Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck at Athens airport, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

Probably a very good reason, to return to the actual subject of the thread, to get A3 to arrange and pay for the transport in any EC261 claim if at all possible ... then there's absolutely no argument.
And hotel if at all possible. It saves having to pay for it in advance and claim it back.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The Holiday Inn I'm talking about is 12 KM from the airport, right off of the toll road. If someone got charged 30 euros, they got robbed, unless taxis only do flat rates from the airport and don't run the meter. It was still 38 euros two months ago, flat rate, all inclusive, from the airport to the central area, which is around 31 km from the airport.

Interesting enough, on my return to the airport back in May, the taxi driver asked me if I was in a hurry. I said no, so he said for 30 euros, it will about 10-15 minutes longer and take the scenic route. It was fine, we drove through some small towns and everything, running a few KMs parallel to the toll road on Leof. Lavriou and Leof. Markopoulou. I guess the tolls are 8 Euros or so, and he didn't like paying them. It did take about 15 minutes longer than it did on the ride in, so no problem there.

He crossed himself at every church we passed, and there were quite a few churches.

Last edited by catocony; Jul 18, 2016 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by catocony
The Holiday Inn I'm talking about is 12 KM from the airport, right off of the toll road. If someone got charged 30 euros, they got robbed, unless taxis only do flat rates from the airport and don't run the meter. It was still 38 euros two months ago, flat rate, all inclusive, from the airport to the central area, which is around 31 km from the airport.

Interesting enough, on my return to the airport back in May, the taxi driver asked me if I was in a hurry. I said no, so he said for 30 euros, it will about 10-15 minutes longer and take the scenic route. It was fine, we drove through some small towns and everything, running a few KMs parallel to the toll road on Leof. Lavriou and Leof. Markopoulou. I guess the tolls are 8 Euros or so, and he didn't like paying them. It did take about 15 minutes longer than it did on the ride in, so no problem there.

He crossed himself at every church we passed, and there were quite a few churches.
The tolls are 2.80 (and less if you have an e-pass), so he would still be losing money (I would imagine taking the side roads would waste a little bit more gas, too). Doesn't make sense to me :P

Btw, I always wondered if the flat rate was only for the center of Athens. I lived in Vrilissia (15-20 mins via Attiki Odos, way out from the center), but I never got a chance to test this because I usually took my own car to the airport and back. Anyone know?

Last edited by blackball; Jul 18, 2016 at 3:20 pm Reason: corrected toll cost
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I was told it was only for the center of the center. If you were down by the Intercontinental and the other big hotels along that road, you don't qualify for the flat rate and they use the meter, which is more than 40 euros. I don't know what areas the flat rate covers - I'm sure there's a map on-line somewhere - but I'm pretty sure a meter ride from the airport to the Holliday Inn Airport is less than 30 euros.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Ask her to go to the Sofitel which is the closest to the airport. Unless she is a Gold member she should not get lounge access.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by catocony
There's a Holiday Inn a few miles from the hotel that might have a shuttle.

As far as the *A lounges at ATH, there's a small LH Business lounge (no Senator at ATH) that doesn't even have a bathroom (use one in the hallway), and a larger Aegean lounge that does have a bathroom but no shower. The Aegean lounge isn't exactly smoke-filled, but it does have a smoking area that leaves the whole club smelling like an ashtray.
Yes that HI does have an airport shuttle and its a very nice property, we were there this May.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am surprised that if A3 handed out a meal voucher, that it did not take care of a hotel voucher at the same time.

If not provided, push hard for the voucher.

Bear in mind that if you do have to Uber to/from a hotel, that too is reimburseable.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:02 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
I am surprised that if A3 handed out a meal voucher, that it did not take care of a hotel voucher at the same time.

If not provided, push hard for the voucher.

Bear in mind that if you do have to Uber to/from a hotel, that too is reimburseable.
It sounds like the flight was only delayed at the time the meal voucher was handed out, but was then subsequently cancelled - necessitating the overnight.

The OP's sister assumed the US system of being responsible for your own accommodation applied with weather disruption, so probably never thought to ask for hotel details. Given the vast, vast majority of European travellers are not aware of their rights under EC261, it's hardly surprising that a US resident wouldn't instinctively know to ask.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:49 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think X95 runs all through the night (I'm just not sure about X93). I have caught X95 at around 3 am.
X93 definitely works for the HI. It runs all night, though the frequency reduces a bit from midnight to 5AM or so.

Personally I don't particularly like the HI as I found some rooms to be very noisy, and the shuttle is (imho) pretty useless as it doesn't run very early or very late - which is exactly the time one would want to arrive/depart from an airport hotel.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
OP's sister case is an allowed exception - weather.

EC261/2004 can only do so much.
Are you sure about that?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by athena_78
Are you sure about that?
The OP mentions weather and high winds.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:03 am
Suspended

The OP mentions weather and high winds.
I mean that article 9 is not applicable in case of extraordinary circumstances. Where did he get this information?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:14 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thread temporarily closed pending mod team review.

EDIT: Thread is now re-open. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 19, 2016 at 8:44 pm
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by garykung
OP's sister case is an allowed exception - weather.

EC261/2004 can only do so much.
that was from the original ticket. i dont htink he wrote the new reason for this segment
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Amil
that was from the original ticket. i dont htink he wrote the new reason for this segment
He did: However, apparently she's in Athens now and the Santorini flight is delayed 5 hours, and is now cancelled due to high winds and the last Ferry had already left, so they will have to overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.