Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATH Airport to City Centre

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
ATH Airport to City Centre

So I arrive into ATH (on a 8hr stopover) and try to buy metro ticket to city centre, but they don't take credit/debit cards! How can such a major part of the Athens infrastructure not take cards? I had to make my way to an ATM withdraw Euros missing the train

Last edited by benberg2013; Oct 28, 2015 at 9:55 am
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:28 am

Hah, the wonders of Greece! It's simple, both Metro and Suburban Railroad are public (in the sense of "government") companies. This is extremely funny (not for you, obviously) because a) the present government wants to introduce soon a mandatory use of plastic cards for every purchase of goods or services and b) if you watch Greek TV (or read Greek newspapers) you'll be amazed by the present number of ads/commercials advertising, to businessmen, how they can easily and cheaply (for them) start accepting CCs.

Last edited by KLouis; Oct 28, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:49 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Ah, yes - should have warned you about that .

You're by no means the first, and definitely not the last, to fall for the authorities' little joke - I've done it more than once, having completely forgotten after the first time!

It is utterly, completely bonkers - particularly as it's not exactly a small amount of Euros either, and typically an amount a lot of tourists would put on a credit card, certainly with more than one person in the group.

Still, you were probably still better off than me the first time I arrived at ATH and wanted to get downtown to my hotel at about 4am having come off the overnight LHR flight. I wandered over to the metro to find it didn't start running for another couple of hours and more, so I was left with the bus - on which I'd done no research whatsoever. Trying to work out at what point you should hop off and walk through to the hotel in the pitch black when your own command of the Greek language is non-existent is interesting, I can assure you ...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It's weird indeed. A couple of bucks for the metro is not so bad, but what about KTEL - long distance bus rides are easily 60+ euros. When flying in from a country that is used to electronic payment it is definitely like going back in time.

Of course the reasons for only accepting cash are often quite clear. Probably not for the public transport, but when getting a coffee and paying with cash more often than not no receipt is given these days - especially now that the FPA has gone up. For many places it has become a necessity to skip on VAT in order to stay afloat.

Anyway, next time that somebody is cought off guard in ATH: there are ATM cash machines all over the airport. Both downstairs at arrivals, and upstairs at departures. Anyone with Maestro or any kind of credit/debit card will be able to get some cash there for the Metro, train or bus
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:34 am

Or do what I do and carry Euro notes to cover immediate needs ^
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Or do what I do and carry Euro notes to cover immediate needs ^
Yes - but on a stopover, its a shame to be caught for the next few weeks with some extra euros with nowhere to put them, until my next trip.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: A3*G
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now, but never registered until now. So first of all, thank you for all the info about A3 M&B and the pleasant atmosphere!

As to this thread, I'd like to add, that the Athens metro system actually offers an iOs app "tfa tickets". You can book all kind of tickets using it and paying with a credit card. That's the workaround for paying with plastic.
I used it several times before using a mastercard.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Arrivals
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now, but never registered until now. So first of all, thank you for all the info about A3 M&B and the pleasant atmosphere!

As to this thread, I'd like to add, that the Athens metro system actually offers an iOs app "tfa tickets". You can book all kind of tickets using it and paying with a credit card. That's the workaround for paying with plastic.
I used it several times before using a mastercard.
Thanks yes we have mentioned it on other threads. A great App indeed. ^
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
the bus in to syntagma is much better. Find the metro too crowded, and not nice to walk with luggage in the metro... plus on the bus you see the beautiful views of athens (at least once you hit Leoforos Vassilisis Sofias as the rest of the road is not too pretty)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: *A MM FTL, A3*S
Originally Posted by Kataskopos
the bus in to syntagma is much better. Find the metro too crowded, and not nice to walk with luggage in the metro... plus on the bus you see the beautiful views of athens (at least once you hit Leoforos Vassilisis Sofias as the rest of the road is not too pretty)
How is long is the bus ride? I wan't to have a comparison to the Metroride that took 45 mins from Airport to Syntagma Square
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
If you have heavy luggage forget the metro or train, most of the station has plenty of stairs (especially if you have to change).

Bus is ok for the center or uber (they accept CC, even if the car is a normal taxi)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: A3*G
First of all you can also book bus tickets with the "tfa tickets" app.
The X95 to Syntagma takes at least a little longer than the metro. On weekends and late (after ~9pm local) it should take 45-60 minutes. During the week and especially during rush hours it takes a lot longer (90 or more minutes).

When you try to get to the airport/city on time the metro is the safest bet.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013
So I arrive into ATH (on a 8hr stopover) and try to buy metro ticket to city centre, but they don't take credit/debit cards! How can such a major part of the Athens infrastructure not take cards? I had to make my way to an ATM withdraw Euros missing the train
I also found it quite strange that they don't sell tickets before 6am. I've arrived from IKA at 5 and had to wait until 6 to take the metro. Nowadays I know of the existence of the app, so i think that's the easiest way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.