Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean starting to simply shorten Status validity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean starting to simply shorten Status validity?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by goqsane
I don't want to give away too many details, but since A3 is just not being OK with me (should have been gold already since beginning of November 2014) I decided to take things into my hands. I had a neat little A3*G virtual card with all correct data..just that according to A3 I'm still only silver, but according to my card...
Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
I think anyone with an old card dated thru 2016 would be covered by the new one year gold extension also until 01/2016, so no unearned benefit is being obtained. Please refrain from accusing other members of questionable conduct, such speculation is not welcome here!
OP confirms that he's not holding confimred *G status with A3 but "corrected data by himself"... So, that should be legal what OP does?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's try refraining from tossing out definitive accusations, such as "criminal", unless it can be backed up via a legal citation.

Gaming the system is part of the Flyertalk agenda. Some tactics may truly be illegal, violate program rules, or even be ethically/morally questionable. However let's minimize hyperbole. Offering your opinion, with the logic behind it, is the way we discuss.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
OP confirms that he's not holding confimred *G status with A3 but "corrected data by himself"... So, that should be legal what OP does?
Not sure even so that would work, for example at the LH lounges, cards are swiped/scanned, which I assume also happens with the virtual card? Wouldn't the machine recognize the true status and deny entry? I'm sure Photoshop can only go so far?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:52 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Not sure even so that would work, for example at the LH lounges, cards are swiped/scanned, which I assume also happens with the virtual card? Wouldn't the machine recognize the true status and deny entry? I'm sure Photoshop can only go so far?
I doubt it's possible with the virtual card, because it looks like it generates automatically each time you log in. However, it obviously is possible to scan the QR code, look at the format in which the data is presented, and then generate a new QR code with Gold level indicated. All that's needed then is to drop the replacement code in place of the old one, print the card out and hope it's accepted.

This is obviously a highly risky strategy - not to mention wholly illegal in a fraud sense if you're trying to claim a benefit to which you're not entitled - and personally I'd put the risks way, way, beyond the potential rewards.

First of all, you need the lounge agent to accept your self-printed card - which, given that agents are mostly looking for forged cards, must eventually come unstuck. If I were a lounge agent, I'd probably personally expect someone to log into a website or similar to show 'live' data was being accessed. If you can somehow re-write the app to show non-live data, which would clearly be pre-meditated and therefore pretty damning, there's a good chance you'll get past this stage.

However, whenever the lounge invoices are reconciled (which is not thought to be instant), whoever is paying is going to notice a claim for a person/FF number which doesn't correspond to Gold status.

So, taking it to extremes, what happens at each of these points?

If you're discovered at the airport, you risk far more than just refusal at the lounge - because a attempted fraud is being committed, there is probably a risk of arrest. Given this could be happening in a foreign country, at an airport, that could end up with you being held abroad, missing your flight and having to pay for a replacement, having a criminal record (therefore debarring entry into many countries, including the US if not a citizen) and on a number of lists you'd probably rather not be associated with.

If it's discovered at reconciliation, the fraud has already been committed. The least that will happen is closure of the FFP account and forfeiture of the miles. Beyond that, there is obviously still the possibility of a fraud conviction and recovery of costs - which, given LH's attitude in taking one passenger to court over his refundable ticket, is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Worth it for a few free glasses of alcohol and a bit of food? Not in my book ...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: A3 *G
I've only done it because A3 are not being serious with me with the delay in issuing a real gold card. Sorry to say, but you do not seem to have sufficient information if I read stuff like Photoshop and so on. This has nothing to do with forging any images or barcodes or whatsoever. There are other ways about which I am not going to talk. As I say, my morality would never allow me to actually abuse the system if I knew I wasn't entitled to my benefits. So why won't you just stop this crusade against me already?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:17 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by goqsane
I've only done it because A3 are not being serious with me with the delay in issuing a real gold card. Sorry to say, but you do not seem to have sufficient information if I read stuff like Photoshop and so on. This has nothing to do with forging any images or barcodes or whatsoever. There are other ways about which I am not going to talk. As I say, my morality would never allow me to actually abuse the system if I knew I wasn't entitled to my benefits. So why won't you just stop this crusade against me already?
Crusade? Oh, come on, please ... I'm not the person calling you all sorts of names that doubtless have no basis in fact.

Your case is somewhat different, I would suggest, where the issues are more complex (although personally I probably wouldn't take the same action you've done, but that's entirely my decision). In my view, there is still considerable risk in doing what you have, but that's your decision to accept those risks and any possible consequences. Not one of us is here to judge you for that, least of all me, I'm just setting out what I see as the potential end-games!

However, there may be others who are thinking there's an easy way to get something they are definitely not entitled to, and imho they would definitely have issues if they tried it.

Anyway, hopefully your outstanding issues with A3 will be cleared up quickly and you won't have to cope with any possible dilemmas ...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Don't the card scanners at the lounge check a database for status? I thought the barcode only contained the FF number, not status information, as storing it locally would be quite stupid. Of course some stations still use paper records and can easily be duped (BEG, DBV come to mind), but surely LH use a more modern system?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:48 am
Community Director

Don't the card scanners at the lounge check a database for status? I thought the barcode only contained the FF number, not status information, as storing it locally would be quite stupid. Of course some stations still use paper records and can easily be duped (BEG, DBV come to mind), but surely LH use a more modern system?
If you scan the QR code from the app, you can see the information that's in there. It includes member number, FFP, name, status level and expiry date.

Where the boarding pass doesn't show Gold status because, for instance, the *A status database is lagging reality, lounge access can be gained by showing alternative evidence of status. A card, or virtual card, that appeared to do that would do the trick. In those circumstances, I imagine the lounge agent would only review the text data from the QR code which would read 'Gold' given he/she will already have been told the centralised information was outdated.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I am getting tired of all the hostile comments on FT, and the "I-know-better-than-you" mentality :/

I've also experienced several lounge agents in the US not even knowing what Aegean is, hehe
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:11 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by skrosvik
I've also experienced several lounge agents in the US not even knowing what Aegean is, hehe
Not a surprise - they just about knew who BD was at the point the airline exited Star!

It may improve a little now UA is the only American member - it does seem that AC agents do know most of the European airlines judging by conversations I've had in various lounges throughout Canada.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think my question belongs here. I was Blue before the changes indicating that I had reached Star Silver, now it still shows my account status as Blue. Did they take that status away from me with the changes?

It shows that I have 1 upgrade coupon with them so I'm a bit confused.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I think my question belongs here. I was Blue before the changes indicating that I had reached Star Silver, now it still shows my account status as Blue. Did they take that status away from me with the changes?

It shows that I have 1 upgrade coupon with them so I'm a bit confused.
DO you mean a seat upgrade coupon or some other kind of coupon (perhaps for Holmes' place or so).
If you were blue in the previous programme (which included *S) and you haven't flew 8000 (incl 2 aegean flights) or 16000 miles, you will be blue in the new programme (which is not *S any more). If you flew more, you're the new silver. Just hover over your name on the top of the screen and see what it says behind 'tier'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.