Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance when business one way and economy return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:19 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC

Just wanting to check I understand baggage allowances on A3 correctly. I'm flying with them next month, heading business in one direction (with an upgrade coupon) but returning in economy (the ticket was originally booked in economy).

My understanding is that the baggage allowance for business will only apply on the way out, and that I'll be reverted to the economy allowance on the return (as opposed to having the most generous allowance applied in both directions. Is that correct?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: A3*G
You're right.
The business allowance would apply, if you had a connecting flight. It does not on a return flight, though. I've had A3 flights with C and Y on the same ticket and on C on one flight and Y on return, so I can verify.

As far as I know the allowance of the longest flight is valid for all flights on the same ticket in the same direction.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Arrivals
You're right.
The business allowance would apply, if you had a connecting flight. It does not on a return flight, though. I've had A3 flights with C and Y on the same ticket and on C on one flight and Y on return, so I can verify.
That's true

As far as I know the allowance of the longest flight is valid for all flights on the same ticket in the same direction.
This not. The greatest allowance applies, irrespective of flight duration. On a recent OTP-ATH-BRU with only the first (and shortest) sector upgraded to C, it also counted for the connecting flight to BRU a day later.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: A3,BA
OTP-ATH-BRU is on the same IATA sub area (Europe), so 1st international flight is what dictates the allowances.

Hint: IATA Resolution 302 (Most Significant Carrier)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by jousis
OTP-ATH-BRU is on the same IATA sub area (Europe), so 1st international flight is what dictates the allowances.

Hint: IATA Resolution 302 (Most Significant Carrier)
Without going into the general merit of this discussion: The carrier being the same (A3) in your example, your argument is illogical. There is no way that you can attribute the MSC (most significant carrier) label to A3 because it's the one operating the 1st international flight. If this were correct, then A3 operating the 2nd international flight would no longer be the MSC! According to Aristotle's 2nd principle A cannot be B and non-B at the same time. So, let's leave reasoning aside, along with IATA's Resolution 302 sets rules for itins with more than one carrier.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:35 am

OK, you probably know more than me, but had the exact same problem with A3 and I got the MSC "rule" explanation.

Other carriers also apply this rule even when travelling with only one carrier on a mixed-class ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jousis
OK, you probably know more than me...
No, I really don't, and this is why I'm not contributing any ideas. I'm simply saying that the IATA resolution cited does not offer the solution to the riddle.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:06 pm

MSC guideline is used by other carriers that way (carrier is used as segment).
That's why I only "hinted" 302 and not said "this is explained in 302".

CX also use it for the exact same purpose.
Passengers flying a multi-leg journey (either in different classes or on a codeshare flight) will need to work out their most significant carrier(MSC).
This is the segment of the trip that is considered most significant by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), and dictates the baggage policy for the entire journey.

carrier becomes segment magically

Anyway, apart from one time with A3 (which was the 1st time I heard about MSC rule actually), I never had this issue again so my experience is minimal.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:19 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.