Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

For sale 2 Olympic Airlines A340's complete with log books

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

The Fund is in the process of launching an international public tender for the following two Airbus aircrafts held in long term (deep) preservation at the Athens International Airport and under the care of Olympic Airlines CAMO:

(a) A 4 -engine Airbus aircraft model A340-300 with MSN 280, including all associated historical and technical records.

(b) A 4-engine Airbus aircraft model A340-300 with MSN 292, including all associated historical and technical records.

Advisers
Technical
ICF International
Legal
Norton Rose Fulbright Greece

http://www.hradf.com/en/portfolio/airbus-a340-300-en
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Maybe something for KLouis? After having a little fishing boat, getting your own plane is the only next logical step! Although I'm afraid an A340 requires quite a bit more of fuel to keep it going
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Or Q the rumors of A3 buying them and starting JFK
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Small chances that somebody is buying some 343 this days...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Maybe something for KLouis? After having a little fishing boat, getting your own plane is the only next logical step! Although I'm afraid an A340 requires quite a bit more of fuel to keep it going
He should invite us for a party inside the plane
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:06 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Are these the frames currently parked up at ATH, and if so have they been there long? I saw a couple of 4-engined planes with OA logos parked near a hanger as I left on Sunday, and I can't remember seeing them before.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
It seems that there is at least one potential buyer who wants to use them as a source of (cheap) spare parts.

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
There is an old saying: the two happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day he buys his boat and the day he gets rid of it. I've had, so far, two "happiest" ones of the first kind and only one of the second, and the future second one of that kind takes absolute priority over a plane

Originally Posted by Jma12
He should invite us for a party inside the plane
Hah! I prefer a little ouzo plus mezedaki on my boat. I never thought of a plane as a place where I'd like to spend more time that the necessary minimum!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by KLouis
Hah! I prefer a little ouzo plus mezedaki on my boat. I never thought of a plane as a place where I'd like to spend more time that the necessary minimum!
I can think of aegean business class, with ouzo by the window seat, with the sun reflecting on the glass and accelerating the melting of the ice and thus the drinking, which follows by a prompt refill... and a good sleep on the descent
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Are these the frames currently parked up at ATH, and if so have they been there long? I saw a couple of 4-engined planes with OA logos parked near a hanger as I left on Sunday, and I can't remember seeing them before.
Yes they were parked on the Satt. stands for years but when AIA got busy again the space was needed so they were moved to the old Olympic hanger. They have been kept quite well maintained inside and out. They fire up the engines on a regular basis at great expense to the tax payer. Time to sell but they should have been sold long ago.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
DL sure loves used gas guzzlers.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Yes they were parked on the Satt. stands for years but when AIA got busy again the space was needed so they were moved to the old Olympic hanger. They have been kept quite well maintained inside and out. They fire up the engines on a regular basis at great expense to the tax payer. Time to sell but they should have been sold long ago.
Last flights were in 2009, so 7 years just standing in ATH.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:09 pm

Actually they were sold a few years back, but the sale was cancelled by a court decision saying that the price was too low. The asking price is now about half of what was agreed back then.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: A3 *G
Their two sisters, which were parked with them were scrapped around three years ago. I had assumed that since these were moved over to the hangars they would be going the same way... Maybe they still will - there can be little demand for these a/c.

Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
DL buys old airplanes.

BTW, in the OP, does The Fund mean the IMF? If so, I didn't realize that they were in the business of selling aircraft, even when default on loans is involved.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:12 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, in the OP, does The Fund mean the IMF? If so, I didn't realize that they were in the business of selling aircraft, even when default on loans is involved.
No, it refers to the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund, essentially the Government quango (at least, that's what we'd call it in the UK) which manages significant State assets. They also run a number of ports, for example.

I suppose the IMF, or other creditors, may come into play here if they are insisting on the Government paying some money back which is forcing a sale, but if that's the case I doubt they care what is sold to achieve that per se.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.