Long stopover/layover in Athens

Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
With the financial crisis, it shouldn't be hard to find a hotel/motel at the center at either a full one day's rate, or a few hours day rate (it would be crazy not to try to accommodate you with this financial crisis and in a low season period, and rates should be very cheap). Being sleepless and facing a 17hour layover I would go for a hotel, particularly if you're flying economy from YYZ.

Unfortunately, the Greek economy and bailout negotiations are again tittering on the brink this week, this is definitely a buyer's market for perishable goods like hotel rooms, I would be very surprised if you cannot negotiate a 40-50 euro day rate for a hotel at the center.

Last edited by nk15; Mar 28, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
...I would be very surprised if you cannot negotiate a 40-50 euro day rate for a hotel at the center.
There are indeed plenty of hotels in the centre of Athens at that price. And if you book it through booking.com, you even get M&B miles!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
There aren't that may buses to Rafina but it's a much quicker journey than into Athens so may be more practical in the time you have. They're mostly about every hour (with some gaps) and take about 20 minutes. Just a thought.
How much would a taxi to Rafina cost approx?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Jasperi
Honestly, I personally don't think the Acropolis museum is that great. (although the building itself is pretty nice).
I love museums, and I agree with this (finally someone said it!). It's definitely worth visiting and the whole story behind its architectural concept and construction is interesting, but given a choice, I'd pick the National Archaeological Museum every time. World-class, absorbing, I could spend hours and hours there (with a nice little cafe to relax in as well).

Of course, if time is critical, the Acropolis Museum is right next to a metro station and probably the better choice (The NAM is a few minutes walk away from the closest station).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by blackball
I love museums, and I agree with this (finally someone said it!). It's definitely worth visiting and the whole story behind its architectural concept and construction is interesting, but given a choice, I'd pick the National Archaeological Museum every time. World-class, absorbing, I could spend hours and hours there (with a nice little cafe to relax in as well).

Of course, if time is critical, the Acropolis Museum is right next to a metro station and probably the better choice (The NAM is a few minutes walk away from the closest station).
I actually also completely agree with all that - although I would name the Benaki museum as my absolute top choice close enough to the metro as well!

For what it's worth, another good museum (cycladic art) is a partner of M&B, giving you a small discount:
https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...-cycladic-art/
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:38 pm

Here are my 2 cents worth (certainly not an expert!):

Akropolis M.: Fantastic building with amazing views all around. Contents are rather "limited"

National Archeological M.: Run down building but really amazing contents ranging from neolithic to hellenistic via Mycaenaic through classics. Simply great!

Benaki M.: "Esoteric"! Greek, Eastern, Ottoman, super collection...

Cycladic Art M.: (very close to the previous and the next ones). Very specific, stuff you won't see anywhere else in the world.

Byzantine M.: Unique collection of late Roman to Byzantine art.

All of the above reachable by metro, when coming from the airport you'd have to change at Syntagma to reach the first two, on opposite directions, though. There are several more small museums in Athens, let's leave it here.

Last edited by KLouis; Mar 31, 2015 at 8:49 pm Reason: links added
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Here are my 2 cents worth (certainly not an expert!):

Akropolis M.: Fantastic building with amazing views all around. Contents are rather "limited"

National Archeological M.: Run down building but really amazing contents ranging from neolithic to hellenistic via Mycaenaic through classics. Simply great!

Benaki M.: "Esoteric"! Greek, Eastern, Ottoman, super collection...

Cycladic Art M.: (very close to the previous and the next ones). Very specific, stuff you won't see anywhere else in the world.

Byzantine M.: Unique collection of late Roman to Byzantine art.

All of the above reachable by metro, when coming from the airport you'd have to change at Syntagma to reach the first two, on opposite directions, though. There are several more small museums in Athens, let's leave it here.
Good list there. I went to the museums ( older ones ) as a kid and maybe its time for a revisit. Just never get the chance to do them but should really set aside time next time.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I would add that the bus at that time is probably actually faster and easier than Metro anyway. And a few bucks cheaper too.

Bus:
http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px95

Click on "backward direction". You will start at KTIRIO AFIXEON (=arrivals) and go down till AFETIRIA (=bus starting point, being Syntagma square).

Regarding luggage: If you arrive at 4AM that sounds like the either the Aegean or BA flight from London. In case of BA I would suspect that the flight to JTR is on a separate ticket. If that is the case then you may need to retrieve and check your luggage again. Which probably will not be possible so early. If you are on one single ticket it should be no problem to check your luggage through to JTR from your starting point.
We had a similar layover although we arrived a couple of hours later...We left our luggage in a locker at the A3 club (don't know what time it opens). Since you're *A gold, you have access. Then we took the metro into the city to Syntagma square and walked to the Acropolis...it's one of those icons that just should be on everyone's bucket list...then walked to the Acropolis Museum which was great and where we had a very nice late lunch in their dining room with a fantastic view of the Acropolis and Parthenon.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:11 pm

Coming into Athens, my girlfriend and I have had a slight schedule change with a new arrival from IST at 12:00 and a departure for FCO at 15:25.

Assuming flights are on time, do we have time to get out of the airport, see the Parthenon / Acropolis and take a couple of snaps and get back to the airport with time to spare? How much of a horrible rush would this be?

(IST - ATH in economy, ATH - FCO in business. Not sure if this makes a difference)
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by HiroshimaFlyer
Coming into Athens, my girlfriend and I have had a slight schedule change with a new arrival from IST at 12:00 and a departure for FCO at 15:25.

Assuming flights are on time, do we have time to get out of the airport, see the Parthenon / Acropolis and take a couple of snaps and get back to the airport with time to spare? How much of a horrible rush would this be?

(IST - ATH in economy, ATH - FCO in business. Not sure if this makes a difference)
Assuming, as you say, no delays, the simple answer is, unfortunately, no. Total travel time by train, return, would be around 2 hours (2x 40 min, plus time needed to change trains), plus waiting time for trains from/to the airport and tickets (Acropolis and train), plus walking ~750 m uphill and back, plus climbing up to the Parthenon and backdown... Absolutely impossible!

It could be done, marginally, by taxi (especially when arranging for the cab to wait for you at the Acropolis and bring you back to ATH), but the traffic in Athens would bring you very close to a heart attack/stroke worrying about making your next flight.

I'd wait for a next time with a visit to the Acropolis...

Last edited by KLouis; Apr 2, 2015 at 11:24 pm Reason: edited a few details
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by HiroshimaFlyer

No hope and not worth trying to be honest. I recommend 6 hours between flights for such a trip to make it worthwhile and even then its rushed. You would have been hard pushed to do it back in the old days at Hellinikon which was only 30 mins from the city.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Have a 7:30 stop, between 16:00 - 23:30
Musuems would be closed, any idea anything else?
Are there any good planespotting locations around the airport?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ELAL
Have a 7:30 stop, between 16:00 - 23:30
Musuems would be closed, any idea anything else?
Are there any good planespotting locations around the airport?
In your case the choice would be North or South: Take a cab and either go to Loutsa or Rafina (North) or Varkiza (South). Have an early dinner at a sea-side taverna and then a taxi back to the airport. Depending on the wind direction, you'll see the planes landing, although they'll be rather high to call this planespotting: all three places are sort of under the flight path, the first couple under 10 km, and the latter ~15 km from the runway.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
If my flight arrive ATH very early in the morning, but have a connecting flight very late at night. Is it possible for me to take a rest in the A3 lounge for a few hours before I have a day trip in ATH and back in the evening? (assume luggage check through)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
If my flight arrive ATH very early in the morning, but have a connecting flight very late at night. Is it possible for me to take a rest in the A3 lounge for a few hours before I have a day trip in ATH and back in the evening? (assume luggage check through)
I see no reason why not...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.