Status matching?

Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Status matching?

I'm OW Emerald with LATAM. What are my chances of a status match with A3? Is there anything I should do to improve my chances?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by IanWorthington
I'm OW Emerald with LATAM. What are my chances of a status match with A3? Is there anything I should do to improve my chances?
Chances are zero and there's nothing you can do about it.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @KLouis.

What's the story? A3 never status match or what?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Thanks @KLouis.

What's the story? A3 never status match or what?
They only offer status match once to Sunmile account, the Cyprus airline went out of business.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

OK, thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jma12
They only offer status match once to Sunmile account, the Cyprus airline went out of business.
They also matched Spanair's FF program members when that airline went out of business in 2012.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:48 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A3 has historically matched in specific circumstances and sometimes more generally. You can add BMI to the specifics list from when they left Star after being bought by BA in 2012.

However, it seems like that's bitten them, hence the re-launch of the FFP and the tightening of the qualification (now arguably one of the more difficult to achieve for non-European residents)/re-qualification requirements in order to reduce the number of Gold members. Having achieved that, it's extremely unlikely they'll try and increase them again via the vehicle of a status match campaign.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

However, it seems like that's bitten them, hence the re-launch of the FFP and the tightening of the qualification (now arguably one of the more difficult to achieve for non-European residents)/re-qualification requirements in order to reduce the number of Gold members. Having achieved that, it's extremely unlikely they'll try and increase them again via the vehicle of a status match campaign.
In a way, I'd say, that the fact they have tightened the rules, is all the more of a reason why sometime in the future they would start being more flexible on status-matching, when realising how many people they have cut off from elite status.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
In a way, I'd say, that the fact they have tightened the rules, is all the more of a reason why sometime in the future they would start being more flexible on status-matching, when realising how many people they have cut off from elite status.
Let's not look at it from the point of view of those who can no longer re-qualify as easily as it used to be. I'm thinking of the A3/OA flights requirement, which is the major reason for not being able to achieve and keep status. Why, therefore, make a Gold membership gift to people who will, most probably never fly with A3/OA and will use the Gold status to simply cause expenses (especially usage of lounges overseas). I really doubt that the company execs are so naive: they cut off those people simply because they wanted to cut off so many people!

The bottom line is that most, if not all programs (I'm aware of) gradually make it more and more difficult to achieve and maintain the highest status level. TK is one exception, but at the rate this airline expanded over the last 5-10 years, it made sense to attract as many people as possible. The question (obviously OT) is: will TK be able to survive this massive expansion now that tourism in Turkey is negatively affected by both war, terrorism and internal political problems?

Last edited by KLouis; Nov 25, 2016 at 2:17 am
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm OW Emerald with LATAM.
Don't you mean Golden Commode?

A3 is one of the easiest *A programs in which to obtain status - even more so if you actually fly on A3 occasionally - so if you need the status, earning it the old fashioned way is not so difficult.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Don't you mean Golden Commode?
Regrettably LATAM have retired that name. I'm just plain LATAM Black these days. Tricky to make a variant on that without someone taking it the wrong way.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KLouis
Let's not look at it from the point of view of those who can no longer re-qualify as easily as it used to be. I'm thinking of the A3/OA flights requirement, which is the major reason for not being able to achieve and keep status. Why, therefore, make a Gold membership gift to people who will, most probably never fly with A3/OA and will use the Gold status to simply cause expenses (especially usage of lounges overseas). I really doubt that the company execs are so naive: they cut off those people simply because they wanted to cut off so many people!

The bottom line is that most, if not all programs (I'm aware of) gradually make it more and more difficult to achieve and maintain the highest status level. TK is one exception, but at the rate this airline expanded over the last 5-10 years, it made sense to attract as many people as possible. The question (obviously OT) is: will TK be able to survive this massive expansion now that tourism in Turkey is negatively affected by both war, terrorism and internal political problems?
KLouis, you brought up a good point about TK. I highly doubt TK's FFP will remain the same for the next couple years. It is also very difficult to redeem their miles on *A partners.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by KLouis

I can see quite a few changes coming to TK in general and their FF program will not go untouched. With the situation in Turkey getting worse by the day and fights brewing with the EU and terrorism expected to get worse it will be more and more difficult for TK to avoid more cuts and changes to policy.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Miles&More ; A3*G
I can confirm that status match is difficult with A3. I asked, for my wife, to match her "Freccia Alata" (Alitalia - The equivalent of "Skyteam Elite Plus") status but they answered "no"
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Giamasetti
I can confirm that status match is difficult with A3. I asked, for my wife, to match her "Freccia Alata" (Alitalia - The equivalent of "Skyteam Elite Plus") status but they answered "no"
Hmm, that's a shame. Does anybody know who would match Alata? That would be very useful indeed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.