Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade experience as A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global guy
Have been A3 Gold for three years now. NEVER had an op up on either AC UA LH or LX. Did use 2 out 4 upgrade certificates on A3 last year.
Keep in mind that in most instances,OP UP's occur when there is an oversell condition and the airlines upgrades its own top tiers first before Star Golds. It may be that you did not travel on Oversold flights.

I have been upgraded on AC & LX as an A3 gold. Flights were oversold.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got upgraded from PY to C on AC YULCDG the other night. Flight was oversold in Y. I think I was the only *G to be upgraded to J. It is possible someone got upgraded to PY to take over the two seats that I held which pushed us up to C.

We left the in-laws behind the curtain (they were on a different PNR).
Old May 3, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
LHR-ATH today, I was wait-listed for a coupon upgrade but it didn't clear 2 hours before take off (as per aegean's terms and conditions for coupon upgrades). Asked the check-in agent if flight overbooked and she answered "not yet".

They called me at the lounge and upgraded me after 20 minutes.

The problem here is that they used the coupon although that was clearly an op-up.
I could have brought an extra bag if I knew in advance.

Not really happy, I'm going to complain and ask for the coupon back (if possible)
Old May 4, 2016, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
I've recently enjoyed another free upgrade from economy minus to economy. This time it was very welcome, because it was on one of the new 737-900 planes which are awfully uncomfortable in economy minus. And the toilets are ridiculously small. There should be a law against that.

There were plenty of empty seats in economy minus, and some empty seats in economy. I simply asked, at checkin, to sit farther to the front, and they moved me up.
Add another one to that list.

And maybe I should mention this: On United Express flights operated by ExpressJet, booked directly with UA, I can usually pick one of the "plus" seats in the front of the E145 jet for free - after I have entered my A3 number and saved that, so that the system recognizes my status.

But hardly anyone would pay extra for those seats anyway. 1A and 2A can get SUPER cold, the draft from the galley is FREEZING. 3A can also get very cold. The two seats of the first row on the right (3D & 3F?) have a wall in front of them, so no space for a bag "underneath the seat in front of you".

That leaves row 4 in the "Economy plus" section. And the difference between row 4 and a seat in 5 or 6 is really not worth the extra money.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
LHR-ATH today, I was wait-listed for a coupon upgrade but it didn't clear 2 hours before take off (as per aegean's terms and conditions for coupon upgrades). Asked the check-in agent if flight overbooked and she answered "not yet".

The problem here is that they used the coupon although that was clearly an op-up.
I could have brought an extra bag if I knew in advance.

Not really happy, I'm going to complain and ask for the coupon back (if possible)
You offered to use the coupon for the upgrade and you got it.

Who knows if YOU would also have upgraded if you would not have been waitlisted with your coupon? What gives you this conviction?

I would not complain, just be happy that your waitlist got confirmed!
Old May 5, 2016, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
I would not complain, just be happy that your waitlist got confirmed!
That.
Old May 7, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: A3*G EY*G
I was upgraded on an overbooked OS flight SOF-VIE recently.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" to speak, but on 2/3 of my recent domestic flights on CA I was automatically assigned to the exit row (one of which being a bulkhead on their new 748). The third flight was booked in "F" (really just J, though) so no chance of an upgrade. My colleague was not so lucky and ended up 20+ rows back in a middle seat.

On the one flight they also made a point of coming to me and asking my meal choice before we even took off. So overall I'm fairly impressed with CA's policy, even though I didn't get properly upgraded.
Old May 16, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Flew recently with ZH after a couple of years, no upgrades but bulkhead seats were offered. Gold status was recognised and FA came over to say hi before take off. Napkins & newspapers were also offered (not a norm for ZH Y).

On my return leg, flight was delayed. FA came over to explain the reason for delay personally to another *G and myself in Y, and also offered hot beverages while other Y passengers were only offered water.

Quite a good experience for a short 90min international flight.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by razorblade
Flew recently with ZH after a couple of years, no upgrades but bulkhead seats were offered. Gold status was recognised and FA came over to say hi before take off. Napkins & newspapers were also offered (not a norm for ZH Y).

On my return leg, flight was delayed. FA came over to explain the reason for delay personally to another *G and myself in Y, and also offered hot beverages while other Y passengers were only offered water.

Quite a good experience for a short 90min international flight.
Who is ZH?
Old May 16, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Miles&More ; A3*G
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Who is ZH?
Shenzhen Airlines (China)
Old May 21, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
I've got a free upgrade to C this week on my Asiana flight from Incheon (ICN) to Nanjing (NKG). Pleasant experience, the business class on this B767 was better than expected. *G status recognized, I was the only passenger in C greeted by name, and personally briefed about flight data (maybe just because I was the only non-Asian passenger?).
Old May 29, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DrHalxx

My situation is different, but here goes...

On Aug 19-20 I have a series of A3 flights so I get the 4 sectors: LHR-ATH-SKG-ATH-LIS. Baggage is at left luggage at SKG while I spend a 10-hour stopover touring the city, to see sites I missed last September.

Managed to use one coupon get an upgrade to business on LHR-ATH. I figured no point in using a coupon for ATH-SKG as it is only 50 minutes.

I am on a waiting list for using a coupon for upgrade on ATH-LIS. Currently there are only 2 seats left in business class for $$ purchase. Hummm...

Edit: Today (May 30th) I received an email from the Amadeus booking group stating that I "got" an upgrade to Business for the ATH-LIS sector. When I checked on the number of upgrade coupons, two have been used up. Yippee.

Now I still need enough miles to get *G again so probably an AI in Business DXB-CCU RT via DEL and BOM. Had to postpone a trip to the Chittagong Hill Tracts (Bangladesh) due to a medical emergency surgery. All fine now, so travel (for pleasure) is a definite prospect again. The AI lounge at BOM is quite nice ^

Last edited by tmac100; Jun 4, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Still waiting for my first op up as a A3 *G. Recently flew IAD-NRT-Jakarta on United and ANA. Flight was quite full but I guess not oversold. Same situation on return via ORD.
I guess my turn will come eventually.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
Upgraded twice as A3*G. Once on LH, another on LX. However both tickets bought almost last minute so at high fare brackets. Not sure upgraded due to *G or higher fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.