Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Aer Lingus Bid to Upgrade Offer

Starting March 2014 Aer Lingus are offering a "bid to upgrade" offer for longhaul passengers.

Eligibility:

Only flights between Ireland, North America and Canada are eligible to be considered for an upgrade. Not all flights are automatically eligible for an upgrade. Eligible passenger will receive an email shortly after booking inviting them to make an offer.

Only bookings made via the Aer Lingus website, mobile app or via the Customer Contact Centre are currently eligible to make an offer to upgrade.

Full details are available here.
Print Wikipost

New: Make an offer to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:32 pm

I am not sure why there is a minimum. Why doesn't EI accept all bids and simply accept or reject those that they think aren't to the companies advantage? By setting a minimum bid, EI is not collecting data which truly tells it what customers think of so-called premium services.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:58 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I am not sure why there is a minimum. Why doesn't EI accept all bids and simply accept or reject those that they think aren't to the companies advantage? By setting a minimum bid, EI is not collecting data which truly tells it what customers think of so-called premium services.
Having no minimum would devalue the product. Also I don't think it would be fair to the customer to give the illusion that a €50 offer would ever be accepted.

All airlines that operate the plusgrade system have a minimum. On a recent EY flight the minimum was €650 one way (C to F).
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Because all PlusGrade auctions for all airline partners come with a minimum bid (together with an indication that the minimum bid stands little chance of being accepted).

And, in "real life", many auctions also have a minimum bid/reserve price.

By allowing any potential bidders to labour under the incorrect assumption that a ridiculously low bid will not only be entertained, but actively considered, also prevents misconceptions amongst the public from leading to disappointment with the whole experience.

Of course, you could say that "but even a bid for €50 means that they get an extra €50 in revenue". But that would also eventually educate the market that the airline in question does not value the product at the price that they normally sell it to paying customers. And that getting to travel in business class is worth a punt at offering a low amount having bought a cheap economy ticket.

Most airlines will want to "preserve" the value of the cabin, and not pack it out in the same way that US carriers do. I recently travelled on a short-haul Brussels Airlines flight for which the minimum bid they would accept for a biz class upgrade on either sector was twice the amount I had originally paid for the ticket.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 22, 2015 at 4:16 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:33 am

My upgrade bids of $460 each way were accepted both to & from Dublin from JFK. I flew out on june 22 & returned july 3rd. On the jfk to Dublin flight there were still a few empty business class seats, while on the 10:40am return flight from Dublin, there were at least 8 empty seats.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Is it still correct that only tickets booked via Aerlingus and not via a TA are eligible for "bid to upgrade"? any updates on bids on the Dub-SFO route? thanks
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:14 am

Min offer to SFO was not accepted on Sept 7th

Flight was very full
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:54 am

Have an upcoming trip beginning midweek so hoping the flight will be quiet + any offers accepted.

My questions are, since there are 2 pax with 1 connection TXL-DUB-JFK, can we chose to upgrade just one or both trans Atlantic flights ie. we make an offer for both of the names on the booking and would like to fly business class on the way there but perhaps not on the return. Is the system smart enough/coded well enough to differentiate between names on the booking and sectors?

Any help appreciated.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Ineligible flights?

Any insight on ineligible flights (even if booked direct with EI)?

Data point: An upcoming EI123 (DUB-ORD) travelling on a Monday and booked through EI website appears to ineligible.

-- Dambus
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:26 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Dambus
Any insight on ineligible flights (even if booked direct with EI)?

Data point: An upcoming EI123 (DUB-ORD) travelling on a Monday and booked through EI website appears to ineligible.

-- Dambus
Could be fully or nearly fully booked.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos
Flying SFO-DUB in two days and my upgrade just came through.

Here's the data:
Bidding started at $970/seat per the tool.
9 business class seats were open/unasigned yesterday (3 days in advance) per expertflyer.
My bid of $1090 was accepted 2 days in advance.

Last edited by nycsfo; Mar 24, 2016 at 4:55 pm Reason: mixed up dates
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Flew DUB-ORD last week; 4 in family.

Bidding started at $400, and I submitted the bid at $400. Got the notification from my card two days before the flight of the charge; thats how I knew we got the upgrades.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: NZ G
Upgrade yourself - what to bid

Hi FT

First time EI flyer here. I have booked ORD-DUB 15 June (the late flight, arriving 9:45am). Upgrade yourself starts at around $400 to go from Y-J. Any feedback on what level of bidding is likely to get me the upgrade?

Thanks in advance
AI
Old May 25, 2016, 2:20 am

This thread has all the information on what people have done previously.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-l...r-upgrade.html
Old May 27, 2016, 11:37 pm

My wife and I flew the ORD-DUB in March (also the late flight, arriving 9:45am). I bid $410/ticket and both were accepted. About half the J seats were empty.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Can you only upgrade a flex economy ticket or is it possible to upgrade from economy/ low (M).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.