Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Olympic Airlines safe?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Only good experience with olympics here. Love the flight to milos with them, friendly, small plane, nice FA, etc. Nothing less, nothing more than with A3... i don't feel any difference.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Barkinpark
....... I feel comfortable with Aegean, but am concerned about the safety record of Olympic. It had several accidents before though there are none recently. What is the reputation of this airline? I am not too concerned about comfort level as this is a short flight? Are the cabins clean and does the crew strictly follow safety protocols? Thanks.
So, your information about Olympic aircraft dropping out of the skies is ....
Whatzat? NONE!! Paranoid or what?

IMHO, airlines are safer than any other types of travel.

You gotta be kidding about your concerns about safety protocols.. Get serious and hire a private jet if you are really concerned. Better yet - use a bicycle and see how safe that is... yes, I do a LOT of bicycling too.

Sheesh, I don't believe I even bothered answering your silly concerns. By the way, take stock of all the positives in flying with Greek airlines. Price should not matter where your safety is concerned - should it??

Last edited by tmac100; May 7, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Old May 8, 2016, 3:40 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
There is no such thing as a silly concern. Fears are real, and unique for every different person. I don't blame the OP for asking if we can help to assuage those concerns. Of course flying is statistically safer than most other forms of transport, but in a plane we totally hand over control. When we do that, I think we'd rather do it to a captain and company that we totally trust, and even between major airlines we do differentiate - would you rather fly with TK or KL?

Hopefully we've helped re-calibrate the OP's original impression and (s)he can enjoy a more relaxing journey as a result.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:25 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
When we do that, I think we'd rather do it to a captain and company that we totally trust, and even between major airlines we do differentiate - would you rather fly with TK or KL?
I would agree, especially if one is not used to flying foreign airlines. Its difficult to grasp the perceived 'safety feeling' from afar. And I must admit that the first time when I flew a smaller airline on another continent I was also trying to determine - while taxiing to the runway - if they follow the safety rules in the way that I am used to. Of course that is totally impossible to determine as a pax - but I'd say it is human nature to try to do so.

I don't get your example KL vs TK by the way - both have had their share of large and small accidents over the years. Which one is supposed to be preferred?
Old May 8, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Man, agree with you, fear is something normal to some. But we talk about an european airline, owned by an award winner airline... And if the other choice is the Ferry : i go for Olympic at all cost

They have a clean safety record and Agean operates and manage everything. We don't talk about Hellenic Imperial Airways here.

If we were talking about for exemple PS, U9, T5, 7J or even the greece neighbor FB, i would understand... I don't have any fear when flying but i confess that before flying the ones mentioned (+some russian domestic airlines) in the last 6 months i was not super super confortable while boarding. But please, we talk about a serious / european airline here (+ in good financial conditions).
Old May 8, 2016, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I don't get your example KL vs TK by the way - both have had their share of large and small accidents over the years. Which one is supposed to be preferred?

I have never had an issue with TK and always felt safe. I have been flying with them before it became fashionable to do so back when they had the A310s. Always had good food and clean well kept planes. Ground operations have never been that polished but they are a decent and safe operation.

People jump to slate TK whenever they have an incident but something happens to BA and they are still deemed as safe even though it was an error on their part.

Maintenance team mixed up BA jets before A319 cowl loss

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...cowl-l-414603/

I feel as safe on TK as I do with BA and many other airlines.
Old May 8, 2016, 5:37 am
Community Director

As a BA Gold, I deliberately didn't mention them given the cowling incident! I'd put A3 ahead of them for safety culture right now, but I'm still flying BA a reasonable amount - probably 2,500 Tier Points with BAEC this year - so they clearly don't fall anywhere near my criteria of being one to avoid.

I like to consider myself reasonably rational in the choices I make, but sometimes perceptions of the level of past incidents (not necessarily accidents) persist - and that's the case with TK. I'm sure it's not right, I'm sure if I actually got on one of their planes I'd be re-assured (I used to feel the same about AA's incident rate until I flew with them), but it just goes to show that sometimes we need the confirmation of others to convince us everything's going to be fine. I'm sure that's all the OP is seeking.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Meanwhile, there's a debate raging over on BT regarding what some perceive as a security lapse on A3:

Open Cockpit Door on Aegean Airlines flight
Old May 10, 2016, 9:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Interesting discussion. For the people that do not have access: Its about an A3 captain leaving the flight deck with the cockpit door open - while pax kept using the forward lav.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:38 am

If the events happened as stated then I do not like the idea of the door being open even if the Pilot is standing there. I prefer the door be closed and the Pilot be replaced by a member of cabin crew even if it is for a short period. I just think in this current climate its better safe than sorry.

1: Door secured at all times.
2: Two A3 employees on the flight deck at all times.

The OP was a bit stupid though. He should have just got off the flight and sent what he had into A3 after. What reaction was he expecting

It will however be interesting to see what he gets back if anything !
Old May 11, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
There is no such thing as a silly concern. Fears are real, and unique for every different person. I don't blame the OP for asking if we can help to assuage those concerns. Of course flying is statistically safer than most other forms of transport, but in a plane we totally hand over control. When we do that, I think we'd rather do it to a captain and company that we totally trust, and even between major airlines we do differentiate - would you rather fly with TK or KL?

Hopefully we've helped re-calibrate the OP's original impression and (s)he can enjoy a more relaxing journey as a result.
I wonder if the OP is related to the woman on that flight with Air Wisconsin who raised a concern because a university professor was working on Maths equations that she did not understand. She raised a concern over the equations, then became "ill" and was taken off the aircraft because of her "illness" according to news reports. Aircrew and cabin crew in a big flap over it all

With all the concerns, folks worry about passenger appearance, non-English language being spoken and ...

There are fears and there are fears. Phobias need to be addressed - by professional helpers. Professional help should be mandatory for passengers who "raise the alarm" because of some fear that results in an aircraft being delayed etc... This should be compulsory before such a person flies again - for the safety of everyone, including themselves. Just MHO.

The university professor raised some good points after the woman was removed from the aircraft. Fortunately he was not removed and I assume he did get to the conference to present his paper/discussion topic.

Last edited by tmac100; May 11, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Old May 11, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Hear hear!

No good can come from coddling someone with an irrational fear. (There is nothing in the OP's message to indicate that flying is a phobia. This appears to be a concern regarding a specific airline).

Anyone who believes that "unsafe" airlines operate in European skies needs to be disabused of the notion.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Hear hear!

No good can come from coddling someone with an irrational fear. (There is nothing in the OP's message to indicate that flying is a phobia. This appears to be a concern regarding a specific airline)....
I know I am getting OT, but this article reminds me of irrational fliers who wreak havoc....

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-pilot-in-face

What to do? Jail time followed by psychiatric care (at whose expense)? Being put on a several-year-long "no fly" list? Posting a LARGE bond? Thoughts?

Getting more and more ridiculous as folks figure they can do as they please while flying....
Old May 12, 2016, 8:06 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by tmac100
I know I am getting OT, but this article reminds me of irrational fliers who wreak havoc....

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-pilot-in-face

What to do? Jail time followed by psychiatric care (at whose expense)? Being put on a several-year-long "no fly" list? Posting a LARGE bond? Thoughts?

Getting more and more ridiculous as folks figure they can do as they please while flying....
The article references a completely different scenario where a passenger was violent towards a pilot and apparently wanted for drugs offences - which may or may not be connected.

None of that has anything to do with the OP's original question about safety culture at OA.

We are beginning to wander seriously off-topic. Let's come back to the OP's original question, please.

/mod
Old May 21, 2016, 6:55 am

it's more or more and more of the olympics flight are operated by A3? why to keep this brand? Anyone knows ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.