Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Earning MB miles on Singapore Airlines - possible changes to Semi-Flex, Flex & PE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning MB miles on Singapore Airlines - possible changes to Semi-Flex, Flex & PE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I believe K recently became a low fare as a number of other *A programs have recently cut K to 0%.
Swiss flights in K class will start earning 50% in UA FFP from March 1st (if ticket was issued by LH/LX).
Previously you did not earn anything.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:02 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Ladies and Gents

This thread is about earning on SQ K fares on Miles&Bonus - let's keep it to that topic please! Interesting though it is, earning on different airlines into different FFP's doesn't quite achieve that .

Thanks
NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles&Bonus
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The people were assuming that A3 might change the earning tables soon.
Because of that some people have contemplated what happened with K-class fare with other FFPs.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:35 am
Community Director

Being a very charitable person, I will assume there's been a misunderstanding with my message here - so please let me spell it out again.

Only flights on SQ metal, preferably in K class, have any relevance to this thread. Flights on other airlines, whatever the fare class (even if it's K) do not, because unfortunately they do not provide M&B members with any useful data points - particularly when credited to another FFP! The only similarity is that the fare bucket is K, which is not a common one in *A and consequently cannot in any way be cross-referenced to SQ's fare structure.

So, please, let's stick to the subject to avoid confusion. I've asked nicely, now I'm asking properly and formally, and I would gently remind members of rule 18 of the ToS:

Discussion Of Moderator Actions
Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.
If anyone has any doubts about this message, please feel free to take it up with the mod team in PM.

Thanks.

NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles&Bonus

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Feb 9, 2015 at 8:45 am
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
The people were assuming that A3 might change the earning tables soon.
Because of that some people have contemplated what happened with K-class fare with other FFPs.
Yes, A3 will be changing the chart soon for SQ K because SQ changed what type of fare SQ is. This isn't some kind of big award chart revamp like what's going on over at UA.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:22 am

SQ's old chart used to be like this for Economy class

SYBE (Flexi) MHWULK (Flexi Saver) NQTV (Sweet Deals) GX (Industry Rate)

Anything with flexi earned 100% and i guess thats what A3 are still thinking, about the old chart.

We now know S and T are now extracted from the whY charts to form SQ PE booking classes. That might be why the K class has been relegated to the lower fare bucket.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:52 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by lowjhg
SQ's old chart used to be like this for Economy class

SYBE (Flexi) MHWULK (Flexi Saver) NQTV (Sweet Deals) GX (Industry Rate)

Anything with flexi earned 100% and i guess thats what A3 are still thinking, about the old chart.

We now know S and T are now extracted from the whY charts to form SQ PE booking classes. That might be why the K class has been relegated to the lower fare bucket.
Now this is interesting - whilst fare buckets move fairly regularly in many airlines, usually to align to common codes across the Alliance, I hadn't considered that the change might be linked to SQ's introduction of PE.

If we assume that PE will earn at a minimum of 100% once SQ introduce it properly (not guaranteed, but not unreasonable - SQ does not have any zero earnings fare in C or F, so anything above Y is likely to earn), it's perfectly possible that someone could end up in a T bucket. Currently that earns zero on the A3 chart - so if it's a while until it's updated then there may be members who do not get any credit for their PE flights.

This is definitely a time to be careful when booking with SQ ...

[Mod mode]
In view of this expanded knowledge, I will amend the thread title to make it more obvious what direction this discussion may now take - i.e. the future earnings of SQ fares generally.
[/Mod mode]
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: BR Gold(*G), TK Elite(*G), OZ Gold(*S), QF Gold (ow sapphire), GF Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I concur as you are precisely right!
I have been trying to retro-claim for more than 3 months, when the retro-claim form was up 1 month ago on the new M&B site, I immediately filed a retro-claim online. 2 days ago, I received an email from a M&B representative:

"Regarding, the retro claim forms you submitted online through our website, an unsuccessful notification was received stating that, miles from the flights SQ0830 02DEC, SQ0335 22NOV, SQ0336 17NOV & SQ0831 17NOV, are already credited to another, requesting, Star Alliance Loyalty Program."

This is the famed SQ 'K' bucket - it looks like a lost cause as other *Alliance carriers have revised their mileage tables since Sep/Oct 2014 last year such that SQ 'K' class no longer accrues any miles, ie. from 100% --> 0%.

I've learned my lesson, no more SQ K class for me again.

Last edited by enchanted_boy; Feb 14, 2015 at 5:32 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:30 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by enchanted_boy
I have been trying to retro-claim for more than 3 months, when the retro-claim form was up 1 month ago on the new M&B site, I immediately filed a retro-claim online. 2 days ago, I received an email from a M&B representative:
"Regarding, the retro claim forms you submitted online through our website, an unsuccessful notification was received stating that, miles from the flights SQ0830 02DEC, SQ0335 22NOV, SQ0336 17NOV & SQ0831 17NOV, are already credited to another, requesting, Star Alliance Loyalty Program."

This is the famed SQ 'K' bucket - it looks like a lost cause as other *Alliance carriers have revised their mileage tables since Sep/Oct 2014 last year such that SQ 'K' class no longer accrues any miles, ie. from 100% --> 0%.

I've learned my lesson, no more SQ K class for me again.
enchanted_boy, welcome to FT and the A3 forum, and thank you for such an informative first post. Hopefully you'll contribute many more of them in the future.

It looks like SQ might automatically code K class to only credit to KrisFlyer, their own FFP, which is why A3 is reporting this back to you. Nonetheless, how could you possibly know this? You booked K class, intending to credit it only to A3, because the M&B earnings chart stated 100% earning, right?

So, assuming the miles couldn't possibly have routed elsewhere because your booking has only ever had your A3 number in and nothing else (there's no chance your BR number, from your profile, could have been in there at some point, is there?), I would be inclined to send this back to A3 to be looked at again. They're not saying, after all, that the class code is zero earning.

If you choose to do this, please do keep us informed of the outcome.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: BR Gold(*G), TK Elite(*G), OZ Gold(*S), QF Gold (ow sapphire), GF Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
enchanted_boy, welcome to FT and the A3 forum, and thank you for such an informative first post. Hopefully you'll contribute many more of them in the future.

It looks like SQ might automatically code K class to only credit to KrisFlyer, their own FFP, which is why A3 is reporting this back to you. Nonetheless, how could you possibly know this? You booked K class, intending to credit it only to A3, because the M&B earnings chart stated 100% earning, right?

So, assuming the miles couldn't possibly have routed elsewhere because your booking has only ever had your A3 number in and nothing else (there's no chance your BR number, from your profile, could have been in there at some point, is there?), I would be inclined to send this back to A3 to be looked at again. They're not saying, after all, that the class code is zero earning.

If you choose to do this, please do keep us informed of the outcome.
NWIFlyer Thanks for the warm welcome, I've been a fan of FT for years, just that I never really had a need to post my own experiences.

The situation is exactly as you described, I specifically booked 'K' class and registered M&B as my ffp, precisely because A3 was the only carrier to offer 100% earning and this particular routing PVG-SIN-CDG-SIN-PVG would easily push me past Gold status pre-Nov 24 (under the old M&B structure). If I've known what hassle it would cause me, I would've simply booked 1 or 2 fare classes higher (SQ 'W' class or 'M' class) for less than USD100 more and credit 100% earning to any *Alliance program of my choosing.

I think A3's earning table for SQ is out of date, which is why I am having these issues. If you look at A3's accrual for SQ 'U' class (used to be Econ, now is discounted Biz class since 1 Sep 2014) - it remains at 100%, while other *A carriers like BR or OZ have revised 'U' class from 100% to 125% starting in Q4.

So caveat emptor - if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is!

Still despite these issues with A3, I concur with other FT members that A3 does provide a pretty high level of customer service. I told them that I was disappointed with this initial outcome of their investigation as it still leaves me into the dark on how I can claim my missing miles.

They responded very quickly:

"Further to our communication and regarding, the retro claim for the flights SQ0830 02DEC, SQ0335 22NOV, SQ0336 17NOV & SQ0831 17NOV, we would like to inform you that the operating carrier did not authorize the mileage credit giving the information that are already credited to another, requesting, Star Alliance Loyalty Program.

Please forward us a scanned copy of the boarding card, so as to investigate it further.

We would be very pleased if you choose Miles&Bonus for your future flights."

It restores my faith in A3 customer service - with ffp mileage devaluation (think UA/CO, DL etc.), I think customer service is very important in deciding which ffp I would be crediting my next *A flight to.

I have submitted my scanned boarding passes showing my A3 ffp number - will update the outcome as I hear from A3.

Last edited by enchanted_boy; Feb 14, 2015 at 5:35 am
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by enchanted_boy
NWIFlyer Thanks for the warm welcome, I've been a fan of FT for years, just that I never really had a need to post my own experiences.

The situation is exactly as you described, I specifically booked 'K' class and registered M&B as my ffp, precisely because A3 was the only carrier to offer 100% earning and this particular routing PVG-SIN-CDG-SIN-PVG would easily push me past Gold status pre-Nov 24 (under the old M&B structure). If I've known what hassle it would cause me, I would've simply booked 1 or 2 fare classes higher (SQ 'W' class or 'M' class) for less than USD100 more and credit 100% earning to any *Alliance program of my choosing.

I think A3's earning table for SQ is out of date, which is why I am having these issues. If you look at A3's accrual for SQ 'U' class (used to be Econ, now is discounted Biz class since 1 Sep 2014) - it remains at 100%, while other *A carriers like BR or OZ have revised 'U' class from 100% to 125% starting in Q4.

So caveat emptor - if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is!

Still despite these issues with A3, I concur with other FT members that A3 does provide a pretty high level of customer service. I told them that I was disappointed with this initial outcome of their investigation as it still leaves me into the dark on how I can claim my missing miles.

They responded very quickly:

"Further to our communication and regarding, the retro claim for the flights SQ0830 02DEC, SQ0335 22NOV, SQ0336 17NOV & SQ0831 17NOV, we would like to inform you that the operating carrier did not authorize the mileage credit giving the information that are already credited to another, requesting, Star Alliance Loyalty Program.

Please forward us a scanned copy of the boarding card, so as to investigate it further.

We would be very pleased if you choose Miles&Bonus for your future flights."

It restores my faith in A3 customer service - with ffp mileage devaluation (think UA/CO, DL etc.), I think customer service is very important in deciding which ffp I would be crediting my next *A flight to.

I have submitted my scanned boarding passes showing my A3 ffp number - will update the outcome as I hear from A3.
I agree that A3 has very good customer service compare to my other *A FFP (AP), and I wish you will get your miles back soon!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jma12
I agree that A3 has very good customer service compare to my other *A FFP (AP), and I wish you will get your miles back soon!
Thanks Jma12, there is some progress after I submitted scans of my boarding passes showing my A3 FFP number (only 2 boarding passes with me, out of the 4 segments I flew). Again, good customer service from A3!

16/02/2015

Dear Mr. XXX

Further to our communication and regarding the retro claim for the flight SQ0335 22NOV, SQ0336 17NOV, kindly be informed that we have already contacted internally the airline operating carrier, so as to investigate it further. Please, be so kind to recheck your Miles&Bonus account in 20 days, approximately.

We would be very pleased if you choose Miles & Bonus for your future flights.

Yours Sincerely,
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold: A3, AB, AZ
In my case I hadn't heard any news from Aegean for a while and decided to call them.

Regarding my first flight Aegean stated that Singapore told them that they couldn't find my name in their system. I offered to email the boarding pass and they agreed.

Regarding my second flight Aegean asked me to refile the retro claim since I hadn't waited 14 days between flight and claim and therefore the claim would not pursued. I did refile that claim with a change in date (one day).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold: A3, AB, AZ
I recieved another negative answer. This time Aegean refers to a new Earning Chart that must have been uploaded in the past couple of days and includes K now as a non earning booking class.

At the time of booking the flights, taking the flights and filing the retro claim, the new earning chart for SQ flights was not yet uploaded.

Is there a way to find out when they actually changed it? Are they able to change earning charts "backwards"?

Edit: Did anyone take a screenshot in the past couple of weeks?

Last edited by t566; Apr 2, 2015 at 9:52 am
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by t566
Is there a way to find out when they actually changed it? Are they able to change earning charts "backwards"?

Edit: Did anyone take a screenshot in the past couple of weeks?
Hi t566, I happen to have copied down the old A3 earning chart for Singapore Airlines (I needed to have it handy while comparing flights), before they changed it on 01/01/2015 (as per their website).

Here it is:
  • R: 160%
  • F P A: 150%
  • C D Z J: 125%
  • S Y B E M H W U L K: 100%
  • O I X N G Q T V: no accrual

Hope it helps!

T.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.