Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Implications for A3 of an exit from the Eurozone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Implications for A3 of an exit from the Eurozone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:44 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DELLAS
On another note some gems of cartoons going around the papers. I dont want to post just in case it goes past the line but it involves a Trojan horse in the shape of a finger.

Good to see that at least there's a sense of humour pervading what's still a very unpredictable and serious next few days and weeks ahead for Greece and her people.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:53 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The BBC's Economic Editor, Robert Peston, has expressed some rather over-the-top and sensationalist views in the past, but the implications he outlines here should be deeply concerning for any European citizen or business - including A3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33404011
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:24 am

It looks like things will become more clear after tomorrow (after the eurogroup).
But, then again, it's been more than once than we expected things to get back on track lately.

By the way, i visited ATH and SKG yesterday and most of the traffic (terminal-wise) was A3 traffic. Both my flights full.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The problem, of course, is that time is not on Greece's side. That will inevitably give the creditors a greater hand to play in the negotiations - plus there's clearly no love lost between the Eurozone countries and the Greek Government, so there's going to be even less give-and-take and Greece arguably has more to lose then the creditors.
And organizing referendum in Greece makes it easier for countries like Germany and Finland organize a referendum asking whether the Greek banks should be saved.

Grexit and capital controls might not be bad for A3. Of course demand for domestic flights drops quite a lot but cheaper labor also opens new opportunities. For instance A3 could increase wet-lease operations for tour operators and other airlines.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A3 is an excellent full service airline. I hate to see them to shift toward charter-like operations for tour groups.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A3 is an excellent full service airline. I hate to see them to shift toward charter-like operations for tour groups.
Not going to happen. If anything they would prosper if they do it right and thus far in a climate of crisis after crisis over the last 5 years they have survived and not only that excelled so they are well placed.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Not going to happen. If anything they would prosper if they do it right and thus far in a climate of crisis after crisis over the last 5 years they have survived and not only that excelled so they are well placed.
Charter flights can be used as a way to increase aircraft usage without giving up scheduled flights. Aegean has operated for years charters to Greece for Kuoni and Tui in nordic market.

For quite many package tour travellers price is more important than schedule.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:41 am

I dont see them shifting the % from what they have now. I am aware they do charters to various places including BFS.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Interesting media treatment of the vote: Some sources are suggesting that the resounding no vote is almost like a raised finger. This morning some TV news showed ATMs with fewer than ten relaxed people waiting, while others showed ATMs with very long lines, apparently over a hundred people for a single machine. The latter tended to also have cops in riot gear in the pictures, although nothing seemed to be happening that would require an increased police presence. There are various opinions about the extent to which stock prices already reflected the Greek situation and some apparent surprise that the Euro isn't falling more against the dollar.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The media likes sensationalism, just like NBC showed an image of a homeless man lying on the street and they made it look as if due to the vote he became homeless. SO you have to take everything with a grain of salt.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:19 pm

The latest (current) Greek proposal included higher taxes on hotels and restaurants. This sounds like a great way to discourage tourism, although it has the obvious advantage that tourists don't vote.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:29 am

Lets hope some of it can be absorbed. At least tourism is booming so I dont think a few extra Euro will make a huge impact. Lets hope not otherwise the sharks would have brought down the tourist industry aswell as a generation of youth.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:57 am

It also included a 2% higher tax for any kind of business, tourism included.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
It would be good to focus the discussion more on the implications for future A3 operations of the current bailout impasse. Does anyone know what actions Aegean has taken to protect itself against Grexit? Is their fare revenue now being channelled to foreign subsidiaries of Greek banks (e.g. in Cyprus)? Have there been advance fuel purchases for supplies overseas? Also, I would be interested to hear any views about whether Miles and Bonus points should now be exchanged for flights on other *A airlines - I have 150k and would not like to lose them.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by johnirvine
It would be good to focus the discussion more on the implications for future A3 operations of the current bailout impasse. Does anyone know what actions Aegean has taken to protect itself against Grexit? Is their fare revenue now being channelled to foreign subsidiaries of Greek banks (e.g. in Cyprus)? Have there been advance fuel purchases for supplies overseas? Also, I would be interested to hear any views about whether Miles and Bonus points should now be exchanged for flights on other *A airlines - I have 150k and would not like to lose them.
IMHO, it seems that it would be quite drastic to fall into BK so suddenly. Throughout the crisis, they seem to have actually done quite well for themselves, and if anything, Greek tourism will only increase and A3 is the only non-budget carrier to Greece, and has the best coverage to and within Greece. Now, do what you will with your miles, as I am not a prophet, but I am not running anywhere with mine for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.