Mileage Run Advice

Old May 23, 2017, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G | OW Sapphire
Mileage Run Advice

Hello, Hello,

Time to renew *G. Need only 4 segments in Aegean (or 11k miles otherwise).
Still got last years' 4 upgrade coupons.

The only caveat is that origin and return must be LHR. Needs to be done by 2 June.

Weekend travel only, friday after 16:30.
2/4 June, 16/18 or 23/25 June.

I've been looking and can't find anything less than 600 EUR for the flight alone.
Any ideas?
Old May 23, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...;a=A3,-LH;eo=e
Old May 24, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: A3 *G
There are quite a few destinations in Greece available 16th to 18th June for around 390 euro return (I checked CHQ, HER, RHO) if you fancy that, or they are all about 10 euro less the following weekend. From 16th to 18th you could go to SKG for 335 Euro return. It's a nice city for a weekend break although you'd get there late Friday and leave quite early Sunday.

It won't take you too long to search for more options. To be honest, you've left it quite late and have pretty restrictive dates so I think you're being unreasonable if you expect to get something for any less than that, in the tourist season and only at weekend (and have somebody else find it for you too!). Those took me around three minutes to find using just the A3 site.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is very late, and things are getting worse by the minute...My linked flight went up $70 in a few hours...
Old May 24, 2017, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
There are quite a few destinations in Greece available 16th to 18th June for around 390 euro return (I checked CHQ, HER, RHO) if you fancy that, or they are all about 10 euro less the following weekend. From 16th to 18th you could go to SKG for 335 Euro return. It's a nice city for a weekend break although you'd get there late Friday and leave quite early Sunday.

It won't take you too long to search for more options. To be honest, you've left it quite late and have pretty restrictive dates so I think you're being unreasonable if you expect to get something for any less than that, in the tourist season and only at weekend (and have somebody else find it for you too!). Those took me around three minutes to find using just the A3 site.
Thanks!
It's just that I didn't have time to book before.
My request for ideas was more in the sense of suggestion of where to do the stop over, rather than find me some connections. The 600 EUR is what i'm seeing won't be able to lower so that will have to be what has to be.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
It is very late, and things are getting worse by the minute...My linked flight went up $70 in a few hours...
Thanks for the effort and tip! I ddnd't know google flights had input commands a la ITA Matrix
Old May 25, 2017, 12:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Eurostar / BA RFS to Paris
Search for the cheapest domestic return flight while you are in ATH
S fare is upgradeable if availability
Plenty of options from other European start points for less than 200 plus cost of getting there
Buy from Expedia or Amex Travel

Old May 25, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is a much better one for $400:
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...;a=A3,-LH;eo=e

Last edited by nk15; May 25, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Old May 26, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

thanks guys!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: A3 *G
For those looking to come to Greece to re-qualify/get their 4 segments in September/October there are some really good deals right now on flights from regional airports (NOT Athens). For example, I just booked CHQ-ATH-EDI in October for 71 euro when, on the same day the same ATH-EDI flight was being offered for 119 euro!

There are also these offers on flights to DUB through the end of September and into October. The cheap promo seems to work from CHQ, HER, JMK, RHO, SKG etc. plus maybe a few others. I don't seem to be able to find a similar offer on flights inbound to Greece.

So, if you're coming for your segments, consider not booking the whole trip as one itinerary, or not booking to ATH and adding the island flights later, but maybe start by looking for your northbound flight first.

And don't be put off by the high prices offered when you initially search the flights - the cheap prices show up when you select the date you want. This makes me think they're maybe listed in error, but the flights ARE bookable.

Just a thought that might help someone.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Just stumbled across this 'deal' on SK: AGP-ARN-CPH-NRT-CPH-ARN-AGP at 880 EUR in booking class A (SAS Plus):

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...GP0SK6003;sc=p

TYO is notoriously expensive to get to with SK, especially in Y+, but if one could position quite cheaply and needs to go to Japan in the autumn, this is a pretty cheap way to get plus 30K miles. Of course, there's always the off chance that A3 cut miles earnings on SK Y+, but then we've been saying that for years...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by groovyfly
Just stumbled across this 'deal' on SK: AGP-ARN-CPH-NRT-CPH-ARN-AGP at 880 EUR in booking class A (SAS Plus):

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...GP0SK6003;sc=p

TYO is notoriously expensive to get to with SK, especially in Y+, but if one could position quite cheaply and needs to go to Japan in the autumn, this is a pretty cheap way to get plus 30K miles. Of course, there's always the off chance that A3 cut miles earnings on SK Y+, but then we've been saying that for years...
Thanks for this.
I need about 5600 miles for Gold before 12th of April (did all Aegean requirements already)... I was thinking to fly SAS Plus to PVG (for 850 too on many dates throughout the year) but I don't want to fly to China again, plus the expensive visa.

If anyone else can share a great deal for 5600 miles from Europe... I have a hard time finding good deals. I don't mind Africa or non-touristy destinations.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:56 pm

That's not a lot. I would just do a short-haul week-end in Europe, plenty of cities are nice to visit for little hassle.

A return ticket GVA-VIE-TXL in Business Saver Z fare gives 8000 miles already, for less than 450.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I believe the same also works for HKG. Perhaps also China, however no visa needed for most!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I fly from New Zealand to Europe each year. As there are loads of *A operators in and out means get near enough to 12000 miles each way and some very good deals in most classes. Same applies from what I have seen Europe/New Zealand/Europe. Can go thru US/Canada or thru many places in Asia such as China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok. It is also possible to go thru South America as something different. LH does Frankfurt to Buenos Aries with Air NZ the next sector to Auckland and of course vice-versa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.