Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Overnight in Athens, lounge, luggage through-check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold

Flying in to ATH at 2340 from JTR on A3. Flight out next AM at 0830 on A3 to MUC and then to ORD on UA. JTR-ATH and ATH-MUC-ORD are separate tickets. Would A3 through-check my luggage so I don't have to claim it in ATH?

Also, according to this http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-infor...-club-lounges/ , the A3 lounge opens at 300, I figure I might forego a hotel, kill 3 hours and rest in the lounge? Any experiences with that?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by smxflyer
Flying in to ATH at 2340 from JTR on A3. Flight out next AM at 0830 on A3 to MUC and then to ORD on UA. JTR-ATH and ATH-MUC-ORD are separate tickets. Would A3 through-check my luggage so I don't have to claim it in ATH?
Yes; they're not obliged to, but they usually do.

Also, according to this http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-infor...-club-lounges/ , the A3 lounge opens at 300, I figure I might forego a hotel, kill 3 hours and rest in the lounge? Any experiences with that?...
Killing three hours at ATH at this time of day (or, to be precise, night)... Well, doable, although most (but not all) of the stores, cafes and so on are behind the BC check. Two hints: 1) Include a visit to the museum (main lobby, stairs up one floor), there go another 15-20 minutes and 2) when in the lounge, avoid the low, black, comfortable sofas! You risk falling asleep when you should board, and they no longer call the flights.

PS Just looked at the quoted URL. Their lounge is not close to gate 4 but, rather, gate 13!

Last edited by KLouis; Apr 6, 2015 at 3:38 am Reason: corrected info on where the lounge is
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
You have 8 hours layover in the middle of the night, followed by a 16-hour trip. I would do the airport Sofitel across the street, unless you fly J to ORD.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: A3 *G
when in the lounge, avoid the low, black, comfortable sofas! You risk falling asleep when you should board,
HA. Was there a couple of days (nights?) ago. I REALLY wanted to take of my shoes, stretch out and sleep but I also didn't want to look like a tramp or break any 'lounge-etiquette', waking up surrounded by freshly showered and bright-eyed awake types. I was in there from 04:00 until 08:00 and, for info, it didn't really start to get busy until around 06:00. I still managed about 2hrs sleep sat in the aforementioned black sofas - they are rather comfortable and sleep-inducing. Remember to set an alarm!

A tip - the food selections at that time are pretty minimal - cake, pastries, yogurts. If you're expecting them to roll out bacon and scrambled egg at some point - it isn't going to happen. You might be better decamping to the LH lounge next door - I don't know for sure if they serve hot breakfast but they certainly serve VERY nice hot food at lunchtime. Does anybody have experience of breakfast in there? Also - I've never tried the LH lounge when on an A3 flight - are they 'funny' about it? Do they try to send you to the A3 lounge or just let you in?

Last edited by Knobbgb; Apr 6, 2015 at 12:10 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
...Also - I've never tried the LH lounge when on an A3 flight - are they 'funny' about it? Do they try to send you to the A3 lounge or just let you in?
I've never tried the LH lounge either when on an A3 ticket, but a friend of mine only goes there, actually because of the food. He was never told to go next door.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You might be better decamping to the LH lounge next door - I don't know for sure if they serve hot breakfast but they certainly serve VERY nice hot food at lunchtime. Does anybody have experience of breakfast in there? Also - I've never tried the LH lounge when on an A3 flight - are they 'funny' about it? Do they try to send you to the A3 lounge or just let you in?
Keep in mind that the LH lounge opens quite a bit later than the A3 one. If you miss dinner due to the flight schedules I would suggest to get something to eat in the terminal while you are waiting for the A3 lounge to open.

From what I remember (Paid a brief visit to the LH lounge in January around 5AM) they do have some hot options, though not as extended as around lunchtime. I believe I went with fresh croissants and orange juice that day (Which for me is kind of the best breakfast out there).

As for access - I have never been denied access when flying LH,LX,OS,SK. And SK has their own contract lounge (Goldair). Though I have never tried with Aegean (But I suspect it will be fine).

[edit]
This picture shows that Aegean is on the list of allowed airlines for entry.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
- I've never tried the LH lounge when on an A3 flight - are they 'funny' about it? Do they try to send you to the A3 lounge or just let you in?[/QUOTE]

They are not only not "funny" about it, but very welcoming. I used the LH lounge for all but my first flight with A3 when I didn't know any better. As stated, the LH lounge has much superior food offerings and more comfortable furnishings IMHO. However, I've only been there in the afternoon and early evening, so not sure what time they open.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:17 am

A few months back I was in the LH lounge at breakfast time and the offerings were dire. It was basic and the lounge itself is tired and old. Its needs a revamp. I was however welcomed by friendly staff but after 35 mins went to the A3 lounge next door.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:44 am

Nothing hot.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: A3 *G
Nothing hot.
But still looks a lot better than what was on offer for breakfast from A3.

About the LH lounge - I also must add that the alcoholic drinks selection seems to be a lot better too. They had a larger choice of wines and (to my dismay because it was 7am) they had a bottle of my favourite single malt - "Oban".

Yes, the seating is a bit tired and it is a bit small and worn, but the food and drink swing it for me.

And SK has their own contract lounge (Goldair).
I didn't realise that. With my last two SAS flights I've used the A3 and LH lounges. Is the Goldair lounge any good? I believe it's the former Olympic one isn't it?

Would it be appropriate for us to have a "Lounge Review" thread or is that covered elsewhere on FT? I'm visiting a few off-the-track ones over the coming months and I'd be happy to post photographs. I was thinking specifically of lounges we would use as A3*G and covering issues specific to us, such as experience of access with/without the gold card etc.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:06 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Would it be appropriate for us to have a "Lounge Review" thread or is that covered elsewhere on FT? I'm visiting a few off-the-track ones over the coming months and I'd be happy to post photographs. I was thinking specifically of lounges we would use as A3*G and covering issues specific to us, such as experience of access with/without the gold card etc.
Most lounge threads and reviews are contained within the individual forum for that airline. Whilst not *A, there is an excellent one put together by my colleague Prospero for BA lounges Worldwide. See posts 3 & 4 in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...dashboard.html

I'd like to have something like this for A3, but that will take time to build and construct (and Prospero's probably rather better at those wizzy Google graphic things that I am!). I'd expect it to concentrate on A3 lounges in Greece plus any specific contract lounges A3 uses outside the *G system (eg BUD).

I wouldn't expect to see a, say, SK lounge in CPH in there because that would fall under the SAS Eurobonus forum.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:31 pm

But still looks a lot better than what was on offer for breakfast from A3.

Anytime I have been there they had a better selection of warm pastries. Yoghurts in the fridge. Bread/cheese on the opposite counter etc... Drink selection is good enough for me but then again I don't drink spirits at 7am so I guess it comes down to personal habits and likes/dislikes. Plus they have a Nespresso machine which swings it for me as I love my coffee.I certainly don't think LH offers a lot better than A3. Having been to many LH lounges I would certainly not argue with you on their MUC/FRA/LHR ones but not at ATH. I have been using that LH lounge since it opened at Venizelos even when it used to be Business left side and Senator to the right.

Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
LH is a *A gold lounge too, so no problem to enter. Food is better, but i prefer the A3 smoking room, huge difference for smokers like me.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
I've never tried the LH lounge either when on an A3 ticket, but a friend of mine only goes there, actually because of the food. He was never told to go next door.
They definitely let you in. I've been there a hundred times and they never even mentioned the a3 lounge next door. So why not make a stop there for breakfast and then relax at a3 on a nice sofa?

The launches are like 20 seconds away from each other.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
As I have 5 hours in between my 2 A3 flights today I have the chance to extensively test the two lounges (indeed no problem getting into the LH one).

The pros/cons for both:
- muuuuuch better food offer at LH. Not even close. Tasty sandwiches in morning, awesome bougatsa.. for lunch great fresh dakos salad, pasta, chicken pistachio and a delicious lobster soup.
- sparkling wine and beers from draft at the LH lounge, not at A3.
- as a wine buff, the offer (all Greek wines at both lounges) is more varied at LH, although I like the reds at A3 much more.
- the seating at A3 is better, the lounge most often less crowded and it looks by far better, more modern.
- THE big downside of LH: no toilet, you have to use the public one at the hallway. A3 has a toilet.

To summarize: for comfort/quietness go for A3, for food/drinks LH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.