Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

M+B Zero Miles for Lufthansa "Business Basic" fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M+B Zero Miles for Lufthansa "Business Basic" fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
And most importantly, they won't get it.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by nk15
Unless you are in Germany/Switz/Austria, of course, which I am guessing is their target group.
I am based in Germany, and I still managed to avoid the Lufthansa Group for almost all my long haul trips. Flying to CPH to take a SK flight from there, for example, is usually a small investment of time for a big return in miles.

I do wonder, though, whether this kind of "boycott" would be more effective if accompanied by a polite letter to the LH customer service, explaining why I did not choose their product. Maybe I am too optimistic.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by nk15
And most importantly, they won't get it.
Same here. Except: I had to book a transatlantic from FRA, and UA wouldn't allow more than 330 days out. So my return had to be on LH metal. I'm not looking fwd to it. But UA just wouldn't sell the ticket.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:49 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by tancredi
I do wonder, though, whether this kind of "boycott" would be more effective if accompanied by a polite letter to the LH customer service, explaining why I did not choose their product. Maybe I am too optimistic.
It won't make any difference - we are individually throughly unimportant to any airline of the size of LH. They simply won't care - the best you'll get is a cut & paste response which probably won't address any of the points you've made. You'd get exactly the same from AF, KL, BA et al.

What you've already done - not booking at all - is the right message. LH only cares about the bottom line, so it'll believe that the volume of passengers it loses to other carriers because of stingy earning is offset by the savings. Only if it's got those sums badly wrong (or the economic environment changes) will the attitude change. If enough people do the same as you, then perhaps the load factor will reach the tipping point where LH needs to incentivise you to come back - but, given most people only care about the lowest fare, I suspect that will be a long time coming.

Your current choice of airline - SK - is a case in point. Earning used to be amongst the most stingy in Star (SK was the first airline to only give 25% earning in low cost Y), but once it became obvious the airline needed bums on seats to be able to survive, along came the incentive of 100%/200% earnings and even minimums. Once they recover financially, that may well not continue and there'll be a return to LH-like behaviour.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 23, 2016 at 1:55 am
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
Same here. Except: I had to book a transatlantic from FRA, and UA wouldn't allow more than 330 days out. So my return had to be on LH metal. I'm not looking fwd to it. But UA just wouldn't sell the ticket.
Unfortunately, in this case LH doesn't care if you fly them or UA. Thanks to the joint venture, they get their share of your money no matter what.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:58 am

LH Group avoiding is possible even if based in DE/AT/CH. Flying mostly with Oneworld these days due to high fares of LH&Co, their extra charges for bags/seats and the no/low amount of miles credited for their affordable fares. They will only change their policy if they see passengers and revenue moving away (though they will of course never admit it).
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by witlesspax
Unfortunately, in this case LH doesn't care if you fly them or UA. Thanks to the joint venture, they get their share of your money no matter what.
They do have a JV. But I would find it hard to believe if there was really no monetary advantage to UA to fly a passenger instead of LH. Do you have details on that?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
They do have a JV. But I would find it hard to believe if there was really no monetary advantage to UA to fly a passenger instead of LH. Do you have details on that?
Obviously the exact terms of any JV will be commercially sensitive, but most of them are direct revenue share. The oneworld TATL one between AY/BA/AA certainly operates on that basis, and indeed BA actively advertises the number of lie flat J class seats it can offer from London with its partnership with AA.

There are many advantages to this for the airlines in terms of fixing prices and managing inventory between them.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:24 am

I have no information other than what NWIFlyer wrote but the general assumption around FT at least seems to be that this JV is direct revenue share.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does LH credit these P fares for HON status?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by witlesspax
I have no information other than what NWIFlyer wrote but the general assumption around FT at least seems to be that this JV is direct revenue share.
But is it also a direct cost share? Obviously, the cost of flying a Lufthansa A380 FRA-LAX is far higher than flying a United B752 OSL-EWR.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
But is it also a direct cost share? Obviously, the cost of flying a Lufthansa A380 FRA-LAX is far higher than flying a United B752 OSL-EWR.
Don't you think that this is an oranges vs. apples comparison? What about cost (also revenue!) per mile per passenger? This doesn't lead anywhere...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:16 am

Yes, it's oranges vs apples, but revenue sharing also appears to be just that if the airlines divide revenue equally between partners.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:04 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by RedChili
Yes, it's oranges vs apples, but revenue sharing also appears to be just that if the airlines divide revenue equally between partners.
Do we know that they divide it exactly equally, or is it in proportion to, for example, the number of seats or aircraft each airline sells / provides?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Lufthansa is a long time souvenir for me, i avoid them at all cost... almost useless except for C and J fully flex, other fares really gives you nothing (literally in some cases indeed). Can be now applied to Austrian and Swiss (only good credit i get is with LH > PS, very generous even on cheap fares, can be useful if travelling in ukraine as the upgrade with miles are very cheap on LS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.