hopefully it will come back again in some guise next year and maybe be operating for longer. This was the second year it was running. Flight times were ideal and after doing my first day flight JFK-LHR last year I would agree that the day flight is the way to go. ^
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks. Well, if there are any watchers for Aer Lingus: If other folks are like me (and I'm pretty sure given the full BA morning flights to London that there are some), if you scheduled BA morning flights to DUB from BOS and onward flights to Paris or other destinations, I'd be a regular customer.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I don't think EI has the spare capacity to keep a plane parked overnight at BOS in order to run a daytime flight early enough that could arrive in time at DUB to make connections possible.

The summer daytime JFK flight does not allow same-day connections from DUB.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
EI offered the daytime flight from JFK-DUB this past summer (roughly June 9 to August 31). It left JFK at 12 noon and arrived DUB at 2340 Irish time. I took this flight on June 9 with my 1-year-old son, in hopes that it would help him sleep and adjust to the time change better.

We flew up from RIC-LGA on Delta the previous day, spent the night at a hotel in Manhattan and then took an Uber to JFK at around 0930. Check-in at JFK T5 was very easy, with no lines whatsoever, and the flight was only around 60% full. There were also no lines at Irish immigration that late at night; we rented a car from Hertz, stayed at a hotel near DUB airport and both got a good night's sleep.

I much prefer the day flight to a redeye and hope it comes back next year!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
As far as I can tell, the daytime JFK-DUB flight did NOT come back for summer 2017. I'm disappointed but not surprised, especially considering all the new competition EI will have from Norwegian this summer for the leisure market.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
I am sure EI have shed loads of data for the DUB-JFK/BOS routes. I hope that it is just aircraft availability because I would have like to have taken that flight this year. In fact it was quite possible to get meetings done and back on the late flight!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I would be happy to take that flight going to continental Europe replacing overnight flights to other places. I'd stay overnight in Dublin and then head in the next day. I used to take the BA day flight to LHR and then get the last flight out to Paris. BA cancelled that last Paris flight of the day, so that doesn't work anymore. Don't know if there is enough business there for EI.

Because EI is not a high priced J class, it might compete effectively.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
EI will also struggle with onward connectivity from a daylight NYC/BOS-DUB. EI, in the main, does not overnight aircraft at European destinations. As it stands the last flights of the night are to UK destinations, before 20:00, but when the daylight JFK ran it arrived in DUB at 23:30, so far too late for any connections.

With the arrival of 7 A321LR's, Im sure a daytime flight will be back, its an O&D route only though. The westbound leave too early for connections into Dublin, the eastbound arrive too late for connections from Dublin.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge
I would be happy to take that flight going to continental Europe replacing overnight flights to other places. I'd stay overnight in Dublin and then head in the next day.
Totally agree I would do the same. As already mentioned when the 321LR comes it will be back I am sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.