Search

A3621 diversion to VCE - well done A3

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:56 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
A3621 diversion to VCE - well done A3

So yesterday I flew A3 from Brussels to Athens. I was booked in business.

Boarding was fine, with business and elites called first. A few non-status pax were turned away and told to wait. We departed with about 15 minutes delay but expected arrival almost half hour before schedule.

The FA's were just in the process of handing out the main lunch plates when there was a medical emergency in Economy. The FA made a call for a doctor and two showed up. It turned out that somebody suffered an heart attack. That person only spoke Russian, and calls were made for somebody to translate. Right about when everybody was served their lunch in our cabin the decision was made to divert to VCE. Quick descent and we landed about 15 minutes later.

After landing medical personnel came on board and took the patient off the plane through the back door. Shortly afterwards the captain informed us of the fact that there would be a 40 minutes wait before departure due to paperwork and re-fuelling.

Departure right at the time that was announced beforehand and we landed in ATH with a little over 1,5hr delay.

I am posting this because I was thoroughly impressed by the flight and cabin crew. Because;

The cabin crew reacted quickly and exactly as you would like. The decision to divert was made directly after recommendation from the doctor on board. And the cabin crew seemed to know what they were doing - from the way the FA handled mobile oxygen unit it was clear she had done that before/was trained in using it. You could notice that they were shaken up by what happened (It must have been pretty graphic judging from the supplies that they took to the patient), but they kept their cool.

Afterwards, during the time on the ground the FA's were constantly on the move bringing people water and snacks. And in business beer and wine

Due to the timing of the diversion most people in business did not get to finish their lunch. After departure from VCE I was expecting to be served dessert only - but surprisingly the whole cabin (14 pax!) were again given a choice and served a new lunch dish. And just when we finished dessert with coffee we started descent for ATH.

Arrival was at a remote stand with a separate bus for business pax. I did see ground personnel walking around with vouchers, and I heard some mentions of compensation vouchers, but people in our bus were not given any.

Due to the delay I had only a short 30 minutes left to make my KTEL bus connection at the other side of town; so I hired a cab and arrived in the nick of time. A little expensive but it was either that, or waiting for the next bus and arriving home at 3AM.

So all-in-all I was very impressed with Aegean. They handled the situation exactly the way one would want. And it showed me that flight and cabin crew are well trained for this kind of thing.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 15, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:32 am

Sorry Xandrios, this was a bureaucratic and lazy approach! The proof is there, you had a 1.5 hours long delay. In an unbureaucratic operating procedure, they would have brought you all home earlier and the passenger would have enjoyed a Greek, rather than an Italian hospital enabling a potential emergency action by a priest serving the patient's religion.

Mod, as usual when I'm angry (obviously not with Xandrios), feel free to delete my answer to the post.

Last edited by KLouis; Nov 15, 2015 at 8:40 am
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
So yesterday I flew A3 from Brussels to Athens. I was booked in business.

I am posting this because I was thoroughly impressed by the flight and cabin crew. Because;

The cabin crew reacted quickly and exactly as you would like. The decision to divert was made directly after recommendation from the doctor on board. And the cabin crew seemed to know what they were doing - from the way the FA handled mobile oxygen unit it was clear she had done that before/was trained in using it. You could notice that they were shaken up by what happened (It must have been pretty graphic judging from the supplies that they took to the patient), but they kept their cool.
KUDOS to the A3 team ^ Doing what they are trained to do but nonetheless reminds us they are not just put there to look pretty and serve us our meals. They are there for our safety and security and at times like this their professionalism shines through
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Sorry Xandrios, this was a bureaucratic and lazy approach! The proof is there, you had a 1.5 hours long delay. In an unbureaucratic operating procedure, they would have brought you all home earlier and the passenger would have enjoyed a Greek, rather than an Italian hospital enabling a potential emergency action by a priest serving the patient's religion.
You actually make a a good point with your (let's call it) sarcastic remark. Because there were actually quite some people annoyed by the delay, complaining loudly (similar to your reply).

While such things obviously impact everyone (and not the least Aegean - time and fuel ain't cheap), it is also something that potentially saved somebody's life. And I am glad the crew realized that, and acted accordingly.

Though apparently some pax didn't get that - at all. For me though, even while it was a bother - these are the things that make me prefer an airline for my upcoming flights.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 15, 2015 at 9:11 am
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by DELLAS
KUDOS to the A3 team ^ Doing what they are trained to do but nonetheless reminds us they are not just put there to look pretty and serve us our meals. They are there for our safety and security and at times like this their professionalism shines through
+1.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I did see ground personnel walking around with vouchers, and I heard some mentions of compensation vouchers, but people in our bus were not given any.

Due to the delay I had only a short 30 minutes left to make my KTEL bus connection at the other side of town; so I hired a cab and arrived in the nick of time. A little expensive but it was either that, or waiting for the next bus and arriving home at 3AM.
And I assume that Aegean are not obliged to hand out any form of compensation for this, but they did so. It shows how they go out of their way to make their customers happy.

I'm sure if you would have asked for the money for the taxi, they might well have given you it, or a voucher.

By the way, were these compensation vouchers the free flight papers?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Perhaps they would have paid for the taxi, but I did not have a second to spare to ask. At the same time this whole situation obviously is not their fault, and even though I would like somebody else to pay for it...I feel it would not be fair for Aegean to pay.

I'm not sure what kind of vouchers they were, I did not get one. Looked like envelopes.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:20 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A good illustration of the level of training all cabin crew, not just those of A3, undergo. Having a heart attack is not exactly ideal, but actually the equipment and number of trained people on an aircraft make it surprisingly one of the places where a happy ending is more likely. Still, kudos to the crew for remaining calm - it's still not exactly an everyday occurrence.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Ha - nice line which raised a smile with me at least! I wouldn't worry about removal - we British have been known to indulge in the odd bit of sarcasm as well ...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:36 am

Not really worth opening a new thread but another example of good service.

Information regarding flights to/from Paris
Saturday, 14-11-2015
Dear Passengers, we would like to inform you that all Aegean flights to / from Paris operate as scheduled. Furthermore, please note that Aegean is granting free rebooking or cancelation with full refund for all passengers who have tickets from/to Paris till and with November 22.

Many airlines are not offering anything. The only other one I know of is Aer Lingus. Some are offering just date changes or voucher but not a full refund.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
It would be great if there was a doctor on board scheme as with lufthansa (for pesonal benefit :P)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.