Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Baggage on award tickets [non-A3/OA metal]

Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB Gold, TK Elite

Just issued my first award with A3 miles.
So I received the eticket and it says 2pc of luggage.
I'm on TK and BR flying MUC-IST-TPE all in C, both airlines use the weight concept however.
Since I know a BR agent, she told me even though they are the MSC, the baggage rules of the issuing airline matters. So A3 in my case.
For me it's 2 x 32KG and then 20 KG for my *G.
I also called the TK hotline in Munich and they told me its 3 x 32KG.

I'm just confused, I guess everyone who has ever issued an award using A3 on airlines with weight concept has encountered this problem before.

Does anyone know how it actually goes during checkin?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mcmichi
Just issued my first award with A3 miles.
So I received the eticket and it says 2pc of luggage.
I'm on TK and BR flying MUC-IST-TPE all in C, both airlines use the weight concept however.
Since I know a BR agent, she told me even though they are the MSC, the baggage rules of the issuing airline matters. So A3 in my case.
For me it's 2 x 32KG and then 20 KG for my *G.
I also called the TK hotline in Munich and they told me its 3 x 32KG.

I'm just confused, I guess everyone who has ever issued an award using A3 on airlines with weight concept has encountered this problem before.

Does anyone know how it actually goes during checkin?
I would expect that it's the airline with which you check in that decides which rules they will follow. I've never heard before that it's the issuing airline that matters though!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by witlesspax
I would expect that it's the airline with which you check in that decides which rules they will follow. I've never heard before that it's the issuing airline that matters though!
I think what she meant is that the airlines will follow whatever is written on the ticket. So basically it's what Aegean issues is what matters.
She said that on an award ticket if the baggage is more than the oprerating airline normally allows, they will collect the money from the issuing airline, so A3 in this case. So basically meaning that if A3 issued me a 2 x 32kg so 64 kg, and BR usually only allows 40kg, they will collect 24 kg "overweight" from A3.
Sounds kinda weird to me, but thats what she told me.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:34 pm

I think what she meant is that the airlines will follow whatever is written on the ticket. So basically it's what Aegean issues is what matters.
She said that on an award ticket if the baggage is more than the oprerating airline normally allows, they will collect the money from the issuing airline, so A3 in this case. So basically meaning that if A3 issued me a 2 x 32kg so 64 kg, and BR usually only allows 40kg, they will collect 24 kg "overweight" from A3.
Sounds kinda weird to me, but thats what she told me.
Sounds weird to me too. Hopefully someone on here has specific experience, but if not, I'd be interested to hear what eventually ends up happening.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:35 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
This is one of those occasions when it's probably best to have your e-ticket with you at the airport - because what it says is gospel, even if it's wrong!

If your ticket says 2 x 32kg, that is what the airline has to give you. If they try to enforce less, that's not your problem to sort out.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
So basically meaning that if A3 issued me a 2 x 32kg so 64 kg, and BR usually only allows 40kg, they will collect 24 kg "overweight" from A3.
Forget that, that will not happen. If they want to charge the difference, you have to pay it upfront at the check-in counter...

Until a few years ago, IATA ruled the baggage allowance of it's members. Normally it was 20/30/40kg per COS Y/C/F for all flights. There were exceptions to/from North America and Brazil, where the Piece Concept applied. Then the new MSC (most significant carrier) rule was introduced. Means, the rules of the carrier with the longest flight on the ticket were valid for all other flights too. NH has a good information site about the MSC: https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...e/iata-32.html

In your case, the BR baggage rules should apply, regardless the indication on your ticket. The other question is, if TK will make the effort to check the baggage rules of BR or if they just apply their own rules for both flights...?

As TK Elite you should anyway get an additional baggage allowance, according the *A rules...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.