Status renew and next?

Old May 8, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: A3*G
I have a similar problem... I'm a recent A3 *G (under old, lower bar) who cannot re-qualify given low/no accrual for discount economy on many partners. Fortunately I'll use my few A3 miles on a flight to Greece to see a friend in August.

I fly (from Europe) 2+ to US per year (at the most expensive times, summer & X-mas) plus 1-2 long-haul asia/latam, all paid personally. MileagePlus got me 3 free RT over the past few years (help from CCs) before I went to M&B. I was planning to status match to TK for another two years *G, but it looks like it would be tough for me to re-qualify there with new TK accrual rates.

It doesn't seem logical to go back to accruing on MileagePlus now, since I buy tickets as cheaply as possible. Giving up keeping *G, whom should I accrue with, to get the maximum miles to redeem for a transatlantic every few years? So many credit 0% or 25% for Q,L,T,K. Mostly flying UA or LH; SK or AC is possible, but often with cost or scheduling pains.

Love these forums and appreciate any advice you can give a poor newb!
Old May 8, 2015, 1:01 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
slm81, welcome to FT and the A3 forum, even if your time as an A3*G with us may well be rather more short-lived than you'd hoped!

You might find the thread in the Star Alliance forum on FFP choice will give you better and broader advice than you'll find here. You'll find it here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

If you aren't going to maintain status anywhere, I would suspect that will draw you towards MileagePlus on an earning basis because I believe UA still awards 100% miles on their own flights, and YQ (fuel surcharges) on redemptions are generally lower.

What that won't cover, and you might want to consider if you're flying to the US at peak times in Y, is the opportunity to grab cheap business class fares from starting cities such as Dublin. If you route on Air Canada, for example, a 30-50% fare increase from Y will get you a Business Class fare at 200% earning, or you may find you can buy a Flexi fare for less money than a Tango from other starting points (earning @ 100%). Coupled with four A3/OA flights (which you can get in whilst visiting Greece), you'll easily re-qualify for A3*G.

Have a hunt around the various mileage run forums, and also threads on what are termed ex-EU departures - the BA board has many examples, and obviously where BA has a sale fare from a country outside the UK it's very likely to be matched by *A airlines. Just be careful to avoid United P fares in Business for direct flights from Ireland - they don't earn anything!
Old May 8, 2015, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by KLouis
(I refer to your )
Not complaining at all...
Old May 8, 2015, 11:13 am
Community Director

Folks, let's remember we debate the substance of the thread, not the person. Please bear this in mind when posting.

Thanks.

NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles&Bonus
Old May 8, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft
What should be nice is A3 to set up a HON / TK ELITE PLUS kind of status. Was flying to larnaca this week and almost 40% of the plane was with gold status, it's a non sens IMO.
I have noticed that myself, mostly in domestic flights, but I believe this will be over quite soon (Nov/2015) when most of the (previously) lifetime golds will not re-qualify for 2016.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You'll find it here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

If you aren't going to maintain status anywhere, I would suspect that will draw you towards MileagePlus on an earning basis because I believe UA still awards 100% miles on their own flights, and YQ (fuel surcharges) on redemptions are generally lower.

What that won't cover, and you might want to consider if you're flying to the US at peak times in Y, is the opportunity to grab cheap business class fares from starting cities such as Dublin.
Hi NWIFlyer! Thanks for the welcome and helpful reply. I've checked out that thread and will be sure to check out whether Dublin can get me more miles. I end up with connections anyway on the cheaper tickets.

My understanding is that MileagePlus earning is all $ based now? At 5x spend? Not sure what "awards 100% miles" means... but their CC offers and redemption availability and (low) surcharges are great, as you note.

It seems I'm up between Kris, Asiana or potentially Copa. This March Asiana, like Turkish, much degraded their economy UA earnings (perhaps Kris will follow?)
Old May 8, 2015, 5:31 pm
Community Director

Well, unfortunately answering this would take us far off-topic for this forum, so you'd be better off asking in the individual fora for those airlines. To keep it vaguely relevant with an A3 reference, unless you're solely flying SQ there's no way KrisFlyer would ever be considered superior to M&B though!
Old May 8, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Well, unfortunately answering this would take us far off-topic for this forum, so you'd be better off asking in the individual fora for those airlines. To keep it vaguely relevant with an A3 reference, unless you're solely flying SQ there's no way KrisFlyer would ever be considered superior to M&B though!
Seriously? The only way I can continue to accrue on M&B is to fly solely SAS, which they still credit 100% (I got only 50% of a 15k mile r/t to Brazil on LX/TP, and 0% for the EU LH legs.) SAS is annoying (some 45/50min connections in ARN/CPH) and occasionally a bit more expensive, but doable (and I can still pick bulkhead free for my long legs!)

I presume you mean in terms of redemptions (tho my experience with their web interface and email cust. service, was mediocre) and not earnings? But I'm very curious, in what ways is M&B better?
Old May 9, 2015, 12:02 am
Community Director

For much the same reasons as others have outlined - redemptions, member benefits on A3, customer service, qualification levels, 200% accrual on Business fares with many Star airlines (think about those ex-DUB fares again!). For most people with moderately frequent but varied flying patterns, A3 is a good fit for initial and continuing crediting. Of course, ymmv!
Old May 15, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G, ex LH FTL
I will requalify for A3*G with the next segment I fly in two weeks. Myself I think I will then credit some 6k more to complete 50k award miles at A3.
Then start crediting to M&M where I am FTL (*S) until end 2015. With their 'exec' bonuses and some earning in low booking classes I might be able to rack up another 50k by the end of this year for a TATL C upgrade.
Together it will give me *G and 50k in two programs.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
Well, I think i will continue to post to TK in order to requalify (because they are the only one crediting some cheap TK fares). And will post the A3 miles on A3 because they credit not that bad.

Was senator before, but don't talk to me about M&M anymore, worst program ever now. For those talking about HOn, it's impossible if you don't fly first A LOT because you have to credit miles + hon points during 2 years. Almost impossible for even a very frequent travellers in C.

What should be nice is A3 to set up a HON / TK ELITE PLUS kind of status. Was flying to larnaca this week and almost 40% of the plane was with gold status, it's a non sens IMO.
I totally agree with you that A3 needs to introduce a new Elite+ status in line with most other *A airlines. The qualification level should perhaps be 40,000 miles per year. This would allow A3 to direct discretionary benefits (eg upgrades) to their most frequent flyers and limit basic *A benefits to ordinary gold cardholders. The situation you experienced on the flight to Larnaca with 40% of the passengers being A3*G reflects the fact that Aegean have recently given status to all former Cyprus Airways passengers who formerly held gold Sunmiles status. It is no wonder that (as discussed in another thread) the tiny A3 lounge at LCA is no longer fit for purpose.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
Originally Posted by johnirvine
I totally agree with you that A3 needs to introduce a new Elite+ status in line with most other *A airlines.
Why then not to just increase the requirements?

Was flying to larnaca this week and almost 40% of the plane was with gold status, it's a non sens IMO.
May I ask how do you know how many golds where there?
Old May 18, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by potjernik
May I ask how do you know how many golds where there?
Priority boarding perhaps?
Old May 18, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by ELAL
Priority boarding perhaps?
Priority boarding and number of people saying "i have THE card" and other answering : "i have THE card too"... lol. Very funny.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.