Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by blackball
This is really something we need to bring up with A3 M&B. If they can't honor it, take it off the advertised benefits (and the same goes with some other, minor benefits for which clueless retail people have no idea what you're talking about).
Autohellas (=Hertz Greece) owns at least 11% of Aegean. The Vassilakis family owns Aegean and founded Autohellas. Their headquarters are in the same building.. Just sayin'
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:29 am

I searched the A3 site for quite some time and I was not able to find the "upgrade" privilege for M+B gold members (I don't think they ever had that for *G). Seems to have been "enhanced" along with others...

By the way, when booking Hertz rentals through the A3 site you now get ~30% off! I have no idea how long this offer is valid for, though. The strange thing is, I tried to have Hertz at Athens match the offer for a rental at FCO next week through an email request and they said that they would not be able to do it, and I should book through the A3 site. In that case, though, I was told I would no longer be able to have the Hertz Gold priviledges at FCO (like car waiting for me, upgrade, etc.). Hertz has not stopped amazing me in all those years.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
I searched the A3 site for quite some time and I was not able to find the "upgrade" privilege for M+B gold members (I don't think they ever had that for *G). Seems to have been "enhanced" along with others...
Please check this, this

By the way, when booking Hertz rentals through the A3 site you now get ~30% off! I have no idea how long this offer is valid for, though.
And this

Last edited by Argyris; Jan 15, 2017 at 9:56 am Reason: update
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Argyris
Please check this[/URL]
Also the cabin crew announces the free upgrade for "gold card holders" when booking a rental car at Hertz (+ up to x miles) upon arrival at every destination.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Argyris
Please check this, this

And this
Thank you Argyris and KLouis! I would have never seen the 30% off! Got a trip in March, will make sure I book in time
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Arrivals
Autohellas (=Hertz Greece) owns at least 11% of Aegean. The Vassilakis family owns Aegean and founded Autohellas. Their headquarters are in the same building.. Just sayin'
Ha! Ok, well, I haven't rented in Greece. Just Italy, Switzerland and a few other countries.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: A3
LH seat upgrade?

Hey guys,

Did anyone manage to upgrade their seats on long-haul flight with LH?

I'm particularly interested in flights from FRA to DEN.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:03 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A3 does participate in the *A upgrade scheme, as does LH, so provided you meet the criteria (available award space on LH, high enough Economy ticket bucket purchased) you will be able to use A3 miles to upgrade a LH flight. Note that where LH has Business, Premium Economy and Economy cabins, no upgrades are possible from Y to J.

The reality is also that this is regarded as extremely poor value for a redemption, so the chances of someone on FT actually having done it is probably fairly small!

So if you're looking for a confirmed example, you may well struggle. If you're looking for confirmation that it's possible, then it definitely is.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
A3 does participate in the *A upgrade scheme, as does LH, so provided you meet the criteria (available award space on LH, high enough Economy ticket bucket purchased) you will be able to use A3 miles to upgrade a LH flight. Note that where LH has Business, Premium Economy and Economy cabins, no upgrades are possible from Y to J.

The reality is also that this is regarded as extremely poor value for a redemption, so the chances of someone on FT actually having done it is probably fairly small!

So if you're looking for a confirmed example, you may well struggle. If you're looking for confirmation that it's possible, then it definitely is.
Thank you. Could you elaborate on the poor value part? Is it because it's close to 66% of the 'price' of an award ticket?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:47 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goa3sane
Thank you. Could you elaborate on the poor value part? Is it because it's close to 66% of the 'price' of an award ticket?
Yes, sure. Typically the lowest cost business seat will cost less (sometimes much less) than the highest cost Economy seat. You can only upgrade from Y to J by buying in these extremely expensive classes in the first place, so unless you want full flexibility it's much better just to pay for the business class seat in the first place.

This isn't just LH that's affected - all the *A airlines that participate in the upgrade scheme have these same rules.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, sure. Typically the lowest cost business seat will cost less (sometimes much less) than the highest cost Economy seat. You can only upgrade from Y to J by buying in these extremely expensive classes in the first place, so unless you want full flexibility it's much better just to pay for the business class seat in the first place.

This isn't just LH that's affected - all the *A airlines that participate in the upgrade scheme have these same rules.
Some businesses will happily pay full fare Y but won't allow their employees to buy cheaper J, so using an upgrade this way might be a way to go for a small number of corporate workers.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:50 am

I have a few M&B miles sitting around from a few years ago when I earned *G through A3's generous program which I would like to use to upgrade an actual A3 flight (FRA-ATH) I have coming up. I no longer have M&B status as I let it lapse when A3 changed their earning policies.

I see from the website that I need to call and request this and I am pretty sure I am booked in an eligible fare class. What are the chances of actually getting an upgrade? Is it processed immediately or at departure?

(I searched but could not locate that info)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by whlinder
I have a few M&B miles sitting around from a few years ago when I earned *G through A3's generous program which I would like to use to upgrade an actual A3 flight (FRA-ATH) I have coming up. I no longer have M&B status as I let it lapse when A3 changed their earning policies.

I see from the website that I need to call and request this and I am pretty sure I am booked in an eligible fare class. What are the chances of actually getting an upgrade? Is it processed immediately or at departure?

(I searched but could not locate that info)
Immediately, although they sometimes have to put you on a 'wait list' and call you back. As for your chances - why not just call? They are usually very efficient and you should know within a few minutes - probably more quickly than actually posting here.

You can use their website anyway, to check the availability - just proceed with a dummy booking as if you were using miles to buy a J class flight. If a seat is available there, then it should also be available for an upgrade.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Hi!

I've recently booked the flight KWI-WAW via ATH, I'm wondering which fare is the class S? Is it go light or saver?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:53 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HanDaniel
Hi!

I've recently booked the flight KWI-WAW via ATH, I'm wondering which fare is the class S? Is it go light or saver?
I'm afraid we can't tell - S class can book into both fare types. If you look at your trip confirmation and see you have a baggage allowance outside any *G entitlement, then you're on a Flex fare. If no base baggage allowance, you're on a Go Light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.