Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requalification/status extension 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: A3,LH,AB,IHG
I initially missed re-qualification by 150 miles as the return leg of a LH round trip flight (each leg worth 250 miles) did not post. First missing miles claim rejected by LH. Second claim in Nov also rejected but with a reason saying contact A3. The call was impressively efficient. The call center employee went away, checked, said she could see that I have taken the flight in the appropriate class, said that I did not need to take another flight, this would require manual action and some time.
In the meantime the dreaded day arrived and I got my downgrade mail. 24 hours later the segment posted and I got gold my renewal. This all took 5 days.
A3 call center is not perfect but miles ahead of AB and even LH.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shanahoe
I initially missed re-qualification by 150 miles as the return leg of a LH round trip flight (each leg worth 250 miles) did not post. First missing miles claim rejected by LH. Second claim in Nov also rejected but with a reason saying contact A3. The call was impressively efficient. The call center employee went away, checked, said she could see that I have taken the flight in the appropriate class, said that I did not need to take another flight, this would require manual action and some time.
In the meantime the dreaded day arrived and I got my downgrade mail. 24 hours later the segment posted and I got gold my renewal. This all took 5 days.
A3 call center is not perfect but miles ahead of AB and even LH.
Check your account to see if you have 8 upgrade vouchers. I experienced the similar and end up with 8 upgrade vouchers in my account. I expect them to take away 4 of them later...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Received my Gold card today! Requalified 28/10. Very happy ^
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Re-Qualifikation Oct 17 - no Card yet

Family member qualified in September, received card mid October...

Card production / mailing seems to be totally random...

The Gold package finally arrived today.
In case anyone is interested, the number on the top right reads 000526-GRE (which is different from last year where it was 004124-GRE)
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: A3,LH,AB,IHG
Originally Posted by chongcao
Check your account to see if you have 8 upgrade vouchers. I experienced the similar and end up with 8 upgrade vouchers in my account. I expect them to take away 4 of them later...
Just Checked and see that I have 6 upgrade vouchers!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shanahoe
Just Checked and see that I have 6 upgrade vouchers!
My 8 vouchers comes with 3 batches judging from the serial numbers. The first two was given when they downgraded me to Silver. Then they added 2 for whatever the reason is before the final 4 when they found the missing sectors of which I become Gold.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
As a data point, I have now received the card valid till Oct 2018.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
As a data point, I have now received the card valid till Oct 2018.
Are you sure of that date?

And if so, are you not puzzled? And if not - why not?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I seem to recall that LTN Phobia mentioned that he/she qualified for 2016 and then for 2017 almost immediately after the new period started. Perhaps the second re-qualification happened before the 2017 card with the 2017 expiration date was sent out. We are still waiting for cards in Sweden (from Nov 4th) and could also re-qualify for 2017 before the cards are handled. If so, it will be interesting to see if we have a 2017 or 2018 expiration.

Last edited by livious; Dec 7, 2016 at 5:16 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Requalified in August, card received today in Finland with a stamp "Missent to Fiji Islands - Suva/FJ01/FJ-C"..

Doesn't have a sent date on it, but suspect it's been on a way for a long time. Expiry 11/2017.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by livious
If so, it will be interesting to see if we have a 2017 or 2018 expiration.
It's not possible to requalify "more than once" in any single membership year. In your current year, you can only requalify for at most an additional 12 months onto your current expiry date - regardless of the amount of flying you do. As such, people requalifying in 2016 cannot receive a card with a date other than the same date in 2017.

When you reach the target required to retain Gold, your "new" year doesn't automatically start at that date. You still must serve out the full year of your current Gold membership - and in these months/weeks til the end of the current year, any further Tier Miles will have absolutely no effect. And there is no roll-over. You start each new membership year with the same target, regardless of how easily or quickly you may have met the target in the previous membership year: each year requires 12k miles and 4 A3 segments, or 24k miles, accrued during that very membership year, in order to extend membership for another 12 months (max).

(For simplicity let's use a Gold member whose membership year is aligned to the calendar year).

In 2016, once you have already retained Gold for your next year - 2017 - you still have to finish your current year. Any further flying during 2016 does nothing for your status, does not add to your tier miles balance [but continues to increase your Award Mile balance, of course]. Even if you manage enough flying for another year of Gold - i.e. another 12k miles with 4 A3 sectors/24k miles without A3 sectors by the end of the current year - you don't get any additional tier miles, and you don't get "another Gold year" - as you already have Gold secured for the next year, 2017.

Once you start your new membership year, you can now receive the benefit of Tier Miles flown in that new year, and you are shown a target to obtain by the end of that year. But it is the same thing again that year. Even if you requalify for Gold in the first week of your new membership year - meaning Gold for the next year (2018) is secured - and spend the rest of 2017 flying around - you don't get any more Tier Miles, and you cannot "extend" your Gold into further, distant years.

Given that we are currently in 2016, and given that Gold for each year must be earned in the immediately preceding year only, there should be no-body who has yet received any card with a 2018 expiry date (let alone as late in the year as what was reported above).

We had one report - and scan - of somebody receiving an anomolous expiry date but, until Phobia came along, there were no further such reports.

And it could just be a typo!

Last edited by irishguy28; Dec 7, 2016 at 4:31 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Furry
Requalified in August, card received today in Finland with a stamp "Missent to Fiji Islands - Suva/FJ01/FJ-C"..

Doesn't have a sent date on it, but suspect it's been on a way for a long time. Expiry 11/2017.
How inconsiderate of your card to go on holiday without you!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
How inconsiderate of your card to go on holiday without you!
I hope it returned from Fiji feeling fully recharged!

Instacharge: Suspicious smartphone app endorsed by Fiji government
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
When you reach the target required to retain Gold, your "new" year doesn't automatically start at that date.
Wrong, it does when you qualify for Gold the first time. I will not speak for LTN Phobia, but in my daughter's case she earned A3 Gold for the first time on Nov 4th, which started her new qualification period and grant her Gold until Nov 3rd, 2017. In theory she could re-qualify in the following week...or before the Gold card was sent out. As A3 seems to process them in batches, why would it not be possible for the card to be sent out with Nov 4th, 2018 as the date...which would be correct as she had already re-qualified for the next year (as it started immediately after she

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I qualified for Gold and then re-qualified shortly after that, so now my expiry date is well into 2018.
My posts are based on what LTN Phobia has stated. I am using the following time line:
(1) Qualified for Gold (not re-qualified!). Date for the re-qualification is reset.
(2) Re-qualify in a short time frame based on the new date
(3) Aegean goes to send the card at a later date (batch processing) and the system shows that status has been extended through 2018, which would be correct. Why not print the card with expiration in 2018?

As LTN Phobia has asked this question already in anticipation of a 2018 expiration date and claims to have a card with a 2018 expiration, I think my theory can make sense...at least until it is a clear that the 2018 is a typo.

Last edited by livious; Dec 7, 2016 at 5:26 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: *A-A3-*S, *A M&M FTL *S, EI-Green, AccorGold
Originally Posted by livious
Wrong, it does when you qualify for Gold the first time. I will not speak for LTN Phobia, but in my daughter's case she earned A3 Gold for the first time on Nov 4th, which started her new qualification period and grant her Gold until Nov 4th, 2017. In theory she could requalify in the coming week before the Gold card was sent out. As A3 seems to process them in batches, why would it not be possible for the card to be sent out with Nov 4th, 2018 as the date...which would be correct as she had already requalified for the next year (as it started immediately after she

My posts are based on what LTN Phobia has stated. I am using the following time line:
(1) Qualified for Gold (not requalified!). Date for the requalification is reset.
(2) Requalify in a short time frame based on the new date
(3) Aegean goes to send the card at a later date (batch processing) and the system shows that status has been extended through 2018, which would be correct.

As LTN Phobia has asked this question already in anticipation of a 2018 expiration date, I think my theory can make sense...at least until it is a clear that the 2018 is a typo.
Nicely put, tack sa mycket!

Another scenario is those like me who have (temporarily) dropped to silver from gold. (for work/family reasons, no usual Asian requalify flights in 2016, and my LX Euro flight history didn't earn).

As I flew A3 twice in both June and November 2016 so my partner to retain Gold, my renewal can also be any time from June 2016 until June 2017 to requalify for Gold or from now until November 2017 to requalify for Silver.

Therefore depending on my target for the remainder of 2016 I have two requalification counters running: Gold until June 2017, and Silver until Nov 2017.

I don't believe my fellow Irishmans's post envisages such a scenario, but it exists for me, and there may be others. Wish me luck on requaling .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.