Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

For sale 2 Olympic Airlines A340's complete with log books

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For sale 2 Olympic Airlines A340's complete with log books

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:38 am

I continue this off-topic discussion (Mods, feel free to move it somewhere else). Olympus Airline's home page is under construction since last summer. The names of the Board, though, are known and the capital of the company is presently 24 K€ (!). They started about one year ago with a leased 20 years old 737-500 that they "gave back", and they just received the leased A319 (15 years old). Their first plane had been obtained from , and was returned to Hermes, a subsidiary of Air Méditerranée, which according to many is supposedly in some financial difficulties.

I picked all of that doing a a few Google searches for not more than 5 min. Everything sounds strange and I would dare say that this reminds me of about 10 Greek airlines whose names I remember as companies that went broke... (I flew with two of them, one of them by... mistake).

A day later: now I do remember better, I flew with six of them...

Last edited by KLouis; Mar 17, 2016 at 8:35 am Reason: Corrected memory.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
I continue this off-topic discussion (Mods, feel free to move it somewhere else). Olympus Airline's home page is under construction since last summer. The names of the Board, though, are known and the capital of the company is presently 24 K€ (!). They started about one year ago with a leased 20 years old 737-500 that they "gave back", and they just received the leased A319 (15 years old). Their first plane had been obtained from , and was returned to Hermes, a subsidiary of Air Méditerranée, which according to many is supposedly in some financial difficulties.

I picked all of that doing a a few Google searches for not more than 5 min. Everything sounds strange and I would dare say that this reminds me of about 10 Greek airlines whose names I remember as companies that went broke... (I flew with two of them, one of them by... mistake).

The only one of those "other" airlines I flew with was Athens Airways, which I think lasted nearly 12 months. I flew from CHQ to ATH back in April 2009 on one of their Embraer 145s. I remember that the onboard service was excellent. IIRC I was served orange juice in a real glass and a WARMED chocolate muffin. The crew were REALLY good. I remember feeling very sorry for them, knowing they'd be unemployed in six months - which they were. The company chose the wrong aircraft - just when 50 seater RJ's were seriousuly going out of "fashion" and fuel prices were high. I always assumed they must have got a killer deal on the leases - like, the leasing company paid them to take them! Then, they might have survived...

EDIT: If we rename this (very interesting) topic "Former airlines and aircraft of Athens" then these posts will no longer be off topic, and might stay. Just a thought.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:08 am

It was announced today that the two A340s are to be sold for a total of € 4.2 million to Turboshaft FZE, a company in the import/export of airplane spare parts business based in Sharjah (UAE). The transaction has to be approved by the Greek Ελεγκτικό Συνέδριο (Rechnungshof, Cour des Contes, english?)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I have flown in one of these JFK-ATH back in 1999, I believe. It was awesome, half empty flight, and had a 4-seater to myself (aka "the poor man's biz class", lol...)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
It was announced today that the two A340s are to be sold for a total of € 4.2 million to Turboshaft FZE, a company in the import/export of airplane spare parts business based in Sharjah (UAE). The transaction has to be approved by the Greek Ελεγκτικό Συνέδριο (Rechnungshof, Cour des Contes, english?)
Generally, it's the National Audit Office in the commonwealth, I think. Americans have a Comptroller General instead.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I've no idea! Planespotters only lists them as "stored". I would have thought anything left at the old airport would not have been maintained and would show as scrapped though.

I suspect you may know rather more than me about the situation .

Sorry to bring this back off topic, again but SX OAD is still (as of April 2015) at Bruntingthorpe. What a beauty!

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/pho...oeing-747-200/

Last edited by hermes1; Jun 16, 2016 at 5:36 pm Reason: image link did not appear
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:58 am

I noticed on my last trip through ATH that the two remaining A340s have again been moved. They were over by the Aegean hangars since the start of summer but at the end of May they were on a taxiway quite close to where the old 737-200 trainer has sat for the last several years. I don't know if that's good news for their future or not - the other two were cut up behind the hangar a couple of years ago. Maybe they're hoping some passer-by with deep pockets will take an interest. They just need a notice taped to the windscreens "Low mileage, one careful owner"
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
They are now parked at the Olympic hangars.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:09 am
Original Poster

A successful asset sell off by the Greek government(s) 😒😒 They lost the tax payer millions!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: kayaker
I really wish I had kept better flight records back in the day -- I'm wondering if I've been on either of these birds.

Here's hoping for the JFK-ATH restart!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:59 am
Original Poster

I was lucky to have flown on all the A340 fleet. Kept a lot of nice photos too. Good memories.

Going back further I got on all the A300 and B742 fleet too. Although one of the B742's was just on a hanger tour but I guess it still counts
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:42 am

Going off topic, but still probably interesting to some here...

This A300 was recently sunk as an artifical diving reef in Turkey.

It is actually the former SX-BEF of Olympic and it was the aircraft I first came to Athens on from LHR back in February 1994. It was also my first ride on a widebody of any type. I enjoyed my many flights on the A300s although I am not quite old enough (sorry Dellas) to have ridden any of the 747s.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
...I enjoyed my many flights on the A300s although I am not quite old enough (sorry Dellas) to have ridden any of the 747s.
Old? because he flew on the 747? What about me, then? I flew on an OA DC-4* in the sixties and I still feel younger than many people born after me!

* or was it a DC-6? I couldn't tell them apart.

Last edited by KLouis; Jul 1, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Indeed the OA B742's flew until early 2000's So he must still be in school doing his studies
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

SX-DFC left for THR this evening. Nice pic before it departed.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8510857

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.