Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as Waitlisted.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDobber
Hi,

How is the best way to upgrade an London-Athens-Abu Dhabi?

LON-ATH is straightforward but the ATH-AUH leg is operated by EY on an A3 flight number.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Andy
A3 Upgrades are only valid on A3 metal so you can't upgrade ATH-AUH operated by EY regardless of the flight number it is sold as.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
So I guess its a LON-ATH upgrade on one ticket then a separate ATH-AUH in J unless I can find a better J fare on Star Alliance from Athens.

Cheers
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by FlyingDobber
Hi,

How is the best way to upgrade an London-Athens-Abu Dhabi?

LON-ATH is straightforward but the ATH-AUH leg is operated by EY on an A3 flight number.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Andy
I don't believe there is any way you can upgrade the ATH-AUH. It's not on A3 so you can't do it with a voucher or points within their program and EY is not part of Star Alliance so you can't do it as a *A upgrade either. I guess the only way would be via One World if you're also a member there.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I don't believe there is any way you can upgrade the ATH-AUH. It's not on A3 so you can't do it with a voucher or points within their program and EY is not part of Star Alliance so you can't do it as a *A upgrade either. I guess the only way would be via One World if you're also a member there.
EY isn't a member of OneWorld so no dice there either. They do align closely to Alitalia and AirBerlin though so there may be options to upgrade using points from those carriers. The other option would be to look at EY's own programme of course.

Failing that you might be able to do a paid upgrade at the airport if you're not able to secure a paid upgrade ahead of time.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to use it for the baggage allowance as I need to move from LON to AUH. with *G on A3 upgrade we would get 96kg each? 2x32kg for C and 1x32kg for A3 *G

If I booked C on A3 site (operated by EY would i still get this allowance?)

Thanks
Andy
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by lky
The have regularly upgraded T class Go Light tickets for me using coupons ....
Me too, but the rules changed around 6 months ago

So these days absolutely no T Go Light upgrades?

I'm trying to book a flight to ATH and back. Outbound shows L which would be upgradeable, but coming back is T.

How do I book a higher fare bucket without paying for Flex?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by lsed
So these days absolutely no T Go Light upgrades?
Unfortunately, that's correct.

I'm trying to book a flight to ATH and back. Outbound shows L which would be upgradeable, but coming back is T.

How do I book a higher fare bucket without paying for Flex?
You can contact with the Aegean call centre and book a higher fare bucket ticket. However, this option entails 20 € fee (plus the fare bucket difference).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by Argyris
Unfortunately, that's correct.

You can contact with the Aegean call centre and book a higher fare bucket ticket. However, this option entails 20 fee (plus the fare bucket difference).

Thanks, looks like best option would be to book via A3 website and choose the flex fare then.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:59 am

Thanks, looks like best option would be to book via A3 website and choose the flex fare then.
Careful: you may book the higher fare class, but then you find out that there is no upgrade inventory available...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Careful: you may book the higher fare class, but then you find out that there is no upgrade inventory available...

Booking class 'I' is available for my flight. However I realized you can't add a Flex to just one segment, it has to be for both flights if you do a roundtrip and that significantly bumps the cost up.

If I don't do a roundtrip then two one ways also cost more.

So phoning in is probably better.

Based on Expertflyer, to go from booking class TNOBAGD to SNOBAGD it's just 20 USD more for my flight, and booking class S earns 100% miles
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:46 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Booking class 'I' is available for my flight. However I realized you can't add a Flex to just one segment, it has to be for both flights if you do a roundtrip and that significantly bumps the cost up.

If I don't do a roundtrip then two one ways also cost more.

So phoning in is probably better.

Based on Expertflyer, to go from booking class TNOBAGD to SNOBAGD it's just 20 USD more for my flight, and booking class S earns 100% miles
Plus there will be phone booking fees.
Is the price difference between roundtrip vs two singles that high? I often buy singles and have never seen more than a few euros price difference? (sometimes the singles are even cheaper)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Plus there will be phone booking fees.
Is the price difference between roundtrip vs two singles that high? I often buy singles and have never seen more than a few euros price difference? (sometimes the singles are even cheaper)
I ALWAYS buy singles and, for me, there has NEVER been any fare difference (maybe other that due to currency rates as I often fly to non-euro countries).

So.. I would book the outbound L fare and wait on booking the return until the cheapest upgradeable fare becomes available (S class) or book a Flex for the return. But, as the return currently on offer is already T class, then S is the next bucket and the fare will typically be about 30 Euro more, so that's probably cheaper than booking flex.

Another trick, if you don't want to wait until S shows up on it's own, is to make a dummy booking in a second browser window to tie-up those T class seats (maybe for 4 or 5 people) and then see if you can get a S fare in your other session. It's a bit fiddly buy at least then you won't have to remember to keep checking back and risk missing S class.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Apr 28, 2017 at 4:33 am
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Another trick, if you don't want to wait until S shows up on it's own, is to make a dummy booking in a second browser window to tie-up those T class seats (maybe for 4 or 5 people) and then see if you can get a S fare in your other session. It's a bit fiddly buy at least then you won't have to remember to keep checking back and risk missing S class.
I know it's possible to sometimes 'tie up' particular fare classes with online travel agents' sites, but do you do this on Aegean's?

If so, to 'tie up' the fares do you have to proceed through to the payment page or is it enough to just do it with the initial searches?

It's really rather clever and I hadn't thought of this option. ^
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:47 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
I know it's possible to sometimes 'tie up' particular fare classes with online travel agents' sites, but do you do this on Aegean's?

If so, to 'tie up' the fares do you have to proceed through to the payment page or is it enough to just do it with the initial searches?

It's really rather clever and I hadn't thought of this option. ^
I suspect that you will have to go through the process until the payment page - that ensures that the reservation was made. It will be canceled after 30 minutes or so of no payment.

One thing to keep in mind is that when making group bookings all tickets in the booking will have to be in the same bucket. So if currently tickets are available in U, and you would like to purchase S class, you will have to create a temp-booking containing exactly the number of available U tickets, one with exactly the number of T tickets, and then the next (single) booking should be in S.

This is kind of tricky though as group bookings have a maximum of 8 - so you may actually have to make multiple of these group bookings to 'fill up' everything until your desired booking class.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Don't know if this is something new but just looked at the upgrade voucher T&C:

"The member is required to have a valid and paid Economy Class ticket with confirmed reservation either with Aegean as the validating carrier (stock number 390) or with Olympic Air as the validating carrier (stock number 050)."

I thought that it was before only with A3 issued tickets, but now seems to be also for OA. Or maybe I remember it wrongly..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.