Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access with A3*G Card but non-*G status on boarding pass

Lounge Access with A3*G Card but non-*G status on boarding pass

Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, UA*S, A3*S, NEXUS, Accor Platinum, MLife Platinum
Originally Posted by chromeez
Anyone have any experience crediting to A3 after check in with US Airways? I wanted to obtain my first class upgrade as a preferred member before I changed to A3. However, after I checked in at the kiosk, I was unable to change FFN to A3 (both at kiosk and online under flight reservations). Is there some window period that you have before you get shut out of making any additional changes to your reservation? Few days prior to my flight I was still able to change my traveler's information regarding FF#. Although, I did notice that when I changed the FF#, my reservation disappeared from US Airways online account.
Everything I've read and experienced indicates that US doesn't allow you to change FF# after you have checked in, if you have exercised any 'benefits' from your status. I was recently told this by 3 different agents (including a lounge agent) on a US trip (a total of 5 agents refused to change FF# on that trip, but only 3 gave that reason.) See the following threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...itinerary.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...de-clears.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...embership.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...itinerary.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-co-miles.html

Specifically this post (I am the OP referred to in the quote):

Originally Posted by Mykle
US had a policy change earlier this year. They will not change FF numbers after departure from origin. They will also not change FF numbers before departure if any Preferred benefits (i.e. upgrade) were received. This is why the OP was told "no" five times in a row.
It seems pretty clear that while US probably has the technical capacity to change the FFP, their policy is against it (after you have started a trip, or if you have used a benefit). It seems especially clear that it is against US policy to change the FF# after an upgrade, going so far as to downgrade if you do (not the case with AC or UA, evidently).

I have searched exhaustively and cannot find a single recent (ie. past ~2 years) report on FT of someone successfully making a FFP change while flying a US itinerary.

The only recommendation seems to be to try to aggressively prevent a FF# from ever being attached to the reservations, make sure the BPs are blank, and then submit for retro-credit after your trip, trying to use your *A card from another carrier to obtain benefits on US during your trip. I intend on trying this the next trip I take on US, but honestly, I expect to have the FF# of the FFP I'm trying to use to obtain a benefit be forced onto the record by some US agent at some point in the trip. If it happens while I try to access a lounge, I may try and fight it because that seems to be abuse of *A specific lounge access rules, but if I lost the fight, I'd just not enter the lounge, rather than have my FF# changed (or try to enter a lounge mid-itinerary after it would be 'against US' policy' to change the FF#).

If you have any success in changing your FF# with US, please post your experience.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: LX M&M FTL, Aegean Gold, Mabuhay Miles Platinum
Originally Posted by Nicodemus75
Could you clarify this a little? It sounds like the BPs all have your A3 number on them, but you are somehow crediting then to MM via retro-claim?

Specifically, how are you preventing the segments from auto-crediting to A3? Is it simply that these segments do not credit (as "0" miles or some such) and you then retro-credit to MM?

I once had an orphan segment on Copa with an itinerary otherwise on CO/UA and was unable to get the segment credited anywhere (MP) because the rest of the itinerary was credited to AC. Retro-claiming didn't work, but that could be something with MP's system
I have done that type of retro-claiming many times without problem. For example when I book flights from BSL via ZRH to anywhere, the BSL - ZRH part of the journey (which is typically on the train) does not qualify for miles on M&B, so I retro-claim that part of the trip to my M&M account afterwards.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:23 am

I have searched exhaustively and cannot find a single recent (ie. past ~2 years) report on FT of someone successfully making a FFP change while flying a US itinerary.
I did a few weeks ago, in a special circumstance, but it's technically possible.

I had a flight with US airways starting with a Lufthansa segment. I originally had my LH # in there as I had planned to make FTL last year. I decided about a week before departure to credit the miles to A3 instead, since it would bring me most of the way to *G.

However, at check-in, Lufthansa's stupid systems switched it all back to M&M without asking me anything, and I noticed on my BP that printed at the airport. LH said they couldn't fix it.

I called and tweeted US a few times while I was underway, and they eventually put back my A3 number on the US airways flights. Their flights all credited correctly.

Still trying to get Lufthansa to credit the miles from LH metal flights to A3.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: A3 Gold
For what it's worth, I flew SEA-PHL-SEA on US last week. The reservation had my UA FFP number. SEA-PHL was credited to UA. On the return, I asked the agent at the gate to change the BP to A3. No problems other than he asked me for the airline's code. Miles posted 4 days after the flight.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
I did a few weeks ago, in a special circumstance, but it's technically possible.

I had a flight with US airways starting with a Lufthansa segment. I originally had my LH # in there as I had planned to make FTL last year. I decided about a week before departure to credit the miles to A3 instead, since it would bring me most of the way to *G.

However, at check-in, Lufthansa's stupid systems switched it all back to M&M without asking me anything, and I noticed on my BP that printed at the airport. LH said they couldn't fix it.

I called and tweeted US a few times while I was underway, and they eventually put back my A3 number on the US airways flights. Their flights all credited correctly.

Still trying to get Lufthansa to credit the miles from LH metal flights to A3.
This is indeed a different circumstance. I assume that it was the initial segments that were flown on LH? There are numerous reports that once an MM number is attached to a reservation on LH flights, it is very difficult to change the FF#, and that in many cases the miles will credit to MM even if you do manage to get the number changed.

Did you use any benefits on the itinerary? (ie. baggage allowance or lounge access, etc.) You don't mention having status with MM or any other program, in which case it wouldn't violate US policy.

Asking US to change the FF# on their operated flights is a slightly different case, since it is not as if you are asking US to make a change after check-in with THEM or after their portion of the itinerary has started. They probably consider your point of origin with them, as opposed to the origin on another carrier.

Last edited by Nicodemus75; Jan 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bateau
For what it's worth, I flew SEA-PHL-SEA on US last week. The reservation had my UA FFP number. SEA-PHL was credited to UA. On the return, I asked the agent at the gate to change the BP to A3. No problems other than he asked me for the airline's code. Miles posted 4 days after the flight.
First, was this really SEA-PHL-SEA or SEA-PHL RT? If you asked to change to a different FF# on a return segment that is different than changing after check-in or mid-trip. They probably consider the origin to be the origin of a particular portion of the itinerary on the same day.

Also, you don't mention having any status with *A, in which case you wouldn't have exercised any benefits while flying US (extra bags, etc.) so if that's the case changing the FF# probably wouldn't violate the policy.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:07 pm

Great collection of threads for this issue! Seems pretty impossible to pull off, with one person even getting 15k deducted from account for using first class upgrade then crediting to another FFP!

Guess the only way to transition into A3*G is to part ways with current preferred status on US huh?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:44 pm

Use SAS gold for benefit but credit to A3

Hi all,

How can i check in with my A3 card but use SAS gold for extra luggage at LHR, the flight operated by Air China.

I need to make sure all miles are credit in my A3 card, because after this segment I will be A3 Gold, but in the meantime one more luggage is also important to me as well.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
similar to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...other-ffp.html

this thread is about using A3 *G but trying to get the miles to another program. there's a couple options discussed in there.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
similar to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...other-ffp.html

this thread is about using A3 *G but trying to get the miles to another program. there's a couple options discussed in there.
Thanks for help.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Just bear in mind that there is mention in that thread of "just change the number at the gate"; whilst this may be a readily do-able in airports in the USA, I've not found this works so readily in places like LHR. I've found I've had to either make the change in the lounge (if the lounges have the facility to re-print boarding passes) or at a check-in desk (after I've actually checked-in).
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
You can change the number in most *A lounges even if the lounge does not have the facility to reprint - but YMMV - I had one lounge change one sector but not the next on a 2-sector flight, while another wrote the numbers down but clearly forgot to do it before take off as my A3 account received the miles. So better to change on check-in, that way you can be sure where the miles will credit as you see it printed on BP.

In some airports you can also get a BP printed/change FF nos at a transfer desk - useful for those multi-sector flights where the mileage credit from different sectors needs to be split.

Most *G carries seem OK to give *G benefits on sighting the card on check0in even if you are crediting another carrier - I've found LH, A3, SQ, NZ all OK with this personally, though there are reports that some US carriers don't like this.. If only they were all like NZ and LH and could accommodat different entries in FQTS and FQTV which is a tidier way to do it.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In my experience you can add TG to that list too, especially in BKK. They couldn't care less (mai pen rai).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
this probably belongs in the UA forum, but I'm going to ask it here because others may be in the same boat/have had this experience before here.. I've read on this thread and others that its possible to change the FFP between segments.

Has this ever been done for UA? I have several sub-500 mile flights already booked (all at the end of the itinerary (e.g., MCI-SFO-LAX). Has anyone had any experience switching this to A3.

I would want to credit the beginning of those flights to UA (in this case the MCI-SFO leg) both for the mileage, as well as the option to do SDC.

However, if this is possible, I would like to get to the 3000 miles for A3 blue/Silver basically for free this way. Then I can wait for a good US Air deal to put me into the gold =)
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bbmatt
this probably belongs in the UA forum, but I'm going to ask it here because others may be in the same boat/have had this experience before here.. I've read on this thread and others that its possible to change the FFP between segments.

Has this ever been done for UA? I have several sub-500 mile flights already booked (all at the end of the itinerary (e.g., MCI-SFO-LAX). Has anyone had any experience switching this to A3.

I would want to credit the beginning of those flights to UA (in this case the MCI-SFO leg) both for the mileage, as well as the option to do SDC.

However, if this is possible, I would like to get to the 3000 miles for A3 blue/Silver basically for free this way. Then I can wait for a good US Air deal to put me into the gold =)
i had some experience with this recently. first off, the gate agent could not figure out how to replace the UA FF number with the A3 one. after calling someone at support, they told her what to doand the BP that got printed had no FF number on it at all. she just let me board with Group 2, which was why I wanted to change it in the first place.

the flight was on July 8. the miles for it have yet to post to either FF account. other flights from the same day have already posted to my UA account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.