Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

YQ and YR charges on AC with Miles and Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
Does anyone know how much does Miles and Bonus charge on fuel, taxes etc. (in %) on Star Alliance award tickets?
I am planning to spend my miles on a one-way ticket from YXE to YYC with AC

Thank you!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by mateosngvt
Hello,
Does anyone know how much does Miles and Bonus charge on fuel, taxes etc. (in %) on Star Alliance award tickets?

Thank you!
A3 will just charge as much as the operating carrier (AC) will charge YR or YQ and the country (Canada) will charge taxes for this flight...
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Originally Posted by mateosngvt
Hello,

Thank you!
A3 will just charge as much as the operating carrier (AC) will charge YR or YQ and the country (Canada) will charge taxes for this flight...
Right, but there's an important distinction here: AC charges YQ on award but not revenue tickets on AC metal booked through Aeroplan, so which set of fees would someone using Miles and Bonus be charged ?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Right, but there's an important distinction here: AC charges YQ on award but not revenue tickets on AC metal booked through Aeroplan, so which set of fees would someone using Miles and Bonus be charged ?
Back to OP's question. Yes AC charges YQ for domestic flights, and it seems like there are no YQ for Int'l flights.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
Originally Posted by Jma12
Back to OP's question. Yes AC charges YQ for domestic flights, and it seems like there are no YQ for Int'l flights.
According ITA Matrix, there is no YQ charged on a paid ticket on AC. I would take that as reference for the issuance of awards trough A3 as the reservation system don't quote any YQ... IF Aeroplan charges a YQ on it's awards, it must be a special agreement...

Code:
Fare 1: Carrier AC G10ZTPA YXE to YYC (rules).................CA$223.00
Canadian Goods and Services Tax (XG)..........................CA$12.51
Saskatoon Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)........................CA$20.00
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA)...................CA$7.12
The green colored taxes need to be charged. The red one is the Canadian GST and it's a procentage of the fare paid. As the award (cash-) fare is 0, this tax should not be charged... But it often happens, that A3 tries to charge it...

More information about A3 award redemption in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...l#post23848276
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
According ITA Matrix, there is no YQ charged on a paid ticket on AC. I would take that as reference for the issuance of awards trough A3 as the reservation system don't quote any YQ... IF Aeroplan charges a YQ on it's awards, it must be a special agreement...

Code:
The green colored taxes need to be charged. The red one is the Canadian GST and it's a procentage of the fare paid. As the award (cash-) fare is 0, this tax should not be charged... But it often happens, that A3 tries to charge it...

More information about A3 award redemption in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...l#post23848276
Hmm..Are you saying that A3 will charge HST/GST on its rewards, but then not remit the tax to the Canadian Government? If so, that's a problem. It's not the kind of tax that the airlines are allowed to keep.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jcamp028
Hmm..Are you saying that A3 will charge HST/GST on its rewards, but then not remit the tax to the Canadian Government? If so, that's a problem. It's not the kind of tax that the airlines are allowed to keep.
Yes, there are plenty of reports... As here, from post #4 on:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...-aegean-g.html
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:33 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Well, actually it's a mistake to charge it. It happens because some systems regard a fully flexible redemption as a top priced ticket, so the tax is based on what would be a very expensive revenue fare.

Eventually, after much arguing, you will find that there is no tax due because the real ticket value is zero, so the erroneous tax will either not be collected or be refunded. Either way there's nothing dupe to the Canadian Government.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It happens because some systems regard a fully flexible redemption as a top priced ticket, so the tax is based on what would be a very expensive revenue fare.
No, that's not true. The CRS can't quote an award ticket, because it won't find any fares that need to be booked in X, I or O-cl. Therefore, the agent needs to 'force' a fare that the CRS quotes all charges and taxes for the routing booked. And as the fullfares display at the top of the list and usually have a short fare base (YR vs. LXPM7DH), the higher fare is usually taken to force the quotation.

That's why they always try to charge wrongly a very high XG-Tax on flights in Canada or US-Tax in the USA... It makes a huge difference if they charge you 5% of 0.- or 5% of 2000.-...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:28 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
No, that's not true. The CRS can't quote an award ticket, because it won't find any fares that need to be booked in X, I or O-cl. Therefore, the agent needs to 'force' a fare that the CRS quotes all charges and taxes for the routing booked. And as the fullfares display at the top of the list and usually have a short fare base (YR vs. LXPM7DH), the higher fare is usually taken to force the quotation.

That's why they always try to charge wrongly a very high XG-Tax on flights in Canada or US-Tax in the USA... It makes a huge difference if they charge you 5% of 0.- or 5% of 2000.-...
Well, I meant system in the broad sense of how the fare has to be forced, but you've provided more detail. In the end, it makes no difference to the person booking the redemption - it still needs to be disputed! It's amazing this hasn't been corrected - it's been a problem across multiple FFP's for many years.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond

Code:

I just search YYZ-CDG on ITA Matrix, and it looks like there is YQ for TATL flight:

AC YQ surcharge (YQ) CA$476.00
Toronto Airport Improvement Fee (SQ) CA$25.00
Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax (ON) (RC) CA$3.25
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA) CA$25.91
French Aviation Civile Tax (FR) CA$11.40
French International Passenger Service Charge (QX) CA$41.40
French Airport Tax (FR) CA$18.60
French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) CA$6.60

I guess there is a special agreement between A3 and AC. That's good news for us Canadians!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:36 am

Are the taxes on an air canada domestic award $

Are they charging some high figure based on the national sales tax for Canada to canada awards on air canada? If so, is there a way to get the agents to override the figure that their computer is telling them?
Thank you
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:05 pm

There are plenty reports about... Just have a look to this thread here...

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Dec 5, 2014 at 4:34 pm Reason: Edit after post was merged to this thread here
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:32 pm

I'm not sure that the GST/HST charge is a mistake. Even WestJet, the Canadian non-alliance-carrier, charges tax on their own reward tickets. They claim that this is required by law in Canada. I don't think it makes sense, but then again that is not necessarily an applicable standard when it comes to tax laws.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
A nice agent found YYZ-PTY-HAV very quickly on CM.... but the taxes came out to €244... Which is ridiculous...

Any ideas why the "taxes" are so high? Are they including Canadian HST as calculateed on a revenue ticket?

YYZ-PTY on AC, and then CM

Edit: Next agent quoted €208.... €56 YQ (which is consistent with YYZ-PTY revenue).. €20 booking fee.... about €40 govt taxes, still over €100 unaccounted for .. she said there is no XG...

*sigh*

so much for this, I'll just book Westjet YYZ-VRA for CAD285 and take Viazul to HAV.

Last edited by rankourabu; Jan 31, 2015 at 9:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.