Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Using M&B miles to upgrade *A partner flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using M&B miles to upgrade *A partner flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This may not be unusual - after all, there is no award availability in Y+ throughout *A, so it's difficult to imagine how you could ever work out the number of miles need to upgrade from a cabin that doesn't exist in redemption terms to the next one! In theory you could be regarded as just being in Y, but it looks like in practice this isn't possible.
Not that I would recommend A3 does this, but Flying Blue solved that conundrum by adapting the redemption rates such that an amount not dissimilar to what previously would have upgraded you from Economy to Business thenceforth became the amount necessary to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy; and another amount was introduced to become the amount required to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business Class.

On flights without Premium Economy, the amount required to upgrade from Economy to Business was effectively changed to be that amount which would have been necessary to upgrade to the non-existent Premium Economy, PLUS the amount needed to upgrade from that non-existent Premium Economy to Business.

Flying Blue. Generous by Nature!!!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It's likely, particularly in the case of SQ, that the airline is blocking upgrades rather than A3. SQ restricts its J/F award inventory on premium aircraft such as the A380, so this is probably just an extension of that.
I doubt it's all SQ's doing. Those restrictions are there, for sure, but other programmes do allow SOME upgrades on SQ.

Aegean, however, do not even publish ANY upgrade rates for Singapore. They simply don't allow you to upgrade, even on flights where another programme might.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
...They simply don't allow you to upgrade, even on flights where another programme might.
You write "They [i.e. A3] don't allow..."

But it could well be:

"They [i.e. SQ] simply don't allow you to upgrade, even on flights where members of another programme [i.e. non M&B] might be allowed."
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is of course possible; however, I think that is extremely unlikely.

It's quite a different prospect for SQ to prevent ANY upgrades from any one Star Alliance partner, such as A3, as you suggest here - in fact, I would expect that such behaviour would be against alliance rules, given that it discriminates against one particular FFP.

(There may be other Star Alliance FFPs that do not advertise upgrade rates for SQ - I do not know - but the same would apply to these).

It is, I feel, far more likely that Aegean themselves simply decided not to support upgrades on Singapore, for whatever reasons. So that the true situation would be that Aegean just chose not to pursue upgrades - NOT that they were excluded from pursing upgrades.

Miles and Bonus members can make redemptions on SQ, right? I see nothing anywhere on the website that suggests SQ cannot be booked as a redemption - it's just that they don't seem to offer upgrades on SQ.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:55 pm

I went through the t&c's. They list. Airlines on which m&b miles can be upgraded, sq is not mentioned in that list. In terms of redemptions, I admit I can't remember the exact terms, but I don't remember any such list of airlines or any specific exclusions, it seemed like standard star alliance redemptions to me.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:17 pm

Has anyone actually successfully used a SAUA using aegean miles? (Maybe I should start a new thread?) I am trying to decide which ffp to use going forward, and I'm not sure if I should stick with aegean if I can't use the miles! I fly long distances, but not very often, so I'd rather be able to get an upgrade(Air New Zealand would be great) rather than a redemption
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want an "SAUA" (whatever that is) on Air NZ, then you should collect miles on Air NZ.

FFPs generally tend to look after their own first; then look after others.

There is no point complaining about A3 as regards using miles on NZ - dictated mostly by NZ - if you don't do the logical thing, and collect with NZ. A3 upgrade coupons only work on A3/OA domestic flights so I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:04 pm

If you want an "SAUA" (whatever that is) on Air NZ, then you should collect miles on Air NZ.

FFPs generally tend to look after their own first; then look after others.

There is no point complaining about A3 as regards using miles on NZ - dictated mostly by NZ - if you don't do the logical thing, and collect with NZ. A3 upgrade coupons only work on A3/OA domestic flights so I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
Not complaining about the upgrade policy - not sure where you got that from. Just trying to figure it out. Has anyone actually gotten upgrades using Aegean miles?

In general, I'm trying to figure out where miles can be used, and which FFP to use. Aegean has some advantages (easy *G) but if the miles can't be redeemed (hence my questions) it might be better, as you mentioned, to just use another FFP.

A SAUA is a Star Alliance Upgrade Award.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
I doubt it's all SQ's doing. Those restrictions are there, for sure, but other programmes do allow SOME upgrades on SQ.

Aegean, however, do not even publish ANY upgrade rates for Singapore. They simply don't allow you to upgrade, even on flights where another programme might.
Please go find us any other FFP in *A that will upgrade you on SQ flights. They simply don't exist.

It's not that SQ "bans" anyone – they simply never release award upgrade inventory beyond their own FFP.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:57 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lensovet
Please go find us any other FFP in *A that will upgrade you on SQ flights. They simply don't exist.

It's not that SQ "bans" anyone – they simply never release award upgrade inventory beyond their own FFP.
SQ used to release some extra inventory - including A380 F - to LH group airlines a few years ago - it's why BD Diamond Club members (me included) benefitted for a while. There was probably a reciprocal arrangement with LH themselves, who had an equally prohibitive block on their F cabin.

I have no idea if they still do this, but it is certainly true that SQ only release their premium inventory to selected partners. If you want SQ J or F, they make you pay for it.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:46 pm

Where can I find the list of booking classes that are eligible for an A3 SAUA ? Looking at SWISS specifically.

Also slightly OT: I thought we could buy some miles in the new program, is this available?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:48 pm

charlesswe - I contacted Aegean to ask about purchasing miles, and they still haven't gotten back to me! I don't think miles purchases are available yet
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by charlesswe
Where can I find the list of booking classes that are eligible for an A3 SAUA ?
M&B T&C.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by charlesswe
I thought we could buy some miles in the new program, is this available?
Originally Posted by miss_tree
charlesswe - I contacted Aegean to ask about purchasing miles, and they still haven't gotten back to me! I don't think miles purchases are available yet
"Available soon" (rumours speak of the end of this month).

Snacky
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
M&B T&C.
got it, thanks.

The new website is craptacular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.