Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C class priority over *G at boarding?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Talking C class priority over *G at boarding?

Last week a very rude greek woman came first while people was boarding in the priority line. When i mentioned her that everybody is waiting she answered me :

"i'm greek and i fly Business class, so i have priority inside the priority line"... First time in my life i heard this kind of thing.

Other pax complained and told her she is wrong but she continues to say that greek and business class pax has priority over *G in the priority line at boarding.

The handler employee (who managed this boarding as an amateur as allys in ATH anyway, shame on them) at boarding agreed and told the girl she is right.

Was funny and pathetic but i would like to know who was right? me and the other *G pax or this "princess"?
Old May 21, 2016, 8:44 am

Shame on that gate agent. Clearly they (and the passenger) were wrong.

Every once in a while when flying in Y I'm told that I'm not eligible to board at that time because they haven't noticed my status on the boarding pass or my *G card which I will have out if for some reason it's not on the boarding pass. Once they realize, they usually apologize at which point I make it a point to smile and say "no problem, and thank you for enforcing the rules". I suspect they get enough angry responses that discourage them from doing the right thing.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I have heard them saying "Business class only" boarding first a couple of times recently, both in ATH and in Europe, but sometimes they lump together business and *A gold (especially since business sometimes is 0-4 people). I think lately they are going for Business class first. Although they also reference boarding zones, too, I believe?

Other airlines are boarding first/business passengers first, before their other elites, too.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Do people that bord the aircraft first also arrive as first ones at the destination airport?
Old May 21, 2016, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would have challenged both the passenger and the GA on the claim that being Greek gets her priority.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I have heard them saying "Business class only" boarding first a couple of times recently, both in ATH and in Europe, but sometimes they lump together business and *A gold (especially since business sometimes is 0-4 people). I think lately they are going for Business class first. Although they also reference boarding zones, too, I believe?

Other airlines are boarding first/business passengers first, before their other elites, too.
I have heard announcements that don't mention *G, but never one that says "Business class only". When they just say business I go ahead anyways because I know the rule is *G boards with business, and I've never been turned away.

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Do people that bord the aircraft first also arrive as first ones at the destination airport?
If they're in the front of the plane, maybe. But if they're stuck in Y they probably only arrive a bit more relaxed since they were able to find space above their seats for their carry ons. Clearly not of critical importance, unless maybe you think people should follow published rules.

Last edited by witlesspax; May 21, 2016 at 9:06 am Reason: spelling
Old May 21, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Frenchft you have had really peculiar experiences haven't you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...ions-mess.html
Old May 21, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should be Business before elites though, that's what most airlines do, it is annoying to have a bunch of elites flying Y trying to board before C passengers. Sorry, I lose all my empathy when I am on an upgraded seat, lol...

I was boarding A3 in WAW the other day, they had a separate lane, there was a serious GA telling me "this line is for Business class only”, implying that I was not, it turned out I was the only one in C that day, lol..
Old May 21, 2016, 9:43 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The GA was correct. There is no absolute priority boarding for *G - and many Star airlines board First & Business ahead of everything else these days (assistance passengers excepted). SQ have done this for years, UA boards its own top tier (Global Services) & F, and AC started boarding Business first last year.

*G do get priority over other Y (and Y+ usually if the plane has one) passengers - that's it.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:51 am

It should be Business before elites though, that's what most airlines do, it is annoying to have a bunch of elites flying Y trying to board before C passengers. Sorry, I lose all my empathy when I am on an upgraded seat, lol...

I was boarding A3 in WAW the other day, they had a separate lane, there was a serious GA telling me "this line is for Business class only”, implying that I was not, it turned out I was the only one in C that day, lol..
Well, *A rules are that *G boards with business, so no, according to the rules it should not be business before elites. And besides when I'm flying business I don't really care about boarding order, as long as I don't have to wait in the big Y line.

In my opnion, it's only in Y that priority boarding actually has any value since it means you're unlikely to have someone stuffing their carry on into "your" overhead bin (and then often continuing down to the back of the plane).
Old May 21, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The GA was correct. There is no absolute priority boarding for *G - and many Star airlines board First & Business ahead of everything else these days (assistance passengers excepted). SQ have done this for years, UA boards its own top tier (Global Services) & F, and AC started boarding Business first last year.

*G do get priority over other Y (and Y+ usually if the plane has one) passengers - that's it.
Huh, that's news to me, I had no idea so many airlines (though mostly ones I avoid for other reasons, it turns out) were flouting this published benefit.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status
Old May 21, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by witlesspax
Well, *A rules are that *G boards with business...
Are you sure about this, have you seen it written anywhere?

Ok, I see, but it says "Board at your convenience with First Class and Business Class passengers where this is offered at the gate." (bolding mine). It implies it is at the discretion of the airline.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:12 am

Are you sure about this, have you seen it written anywhere?

Ok, I see, but it says "Board at your convenience with First Class and Business Class passengers where this is offered at the gate." (bolding mine). It implies it is at the discretion of the airline.
Interesting point! I took that to mean "where they offer priority boarding at the gate" (that is, excluding places where there is no priority boarding at all at the gate), but of course it could also mean "where they let *G do priority boarding". But I would say in the second interpretation "at the gate" doesn't really belong in the sentence unless it's saying it's at the GA's discretion not the airline's. And it's not really an alliance benefit if it's not consistent across the alliance, is it? A bit like saying "FREE LUNCH (where someone offers you one)".

Still, it does seem there's some wiggle room I hadn't anticipated.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I don't think the GA was wrong. Most of A3's flights do not have that many business class passengers so lumping them together with Star Gold is the easy way out. But I recall that on at least one A3 flight last year they called for business class passengers first.

Unfortunately their website does not mention priority boarding as a Gold benefit even for their members. Oddly enough it says clearly that when traveling on Star partners their own Gold members can board with First and Business.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:24 pm

I don't really see the big difference if you board first or last on the priority lane.
Quite often C passengers delay everyone else as they are blocking the aisle while putting their bags, then another bag, then the husband need to put his wife bag up etc. etc.
So if you ask me, on narrow body jet I think C should actually board last, the seats in the lounge are probably better anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.