Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points from partner airlines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
Points from partner airlines

Hi All,

Could anyone explain how the points allocation works when flying with partner airlines (United, BA etc)?

Eg. If you were to fly with BA from London to Paris and bought your ticket directly with BA, do you still get GC points if you put in your GC number at the time of booking? Or does this only work when connecting to/from BA/United etc?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Ticket sold by BA on BA code earns points (so EI-BA on a single BA ticket earns on both). So long distance in a low booking class about 100 points, short haul 15-20 ish. This doesn't always post, never works for me on London City flights.

United is pretty generous on points, I've got 83 points on a 2 hour flight on a very cheap ticket, ~200 points on a 4 hour flight. Again I've always had to chase GC to get credit wasn't automatic
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The earning on partners is explained here.

It doesn't matter how you buy your ticket. You don't have to buy it directly from BA. You don't have to be connecting.

You just have to have a ticket in a class that earns (see tables at link above).

Bear in mind that Gold Circle terminates at the end of March. The list of airline partners in the new Aer Club programme has yet to be announced; it is certain that BA will remain a partner, but it could be that United is no longer a partner (or that there will be drastic changes to earning potential on UA).

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 24, 2016 at 8:53 am
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
Thanks to you both for the clarification. It will be interesting to see if/how this changes once Aer Club begins.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Avis President's Club
Quantas!
Café Pacific!!
Would think the airline of Yeats, Shaw et al could do better than this with their web copy.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually hadn't noticed that....
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jjbri
Quantas!
Café Pacific!!
Would think the airline of Yeats, Shaw et al could do better than this with their web copy.
Seriously? Unbelievable....

Both "Quantas" and "Café Pacific"(!) manage to get the spelling of Early Ingots right on their own partner earning pages e.g. Qantas
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have frequently seen CX referred to as "Cathy", and of course you will find almost as many instances of "Quantas" online as "Qantas", but "Cafe" is a new one for me!!!

Too bad they didn't manage an "Untied Airlines" too!

Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:57 am

Anyone know how many points you earn on partner airlines? I'm flying to DFW next month on EI ticket return - I am expecting 300 x 3 for the transatlantic portion, but anything for the domestic within the US?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like someone from EI reads FT. Or else one of our readers contacted EI!

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:59 am

It was actually changed very quickly after someone posted it on Twitter which EI do monitor hourly during business hours.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ is known for its Singapore Girls and the Singapore Sling; I guess I will now forever associate CX with Coffee.

I took a CX F flight on a 747 from BKK almost exactly 3 years ago in which I was the only one in the F cabin; the FA managed to spill both the red wine and the coffee all over my nice linen tablecloth (and didn't replace it); so I have associated them with red wine and coffee ever since!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Dardania
Anyone know how many points you earn on partner airlines? I'm flying to DFW next month on EI ticket return - I am expecting 300 x 3 for the transatlantic portion, but anything for the domestic within the US?
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Ticket sold by BA on BA code earns points (so EI-BA on a single BA ticket earns on both). So long distance in a low booking class about 100 points, short haul 15-20 ish. This doesn't always post, never works for me on London City flights.

United is pretty generous on points, I've got 83 points on a 2 hour flight on a very cheap ticket, ~200 points on a 4 hour flight. Again I've always had to chase GC to get credit wasn't automatic
SO to answer my own query, my experience was a bit different to ROKNA's:

I flew DUB-ORD-DFW-IAD-DUB on an EI ticket.

I received 300 points each way for the trans atlantic portions (and the points came in pretty quick e.g. a day or so after flying)

There was no sign of the North American legs appearing a week after I returned so I emailed [email protected], and they added 300 points to my account - I'm guessing on theory of a European shorthaul flight being worth 150 points each?

Either way, I'm pretty happy - 200 points to go, and I should get Gold Circle awarded - a day trip planned to London next week with an EI ticket on BA to LCY should sort that out
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
No partner follows the 100/150/300 model EI use

UA seems to be based mainly on distance, so for me, recent data points for flights on EI issued TATL tickets

UA 5671 SEA SFO T 83
UA 1057 ORD SEA W 209

In comparison BA seem to be distance bands, LHR-SEA, LHR-GIG always award the same points 100, DUB-LHR is always 21, LHR/LCY-AMS 15
BA 8455 LCY AMS M 15
BA 048 SEA LHR N 100

For the same £/$/€ UA is far better in terms of points awarded than BA

DUB-LCY on BA issued by EI is a unknown currently, might be 100 each way, might be only 21 each way depending on mood of the system
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
No partner follows the 100/150/300 model EI use

UA seems to be based mainly on distance, so for me, recent data points for flights on EI issued TATL tickets

UA 5671 SEA SFO T 83
UA 1057 ORD SEA W 209

In comparison BA seem to be distance bands, LHR-SEA, LHR-GIG always award the same points 100, DUB-LHR is always 21, LHR/LCY-AMS 15
BA 8455 LCY AMS M 15
BA 048 SEA LHR N 100

For the same £/$/€ UA is far better in terms of points awarded than BA

DUB-LCY on BA issued by EI is a unknown currently, might be 100 each way, might be only 21 each way depending on mood of the system
Eeek - have me worried now - I thought I had a fool proof strategy (RE flying EI ticket to LCY) I'll report back anyway. I did choose times of the day where the fare class was O (so not in their excluded fares classes)

I'm flying back from Faro a week or two later so that might make up the difference.

Weird that I got such rounded, logical-to-EIs-system numbers - must have been an oddball case for UA not to award the points back

With UA, it does seem to be pretty generous. I also bundle any star alliance flights I take onto their system - haven't yet claimed anything from them so don't know if they're as generous on spending them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.