Wiki Posts
Search

Charged for international baggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Charged for international baggage

Hi,
I'm flying TXL-ATH-CAI today and was charged 40EUR for my only pc of baggage. Fare class is K. Did this have anything to do with the fact that I wanted to retrieve baggage in ATH? Maybe K is GoLight on intra-Europe so I had to pay to check it intra-Europe.. doesn't make sense since the whole itinerary is international. Outbound was in Q and I didn't get charged.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Whats your FF status and is it all on Aegean?

Miles+Bonus Gold
1 piece 32/23 kg, depending on booked fare

Even on a SAVER fare a GOLD member gets 1 free bag

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 21, 2016 at 6:57 am
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:00 am

If you had a golight economy fare and you don't have gold status, that seems correct.

You can feel lucky that they didn't charge you Euro 70 for paying at the airport.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:17 am

The booking class (as "defined" by capital letters) is not necessarily linked in a strict way to the fare class (as "defined" by the terms GoLight, flex and Business). While the booking class may well be different for two legs of a given itin (same ticket), the fare class is often (or is it always?) the same. My guess is that you had a GoLight ticket and the fee reflected both of its legs, even if you retrieved your luggage in ATH.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
How did you buy this ticket?

The Aegean website - together with the confirmation email and eticket sent when you buy on their website - clearly shows the fare type (as well as the fare class, which is unrelated to the fare family) and the baggage allowance associated with that fare family (and taking account of your status if you have status and added your number).

If you bought from a third party they likely brought your attention to the lack of a free baggage allowance at some point in the booking process.

Just out of curiosity - what made you think "U" always comes with a baggage allowance?

https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-information/baggage/baggage-allowance/
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:34 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As others have pointed out, the fare class does not bear any relation to the ticket type/conditions. You can perfectly easily have a HBO fare that earns more miles than one that includes checked luggage.

The other slight misconception here is that because it was an international flight checked baggage would be included. That's not the case with A3 (or, indeed, many other airlines for their intra-Europe or similar flights). A3 offers HBO fares on all its routes, I believe. You might not get the option with some OA flights on smaller planes where they need to make people check luggage because it simply won't easily fit in the overhead, so HBO is not offered.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by rimoabdallah
Hi,
Maybe K is GoLight on intra-Europe so I had to pay to check it intra-Europe.. doesn't make sense since the whole itinerary is international. Outbound was in Q and I didn't get charged.
The fare class has nothing to do with whether your ticket is GoLight of Flex. You can get both types of ticket in all fare classes. If you booked GoLight and don't have status then of course they would charge you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.