Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
The WIKI has been moved to the "New Program Details for M&B"-thread".
Print Wikipost

Lifetime *G coming to an end? [rumor]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I qualified for *S and subsequently for *G in 2012 and didn't credit anything in 2013 but did credit 2 SAS flights this year to keep the account current.

I never used the card for its benefits and credit elsewhere except on few intra-European flights on LH that were booked in K and L and earned nothing in other FFPs but Miles&More. It just saved me the trouble of requesting missing mileage credit later on.

I also have *G status through United and Turkish. I decided to drop United due to the changes they implemented starting next year. If A3 implements a metal requirement and requires requalification every year with United's 50% earnings on most Economy fares, then I will move to Turkish and use Asiana as my backup.

I've never thought that once you reached a certain level in a FFP and can't get to the next tier or one doesn't exist, one should continue crediting to that program. I've always credited to another program but didn't use the benefits from another FFP.

I find the TK's program in its current state very attractive - 40,000 miles for initial qualification and 25,000 per year thereafter or 37,500 every 2 years with the option to purchase up to 10,000 status miles for a reasonable price. So, essentially, TK's requirements are very attractive, especially when you keep in mind that United's economy earnings are 100% except for booking class N.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:35 am

My info say that all gold members will keep their status (at least for a year) but all current gold members will need to fly 12k miles (4 A3/OA flights incl.) to keep it for the next one.

Also, the silver status will not be for granted and 8k miles (2 A3/OA flights incl.) will be needed to keep it!

When the program launches there will be an adjustment of current tier miles.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Could this be pressure from other *A members?

If A3 implements 4 sectors to qualify for status, they would be the first in *A?

Correct me if I am wrong..
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:32 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by tycosiao
If A3 implements 4 sectors to qualify for status, they would be the first in *A?

Correct me if I am wrong..
You are wrong .

UA also has a minimum metal requirement from 2015:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx

AC already has a segment or minimum mileage requirement on AC metal - 5 segments/10k miles:
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/overview

AV has a minimum mileage requirement (10k) for *G status:
https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbelitab.aspx

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 23, 2014 at 3:38 am Reason: Add AV link
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Well, you can still get *G if you fly 24k on other *A airline. We still have to wait until end of the month for the official announcement from A3.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:29 am

Lifetime *G coming to an end?

It's only fair if they give full miles for discounted fare classes if they were to increase the requirement.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
One trip to the west coast USA and an A3 sector run from MAN. Not too much to ask for *G?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: Topbonus, Miles&Bonus, Miles&Less
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
My info say that all gold members will keep their status (at least for a year) but all current gold members will need to fly 12k miles (4 A3/OA flights incl.) to keep it for the next one.

Also, the silver status will not be for granted and 8k miles (2 A3/OA flights incl.) will be needed to keep it!

When the program launches there will be an adjustment of current tier miles.
The 4 A3/OA Segment + 12k miles requirement is fortunately not terribly difficult. At least from Germany I can easily book a 4 segment flight with A3 for 233€, leaving the remaining 9k miles to be collected somehow differently.

9k + 233€ is absolutely not terribly difficult for *G. BUT, given TK's better redemption abilities, I will have to think very hard about TK's program.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:28 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by jrey
It's only fair if they give full miles for discounted fare classes if they were to increase the requirement.
This is simply not going to happen, because for lots of people it'll make it much easier to qualify initially - meaning, for NA travel, 24k real miles in the air rather than around 46k (38k currently) assuming all discounted Y on NA carriers (leaving aside the 500 mile UA minimum).

Don't forget that A3 also has to pay out for those miles on redemption, but they'll still only be paid the same amount for them when awarded - which would mean redemption values would have to increase dramatically as well, leaving all existing miles in accounts significantly devalued.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:51 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by dio1982
The 4 A3/OA Segment + 12k miles requirement is fortunately not terribly difficult. At least from Germany I can easily book a 4 segment flight with A3 for 233€, leaving the remaining 9k miles to be collected somehow differently.

9k + 233€ is absolutely not terribly difficult for *G. BUT, given TK's better redemption abilities, I will have to think very hard about TK's program.
I think you may be in a more fortunate position in Germany - it would be difficult (probably impossible) to find 4 sectors for the £180 equivalent out of the UK. Over double that (still not a fortune, granted) is much more likely. For example, LON-LCA in January (hardly a peak time to visit) would be £400 in flex to earn the 4k miles, with GoLight not too much less.

The difficulty with TK (and what remains in A3's favour) is that miles expire after 3 years making C & F long-haul redemptions off the back of low earning base tricky.

There are things that A3 could do to sweeten this a little and make people more likely to fly on their metal - like an additional Gold bonus for flying on A3/OA, or free upgrade vouchers subject to space availability (BD used to do both). Currently, if you're going to hit the minimum of what we assume will be 24k anyway, there's no great incentive to take A3 to ATH over any other Star airline. If the object of the lower qualifying mileage coupled with group segments is to try to incentivise more people onto A3 metal, then they need to look at the benefits as a whole to encourage a greater demographic of M&B members to do just that.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
24k ist still ridiculous low.
Why would anybody need *G if you can't reach this low amount a year?
Reality check: think about those of us flying s/h discount Y ...

24k status miles/year would require 96 return flights/year (booked eg in K) if we were earning status via another well-known *A programme. That's a reasonable amount of flying.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Does anyone know if the "4 Aegean/Olympic flights+12,000 miles or 24,000 miles per year" will also be the initial qualification requirement for Gold, or just the re-qualification one? Anyone has any info when the changes will take effect?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:02 am

4OA/A3+12k, or 24k is for keeping gold.

For (initial) gold you have to earn 24000k+4OA/A3 or 48k.

I think that there will also be changes in mileage credit. Accrual will be implemented, but still with % depending on fare value. I think that accrual will also be implemented on redeeming.

End of November will be the "launch date".
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Ok, great, I am about to qualify soon with the existing rules, so that works...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
4OA/A3+12k, or 24k is for keeping gold.

For (initial) gold you have to earn 24000k+4OA/A3 or 48k.

I think that there will also be changes in mileage credit. Accrual will be implemented, but still with % depending on fare value. I think that accrual will also be implemented on redeeming.

End of November will be the "launch date".
Hi Jerry, do you have more information? Also, how did you know about the "launch date"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.