Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean Gold Americans

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by flyer05
Regarding those upgrade certificates: do we know yet which economy fare classes we can use them on? Y and B only, any others, or all of them?
see, dont just look
http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en/#faq
Seat Upgrade is allowed only for Flex revenue fare category to Business Class.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:53 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kanor
This only refers to upgrades with miles, not the upgrade certs.

I still don't think we know how this will work ... and probably won't until someone tries!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This only refers to upgrades with miles, not the upgrade certs.

I still don't think we know how this will work ... and probably won't until someone tries!
Yup the FAQ question is related to mileage upgrade, but its uses the general term "Seat Upgrade", and they dont refer to the certs as "cert", but "Seat Ugprades". So I see no reason or indication that cert or mile ugprade should have any difference.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
I'm guessing most of you guys are leaving Aegean... what frequent flyer program are you guys joining?
Not leaving.

My typical biz travel is 15k-ish per year on UA. Lots of 500-mile hops. I figure adding an A fare or two per year is do-able. I'd rather be partner *G than native Premier Silver. Silvers rarely get upgraded on UA, and lounge agents are always happy to assign E+ to a *G. Bag allowance is the same either way.

If I were up in the 50k range, it would be more tempting to get the native status on UA and leave A3 behind. But at the "barely Silver otherwise" level, A3 is still the way to go.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I called Aegean about this and they said the only two fares that would NOT be eligible for upgrades would be U, P or T.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I called Aegean about this and they said the only two fares that would NOT be eligible for upgrades would be U, P or T.
That is three...lol
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pinniped
Not leaving.

My typical biz travel is 15k-ish per year on UA. Lots of 500-mile hops. I figure adding an A fare or two per year is do-able. I'd rather be partner *G than native Premier Silver. Silvers rarely get upgraded on UA, and lounge agents are always happy to assign E+ to a *G. Bag allowance is the same either way.

If I were up in the 50k range, it would be more tempting to get the native status on UA and leave A3 behind. But at the "barely Silver otherwise" level, A3 is still the way to go.
I'm surprised you have such good E+ outcomes on UA as an A3*G.

Maybe I should again try this E+ inquiry stuff at the UA clubs. I had stopped trying this after being repeatedly told (during the dying days of BD*G) that there was nothing they could do for partner*Gs unless I was willing to pay up.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yep...definitely works best in the lounge. Counter agents want you to pay. The kiosks (of course) want you to pay. Gate agents are 50/50 if you see an open E+ seat after they've processed upgrades. Lounge agents work best.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:34 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yep...definitely works best in the lounge.
+1

My u/g success is also about 50%.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:58 pm

Interesting.... I think about staying but then I think I would lose 24K of redeemable miles on UA so.. I'm not sure what to do. Either focus all accrual of redeemable UA miles off of credit cards and credit flights to A3 just for *G, or just abandon A3 all together so I can accrue miles. All of my biz flights are 500 mile hops... peanuts. To be honest I get lounge access from other programs like PP and AA, not like we're missing anything here in the U.S with the UA lounges. If you fly international *A on the other hand.... totally different story.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
So you phoned for something that is on the website, great, no wonder the customer reps are overwhelmed with the "I flew 10 minutes ago, WHEREAREMYMILES?" and other people.

http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-infor...ked-questions/
13. Is Seat Upgrade Award available on both Economy Class fare category (Go Light – Flex)?

Yes. Miles&Bonus members, in order to get upgraded, are required to have a valid and paid Economy Class ticket with confirmed reservation, on the following booking classes (domestic and international): Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W, O, L, K, S, J, irrespective of fare category.
However these are the old rules, the ones that were not refined for the golight/flex separation when they introduced those a year ago.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
I have op-uped to E+ about 75% of the time when there is an open E+ seat.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
12k miles + 4 A3 flights for *G is really good.

However, if you fly around 30-35 k miles a year on LH and you are on cheap fares you could be better maybe with UA (because these fare do not earn on A3 sometimes or earn only 50%) which still can be used to book nice awards vs miles in A3 where you cannot get cheap awards.

Still thinking that maybe
1.having miles consolidated in UA,
2 flying cheap LH fares sometimes which gets 100% miles in UA still
3. maybe buy the neccesary miles for *G
4. one short MR to get closed to 50k
would be enough to make me stay with UA instead of A3.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Interesting.... I think about staying but then I think I would lose 24K of redeemable miles on UA so...
But you'd gain some level of A3 redeemable miles. I don't intend to just orphan my A3 miles: I'll probably redeem small chunks at a time...U.S./Canada transborder flights, for example.

The 50% earnings will hurt some; the 500-mile minimum will help others. Just depends on what routes you fly and what fare buckets you tend to buy.

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
4. one short MR to get closed to 50k
Indeed, if you think you can get that close on whatever your native metal is, then I'd probably go for it and leave A3 behind.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I have commonly T;L;S fares on LH which do not earn on A3 except the S fare.or cheapest possible on UA so that works difficult with A3.

I also think that next year on UA there will be less elites after the changes to elite earning ways and I hope to see better prices for PQM there or even offers to buy up to gold for less.
If I fail then maybe getting to UA silver and a Priority Pass subscription for lounge access will get me there cheaper.

As every FFP is getting more difficult and will less perks, there will be less and less loyalty interes,less elites and eventually they will need to start to motivate their clients somehow. I see all this as a cycle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.