Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Mileage accrual when booking through a consolidator (Opodo, Tripsta, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Hi All

As per the title, I'm curious to understand whether or not flights bought through some of the more obscure 3rd party consolidators such as Opodo, Tripsta, Gotogate, etc. would qualify for mileage accrual on Aegean flights?

I seldom use these consolidators but flights are somehow 30% cheaper on them than directly with Aegean, and I'm not planning on checking any luggage in anyway (but definitely want to accrue miles).

Any thoughts / recommendations / warnings to steer clear from them?

Thanks.

K
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:08 am

Can't say much about Tripsta and Gotogate, but I don't understand why you call Opodo "obscure". It was founded by a consortium of 9 major airlines and it recently merged with other on-line TAs, forming a mega shop. At any rate, you'll earn exactly what A3 promises for the ticket/fare class combination you bought.

As for the prices, I've never found any ticket which was 30% cheaper than what's offered in airlines' home pages. If i had, i would have grabbed it!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by KLouis
Can't say much about Tripsta and Gotogate, but I don't understand why you call Opodo "obscure". It was founded by a consortium of 9 major airlines and it recently merged with other on-line TAs, forming a mega shop. At any rate, you'll earn exactly what A3 promises for the ticket/fare class combination you bought.

As for the prices, I've never found any ticket which was 30% cheaper than what's offered in airlines' home pages. If i had, i would have grabbed it!
Today, I searched for late availability tickets LHR-LCA and LCA-LHR. One flight priced at €300 on the A3 website was actually only €200 on Opodo so the OP may be correct in his 30% cheaper claim. I have never seen such undercutting of prices before and will now double check before making bookings.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
As long as you get to see the fare class before and check if it earns miles, you should be fine. The difficulty with such flights are often the additional services, eg, making changes to the itinerary after booking. Also you may not be able to upgrade to business class through a voucher as some OTA's issue Aegean tickets on other airlines stock.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Can't say much about Tripsta
Tripsta is the international brand name of travelplanet24.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
On Tripsta booking class is shown during reservation.
On Opodo it is impossible to check booking class
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by johnirvine
Today, I searched for late availability tickets LHR-LCA and LCA-LHR. One flight priced at €300 on the A3 website was actually only €200 on Opodo
Was it actually bookable? I regularly see fares that end up unbookable.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
As long as you get to see the fare class before and check if it earns miles, you should be fine. The difficulty with such flights are often the additional services, eg, making changes to the itinerary after booking. Also you may not be able to upgrade to business class through a voucher as some OTA's issue Aegean tickets on other airlines stock.

Tripsta is the international brand name of travelplanet24.
But how it's possible to issue tickets into other airlines stock with A3 flight numbers if the itinerary only includes A3 flights? Ok, might be possible to issue OA 390-stock as they are "same" company, but not for others. With connections on UA for example it's possible, but don't think only with A3 flights.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:26 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Furry
But how it's possible to issue tickets into other airlines stock with A3 flight numbers if the itinerary only includes A3 flights? Ok, might be possible to issue OA 390-stock as they are "same" company, but not for others. With connections on UA for example it's possible, but don't think only with A3 flights.
Any airline that has a relationship with Aegean can issue tickets with Aegean segments on their ticket stock. One such example is United, you can book tickets on their website containing only Aegean segments. Such ticket would be issued by United.

OTA's can use this fact to compare prices, for the same flights, through different airlines. Normally going direct with Aegean would be the cheapest, but in some cases it may be that eg United is actually cheaper.

Therefore you are not guaranteed that a ticket with only Aegean segments is always issued by Aegean. Through OA is indeed a common case (which also means that the tickets cannot be upgraded with a coupon by the way), but others are also possible.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
I often book through Tripsta, never had any issue with them whatsoever.

Especially for open jaws or flights via ATH (eg. OTP-ATH-LHR) an OTA can often be significantly cheaper (and offering connections not available through the A3 website as often discussed here, for example with a night stopover in ATH).

Heck, even for a simple OW like OTP-ATH its often 4-5 EUR cheaper at Tripsta than at A3 or any other OTA.

Also upgrading ny OTA issued tickets with A3 coupons so far always worked.

(I use Tripsta's Irish website as its in English and prices in EUR)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I didn't know where to post this, so I'll park it here.

There's currently a quite attractive promo fare for direct DUB-LAX flights with Ethiopian....books into Q fare (100% earnings with Miles&Bonus), so that's 10,300 miles for around 375 EUR if you're willing to use one of the OTAs. It's also bookable directly on ET's website for not much more. I'm seeing lots of dates from September right through to March next year.

Quite a nice fare without having to fly up to Scandinavia!

https://www.google.com/flights/?curr...a=ET;so=p;eo=e
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.