Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Changes earning miles on SWISS (LX): E, K, L, T = 0 from 01MAY15 (and more chng)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes earning miles on SWISS (LX): E, K, L, T = 0 from 01MAY15 (and more chng)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So will bookings made prior to May 1 earn based on the prior levels?

I believe the flight date but not the reservation date.
would be nice to know if otherwise. I have two LX return trips booked in a few months time.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I remember I had the same issue with another LX mileage accrual downgrade, I was accumulating with Aeroplan, I called SWISS and they advised me that they will allocate the mileage based on purchase of ticket date.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have asked this question to the SWISS rep in their forum. It only makes sense that those who book May 1 onwards will not get any miles but if your flight was booked prior to it you should get the respective miles.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
... It only makes sense ...
I guess what makes sense is in the eye of the beholder?

It would be nice though, but I reckon it would take some serious effort on M&B behalf to track down when the booking was made on each *A flight that in the end gets credited to A3. A few other programs have done it in times of larger revamps, but I just don't think M&B is sophisticated enough for that to happen automatically.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
I guess what makes sense is in the eye of the beholder?

It would be nice though, but I reckon it would take some serious effort on M&B behalf to track down when the booking was made on each *A flight that in the end gets credited to A3. A few other programs have done it in times of larger revamps, but I just don't think M&B is sophisticated enough for that to happen automatically.
But wait a minute, the onus is upon LX to deposit the miles and then M&B reflect what was collected on our behalf. So LX knows in their systems when the booking was made.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
That could work if LX is 100% in charge of depositing miles to M&B and A3 is just a passive bystander.

But my perception (which could be completely wrong) is that LX decides how much they are going to pay in cents for each trip and A3 decides how many miles that will earn on M&B.

If so, even if LX pays 2 cents for some E,K,L,T trips and 0 cents for other E,K,L,T trips, it doesn't mean M&B necessarily would be able to credit differently. I don't think the cents are changing hands at the same time the miles do. I think there is some kind of reconciliation, say monthly, to settle the cents between airlines while depositing miles is an ongoing affair. So that is why I think it takes quite a sophisticated program to automatically handle two different earnings for the same fare class on the same flight date.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: A3 *G
Well, I guess we won't know until somebody has a factual experience. I can see the arguments for both sides. Personally I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, I travel on 19th so I will post here if I get any miles through. An answer in the negative will take longer because I will still put in the retro claim even if nothing comes through automatically.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
Actually it is a difficult year for LX with the sharp appreciation of swiss francs. If some who are affected by these new depositing rules from 1st May onwards are also having swiss francs as income, I guess it might be another give and take situation.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hiroaki27
Actually it is a difficult year for LX with the sharp appreciation of swiss francs. If some who are affected by these new depositing rules from 1st May onwards are also having swiss francs as income, I guess it might be another give and take situation.
Ok, am I missing something here, or is this a joke?

Last edited by djjaguar64; May 4, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old May 4, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AB Gold
I fly tomorrow, Tuesday 5 May, with Swiss. I have emailed them to ask them to honour my loyalty to them, Aegean and Star Alliance - the reason I booked the flight in the first place on March 29th to fly on May 5th.

Since then the rules have changed. So it's clearly a question of goodwill to a Star Alliance Gold passenger - all spelled out in my email. I emailed Sunday. As yet no reply. It normally takes a couple of days for them to reply. I fly tomorrow afternoon so we'll see what happens. Clearly, there is no obligation on their part. But it will be interesting to see what Star Alliance Gold might mean to them. If anything.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Wakefield_boy; May 4, 2015 at 11:41 am
Old May 4, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Generally, the changes apply based on dates of flights flown, not when they were booked, so, I am pretty sure that's what will happen here. On the other hand, I consider it deceptive and unethical for such changes to be implemented on such a short notice (a week or so), consumers should have been given at least 2-3 months advance notice (ideally 6 months or more). Given that many consumers would have never booked reduced or zero earning fares, I consider such short notice changes to be deceptive and unethical (most likely unintentionally, but still...)
Old May 4, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wakefield_boy
I fly tomorrow, Tuesday 5 May, with Swiss. I have emailed them to ask them to honour my loyalty to them, Aegean and Star Alliance - the reason I booked the flight in the first place on March 29th to fly on May 5th.

Since then the rules have changed. So it's clearly a question of goodwill to a Star Alliance Gold passenger - all spelled out in my email. I emailed Sunday. As yet no reply. It normally takes a couple of days for them to reply. I fly tomorrow afternoon so we'll see what happens. Clearly, there is no obligation on their part. But it will be interesting to see what Star Alliance Gold might mean to them. If anything.

Fingers crossed.
Good for you. Where did you send your email? I'd like to send one as well.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: A3*G
I also sent a message through the contact form on the SWISS website - no reply as yet... they probably have received quite a stack of similar queries by now.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AB Gold
Yes, I used the contact form on the Swiss website. I fly in 5hrs' time - going to be interesting!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: A3 *G
I just emailed too. I outlined what has happened and suggested that they should contact Aegean, regardless of who is at "fault" and try to come to an agreement that these miles should be honoured. I also told them nicely that my flights in May will probably be my last with Swiss (which will probably make them less likely to take me seriously, but I just had to vent).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.