Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Seat Upgrade NOT available since 1 month!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

I want to use my A3 miles to upgrade an intercontinental flight with another Star Alliance carrier - however, once on A3 website to spend miles...

"Seat upgrade award is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues."

The Service Hotline told me that they dont know when this issue will be fixed and that seat upgrade on other carriers than A3 MUST be applied through the Aegean Air website! Is this true?

Since the website is malfunctioning fore more than a month, are there no upgrade coupons anymore for other carriers?

Thank you for the information.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:17 pm

Sorry, but your post is not very clear. I guess, you're talking about upgrading on other *A carriers. Is this no longer available on-line while still available if you call them? And why are you writing that upgrade coupons are no longer available? There were never such coupons, the only coupons were for M&B Gold members and they were only valid for A3.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
The Star Alliance upgrades aren't available with M&B since at least one year...

To apply for an upgrade on another *A carrier it has to be done online (*a rule) and can not be requested via phone / manually. The reason for this rule is quite simple. A3 has no access to your booking you made with the *A member. With the online requst, your booking would be transferred to A3 and they would be able to process the *A upgrade...

No idea how long it still takes to re-instate this funcion on the M&B site...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Unless you're traveling on a full fare Economy ticket (which I doubt, unless your employer insists on paying) you're not able to upgrade on *A anyway.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
The Star Alliance upgrades aren't available with M&B since at least one year...

To apply for an upgrade on another *A carrier it has to be done online (*a rule) and can not be requested via phone / manually. The reason for this rule is quite simple. A3 has no access to your booking you made with the *A member. With the online requst, your booking would be transferred to A3 and they would be able to process the *A upgrade...

No idea how long it still takes to re-instate this funcion on the M&B site...
This is something that interests me as I have a J class booking with TG and am thinking about using some of my A3 points to try to upgrade.

Just to clarify, are you saying that it is not possible to apply at the moment, or that you can do it via another channel?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:59 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
So today's M&B newsletter has a prominent advert for seat upgrades. You'd have thought that meant they'd be available, wouldn't you?

Not a chance.

Left hand, right hand ...
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So today's M&B newsletter has a prominent advert for seat upgrades. You'd have thought that meant they'd be available, wouldn't you?

Not a chance.

Left hand, right hand ...
This is so ridiculous it's not even funny.

Having credited all my *A miles to Aegean over the last year and a half I finally wanted to spend some for seat upgrades so looked for it online, saw the message, then gave them a ring, and the conversation went something like this:

me: "I'd like to use my miles for a *A upgrade award please"
agent: "It has to be done online but our online system is currently broken so you can't do it. When's your flight?"
me: "In a week's time"
agent: "Oh, then there's no chance they'll fix it in time".

Amazing!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
I confirm, impossible online (never been possible anyway) and neither on the phone (they can't do it in their system and "it's not a priority").

Try to book an hotel with miles, it's a lot of fun too.... they send the request ot a department in aegean, this department send an email to the hotel, they want for answer and they answer the call center who... . calls you.

Good luck if you can manage an hotel booking with miles (still waiting for the call).
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Same problem with Aegean on the "technical problem" since they upgraded their program and their website. I have enough miles to upgrade a SIN-HKG return flight to business both ways but can't do it online or over the phone.

Looks like A3 is actually happy to force you to use mileage on their own flights?

I emailed *A corporate website about this as well, no reply.

Shouldn't that be a reason to actually lose your A* membership since you're not fully inter-operable anymore?

Julien
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by generikz
Looks like A3 is actually happy to force you to use mileage on their own flights?

Shouldn't that be a reason to actually lose your A* membership since you're not fully inter-operable anymore?
You can redeem for *A flights, just not upgrade them. Is it a *A requirement to be able to upgrade partner flights with miles?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
The issue is not about *A or not.
Even their own A3 flights are not upgradable with miles ... they don't have a way to do it with their actual IT... (no joke here... sad but true).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by :D!
You can redeem for *A flights, just not upgrade them. Is it a *A requirement to be able to upgrade partner flights with miles?
No it is not a requirement and for many years BMI were not a member of the *A upgrade program.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:51 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by generikz
Same problem with Aegean on the "technical problem" since they upgraded their program and their website. I have enough miles to upgrade a SIN-HKG return flight to business both ways but can't do it online or over the phone.

Julien
*A corporate honestly won't care about it - the reality is there are very few people in the corporate office, that's not the nature of the beast, and no-one really that would deal with a compliance issue. They'd just refer you back to the member airline, because they have no financial or judicial control over any of them in practice.

There will be a few core aspects of *A membership, but I would very much doubt participation in the Upgrade Scheme is one of them - as DELLAS has said, BD certainly never joined before they left, although there was a plan for them to do so late on.

The thought that the other member airlines might join together to force the issue would be unconscionable - it simply is not a big enough or visible enough problem to even warrant discussion.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
- as DELLAS has said, BD certainly never joined before they left, although there was a plan for them to do so late on.

Slightly OT I remember those white Star Alliance upgrade certs. It was a once off promo and we all got 4 each. Bookings had to be in Y B H . I used mine on UA. Shame there is not another Star promo like that these days.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:02 pm

Sorry for the bump, but I just did this online and it went through.... unless it was a recent development?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.