Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean waives airport ticket issuing fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by lgts
I thought of that myself, but then again, it would be kind of awkward asking half the passengers to pay, wouldn't it?
It might break a law too.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:52 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DELLAS
It might break a law too.
Yes, ironically given the trouble certain other EU countries have caused Greece recently, it would be against EU law to treat one citizen differently to another. If you offer Greeks free transport, you must extend that to every EU (and, I believe, EEA) citizen.

Now technically you could, I imagine, charge a U.S. citizen, but the practicalities might rule that out!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, ironically given the trouble certain other EU countries have caused Greece recently, it would be against EU law to treat one citizen differently to another. If you offer Greeks free transport, you must extend that to every EU (and, I believe, EEA) citizen.

Now technically you could, I imagine, charge a U.S. citizen, but the practicalities might rule that out!
In the old days Greeks used to get into the Acropolis free whilst others had to pay. Then the EU came and all the rules changed. Some say they would rather have the free entry back
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DELLAS
In the old days Greeks used to get into the Acropolis free whilst others had to pay. Then the EU came and all the rules changed. Some say they would rather have the free entry back
OT, but another example is Russia, where nonRussian citizens pay about ten times more to enter many museums. I guess Russia can't join the EU.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Ryannair has also some good discounts, but check because A3 may even be cheaper.

http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea...-with-ryanair/
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:43 pm

This thread reminds me of the dish called briami/tourlou in Greece (similar to a French ratatouille): A couple of posts on the 20 Euro fee -currently not- charged at the airport (tomatoes), some on free transportation in Athens (aubergines), a couple on charging differently Greeks and non-Greeks (peppers), seasoned with the free entrance to the Acropolis at the time of Melina -actually, all archeological sites- and, instead of olive oil, some Ryanair! There is obviously room for courgettes, potatoes and many more ingredients. I wonder in how many searches this thread will come up in the future. Either in none or in all of them...
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lgts
I thought of that myself, but then again, it would be kind of awkward asking half the passengers to pay, wouldn't it?
I think practically they could easily: At the airport booth it had two signs, one in Greek and one in English, saying that transportation is free. They guy in the booth was doing nothing else besides pointing to the English message when tourists were coming up, money in hand, to buy a ticket. I don't think any tourist would notice if they simply remove the English message - they would all pay for the ticket.

The other argument, about EU regulations, is one I didn't think about. I guess that is an important one indeed

@KLouis: Stop it, you're making me hungry I absolutely love briam, especially when home-made with your own home-grown vegetables and oil! Anyway, sorry for taking the thread offtopic guys
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
RE: competition from FR,

I see Aegean are selling fares from ATH for €9*!
And to ATH for €19*

*from
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:46 am

These special fares are under the F-bucket-fare class (a nice addition to your collection :P).

There is also a note in M&B terms:

2. Booking Class F is eligible for mileage accrual on domestic flights from 13.07.15 to 26.07.15 and equals to 200 miles.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

F for Fun! Yeah
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This legal issue could be solved easily using residency in Athens as requirement instead of nationality. Quite many Nordic cities offer discounted monthly etc tickets for local residents (regardless of nationality) because city or regional government spends tax money for public transportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.