Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:51 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by benberg2013
You don't mean to say that they send out actual coupons...
They are just online coupons...
No, there's nothing physical. You just have to imagine the extra sheen on the Gold versions
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So recently I booked AMS-MUC-ATH-ZRH-AMS through lufthansa, partly operated by Aegean. However, unfortunately, I was not able to upgrade the Aegean part since the ticket was issued on LH stock.

Today I thought to try again. I booked AMS-VIE ATH-AMS as open-jaw with KLM. Then VIE-ATH with Aegean as a cheap one-way. Called to upgrade and the lady only needed the PNR number. The coupon was taken from my account and I received a new e-ticket in about 10 minutes. Class I and 3 pieces of luggage (2 for business class and 1 due to status). No tax (re) calculation. Total cost of the itinerary: About 35 euro less than an all-KLM itinerary.

The only downside to such construction with two tickets is that the first flight better not be delayed. I'll have 2h20 in VIE to transfer. If last week's flights can serve as an example the KLM flight uses the same (C) gates as Aegean does in VIE. Also arriving and departing pax are mixed in VIE if I remember correctly. In any case it is the first KL flight of the day departing from AMS before 7AM, so chances for delay are minimal.

Last edited by Xandrios; Mar 29, 2015 at 5:07 am
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: A3*G, OW Sapphire, IHG Diamond Amb
I booked two roundtrips BRU-ATH-RHO (2 pax) and successfully used 4 upgrade vouches to upgrade the international segments for both pax.

The call took about 10 minutes, and the agent did not charge extra taxes. Thanks for the info guys.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade only one leg out of a two-leg journey (CHQ-ATH-BUD)? (as it makes no sense to waste an upgrade on CHQ-ATH)

As also a friend with A3*S is travelling this route soon, how would such an upgrade work with luggage policy for her with only one flight in business? You get the extra allowance also on the short hop flight in economy? If not, how is this actually if you want to upgrade CHQ-ATH-BUD but the first leg is on an all-economy OA turbuprop?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade only one leg out of a two-leg journey (CHQ-ATH-BUD)? (as it makes no sense to waste an upgrade on CHQ-ATH)
Yes it is. Just make sure it's clear to the agent that you want to upgrade one segment only.

As also a friend with A3*S is travelling this route soon, how would such an upgrade work with luggage policy for her with only one flight in business? You get the extra allowance also on the short hop flight in economy? If not, how is this actually if you want to upgrade CHQ-ATH-BUD but the first leg is on an all-economy OA turbuprop?
I think in theory you get the extra allowance for the upgraded flight only. However, I did what you intend to do - I upgraded only the international flight and stayed in Y for the short domestic hop (ATH-SKG in my case). The online boarding pass clearly stated 3 bags (2 for C + 1 for A3*G) for both legs. (It was specifically mentioned under each flight on the BP "3 bags"). However, I can't tell you how that works in practice as I was travelling with handbagge only.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: A3 *G
If not, how is this actually if you want to upgrade CHQ-ATH-BUD but the first leg is on an all-economy OA turbuprop?
I imagine you'd get the extra bag for both legs, as suggested above although I guess, if not, you could just pay for a bag on that sector (I believe it's 17 Euro for a domestic one way). Note though that all the CHQ flights are currently on A3 metal WITH C class.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I imagine you'd get the extra bag for both legs, as suggested above although I guess, if not, you could just pay for a bag on that sector (I believe it's 17 Euro for a domestic one way). Note though that all the CHQ flights are currently on A3 metal WITH C class.
I upgraded a friend flying JMK-ATH-TLV , first leg with OA turboprop, second with A3, I upgraded second leg only, he was given 2 suitcases for first leg aswell.
(BTW no extra taxes were charged for the upgrade)
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:40 pm

Thanks for the replies all!

Does anyone has btw have issues calling A3 (+30 210 6261000) through Skype? The call drops out after exactly 10 minutes each time - or does this, and the unusually long waiting time - perhaps have to do with the hour of the night? (1:30 GMT+2)

I never had any problems getting through very quickly when calling with my Greek mobile number, but as I'm out of credits and currently abroad - calling them as cheaply as possible online is much preferred above calling them with my other simcard
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AB Gold
No miles credited

I flew my four segments one week ago now but still none of them have credited. LHR-ATH-SKG-ATH-CPH.

All four sectors were upgraded with coupons.

Apologies if I have missed this, but I couldn't find any mention in the thread. Is it a known issue for coupon upgrade flights not to post?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, it is a known issue. Actually mentioned in wiki above. In short, some times retro claim using old numbers work, sometimes calling to retro claim works.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:40 am

As for a small update regarding some problems calling A3 through Skype:

I had no problems with that today (after 3 minutes I got a human on the line). Guess the waiting time is much longer at nights or they aren't really 24/7 reachable for calls at night even if they write so.

But it was very swift today at 1PM GMT+2. The whole process of upgrading my flight took only a mere 6 minutes. Try that when you have to reach the likes of the Alitalia helpdesk
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:26 am

...Guess the waiting time is much longer at nights or they aren't really 24/7 reachable for calls at night even if they write so...
I assume that the times indicated are Greek time; the info was copy/pasted from their site (Italicized by me):

Reservations Department:
Within Greece
Tel: 801 11 20000
Fax: +30 210 6261911

From a mobile phone/abroad
Tel.: +30 210 6261000
The reservations department can be reached daily, 24 hours a day.

Customer Relations Department:
Fax: +30 210 6261941

Email: [email protected]

Aegean Customer Relations Department personnel will be more than happy to assist you on a daily basis 09:00 – 17:00 , Monday to Friday (except from Public Holidays).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:53 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
[mod hat]
All, I've deleted a couple of posts which related solely to opinions on the best way to contact A3, which was leading this thread somewhat off-topic following the informational post about who and when best to call to deal with upgrades.

Perhaps you'd all be so kind as to concentrate on the task in hand ...

Thanks
[/mod hat]
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
stan64, my apologies for such a delayed welcome to FT and the A3 forum. Hopefully this is the first of many contributions from you.

In answer to your question, there is no reason why companion fares would not qualify for upgrade - they book and credit into normal fare buckets.

However, bear in mind that companion fares are only available on domestic routes, so the upgrade benefit is absolutely tiny - on a 50 minute flight, a Business Class meal consists of a very small snack presented on china and a minature bottle of wine of the standard provided in international Y at best.
Thanks, NWIFlyer. I've succeeded in using the companion voucher and also upgraded 4 legs. The agent was actually telling me the same, it does not make a lot of sense to use the vouchers on the domestic flights. However, as I have no further flights on Aegean metal, I don't kow what else I could use them for.

Cheers
stan64
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Adding my experience. Was charged a seemingly arbitrary amount of EUR 7 and change for the additional taxes of Business Class. The agent said it was for LHR, but I'm flying inbound into LHR. Are they supposed to levy taxes for inbound premium cabin pax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.