Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean leaving star alliance? [Old AusBT forum rumour]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Hello, on the AusBt (Australian Business Traveller) forum there is talk of Aegean leaving Star Alliance. Can anyone confirm?
Also, it is my understanding all domestic flights are now Olympic coded (OA) but Aegean operated, and therefore Star Alliance status is not honoured. Can some also confirm this please?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: A3 Gold
I think the OP refers to this thread. Post #8

https://www.ausbt.com.au/community/v...-within-greece
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:01 am

Indeed, there's been no real talk of Aegean leaving Star Alliance. And please note that this isn't an actual AusBT article but a relatively anonymous user posting on a forum. Big difference, and should be treated accordingly.

Last edited by djsflynn; Jun 12, 2017 at 3:11 am
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:05 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I find this to be a very strange story. The 'Athens station manager' has told this tourist from Australia that 'Aegean will leave *A soon' because of (non) status recognition on domestic flights?

Lets start with the beginning...how would anybody talk to the 'Athens station manager' if such role even exists? This is not some outstation, but the main hub with hundreds of Aegean flights per day..
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

I agree...it definitely make no sense and it all sounds a bit odd. Can you still however earn miles on OA coded flights toward *A?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by yanos
I agree...it definitely make no sense and it all sounds a bit odd. Can you still however earn miles on OA coded flights toward *A?
Νοt with other *A programs. You can only earn miles with Miles & Bonus, as OA is not a *A member
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I would be upset if A3 leaves *A. I hope this is not true.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:10 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jma12
I would be upset if A3 leaves *A. I hope this is not true.
As others have pointed out, you have no need to be concerned at the moment. This story pops up from time to time, perhaps as the AusBT story comes to the top of search lists, but as far as anyone knows there's absolutely no truth in it whatsoever - it's much more likely someone at AusBT made 2+2=5.

The thread title has been amended to reflect what now appears to be the source.

/mod
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Its easy to start a rumour let's see how long this thread goes up to!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:06 pm

Mods, would you consider changing the title of this thread to reflect that this is not an "AusBT rumour" per se?

It's a rumour from a forum on the Australian Business Traveller site but I'd suggest that pretty much everybody considers AusBT as being the news website, the publisher of articles which are researched and considered and not driven by rumour. We don't do just 'rumours' in our reporting.

Perhaps the title could be tweaked to simply be "Aegean leaving star alliance? [old rumour]" ?

Thanks in advance for the consideration...
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Aegean leaving Star Alliance [old rumour]

Sorry if any confusion was caused. For the record, as djsflynn said, this was purely a rumour by a user of AusBT's FORUM. It was not an article or any formal piece of writing. I think rumours like this go around quite often but as I said it is simply forum chatter with no evidence supporting the comments.

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Mods, would you consider changing the title of this thread to reflect that this is not an "AusBT rumour" per se?

It's a rumour from a forum on the Australian Business Traveller site but I'd suggest that pretty much everybody considers AusBT as being the news website, the publisher of articles which are researched and considered and not driven by rumour. We don't do just 'rumours' in our reporting.

Perhaps the title could be tweaked to simply be "Aegean leaving star alliance? [old rumour]" ?

Thanks in advance for the consideration...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Let's put an end to this thread unless there is concrete evidence.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:55 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm aware from RBPs that there is a view out there that this thread should be closed because it is speculative.

However, if we applied that criteria, there probably wouldn't be much left on FT .

There is no rule breach here in raising it, the title now accurately reflects the source, it's a question rather than a statement, so there's no reason to close the thread.

The best way to make threads disappear is not to fuel any fire by contributing further to them @:-)

/mod
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:25 pm

Fake news folks... Slow news day
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Fake news folks... Slow news day
Still, some truth in it! See here...

Last edited by KLouis; Jun 13, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.