Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to A3G from Austria

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Cheapest way to A3G from Austria

hi !

whats the cheapest way to get A3G from Austria ? I have 3000 points with A3G atm.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: A3*G
Grüß Gott!

A little research on this forum will reveal that nobody is interested in doing your homework for you. In other words, file through some of the older posts, study the A3 "earn miles" table, and decide which part of the world you may want to visit during your "mileage run"...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:53 am
Original Poster

I tried to do that using matrix but the problem is I don't find any good faires to either south america (Rio/Costa Rica or similar) or to Asia (Thailand,Vietnam,Laos,...) for a 6 day vacation. I always end up with the super pricy tickets or the E/L/T booking classes which are not counted

Any tips from someone how to search best ?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:37 am

South America tends to be pricey yes.

If you are flexible with dates, fly to Bangkok with Swiss in booking class S. From Vienna, this should bring you just over 12'000 miles for less than 1000 EUR.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA executive plat, Turkish Airlines Gold , Etihad Gold
AMS- GIG , found several dates in April , 20k miles , books in V , price 1000 USD, so about 740 EUR (Found on UA site)
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Hi !

I also saw that from AMS-GIG but only in April/May timeframe. I didn't find that flights anymore in June - September. What could be the reason that UA doesn't show me any flights than (tried it also on Matrix and didn't find anything) ?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by cobolus
Hi !

I also saw that from AMS-GIG but only in April/May timeframe. I didn't find that flights anymore in June - September. What could be the reason that UA doesn't show me any flights than (tried it also on Matrix and didn't find anything) ?
This is a forum about Aegean Airlines; questions about UA flights should be posted on the UA forum.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by :D!
This is a forum about Aegean Airlines; questions about UA flights should be posted on the UA forum.
Well, since 99% of the people posting here never fly Aegean, we should perhaps rename the forum: "Aegean Airlines | Anything but that!"
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:22 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I am becoming mildly amused by the misconception that the FT community has created - everyone coming on here seems to think that A3*G is obtainable for just a few hundred GBP/Euros/USD.

With so many non-mileage earning classes, and most realistic Y fares at 50% with the pending departure of US, the truth is that it's actually almost as hard for most people as gaining status in, say, UA Mileage+.

As A3 doesn't give any bonus miles for Gold status, unlike many other FFP's, that makes redemptions worse value - meaning that the main reasons to get status with them are longevity @ 3 years, USA lounge access, and extra baggage weight/piece - with perhaps a question mark on IrOps.

Now, I've never needed to use the extra baggage on any trip (as far as I'm concerned the hold is for cargo ), and I'm assuming I'm not untypical of someone with a reasonable but not ridiculous flying pattern in that respect. As as result, I rarely need to use priority check-in counters.

USA lounge access - yep, tick for me. But most people asking on here recently seem to want intra-Europe or Asia travel, so that doesn't really apply.

IrOps - well, in most cases this is for complete cancellation with the requirement to re-book. The only time I've had it recently everyone was in the same boat, and I'm sure the only reason I was accommodated out-of-alliance was because I was capable of insisting and was travelling in Business Class - nothing to do with *G given the obvious lack of success of others around me. The fact is that most people who are flying so few times a year that they find qualification difficult are extremely unlikely ever to have a problem they need resolving.

So all we come down to is lounge access. Now, with the very odd exception such as TK's facility in IST and some of the newer LH ones in FRA, *G lounges are generally fairly uninspiring.

I'm beginning to think, therefore, that our stock answer to any question about cheap status should actually be - "Don't bother - just buy a Priority Pass because it'll cost much less and be more flexible".
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cobolus
hi !

whats the cheapest way to get A3G from Austria ? I have 3000 points with A3G atm.
The same way to get A3G from Australia, Greece, America, South Africa, Thailand, Japan, or anywhere else on the globe.

Fly as cheaply as possible on mileage-earning Star Alliance tickets.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So all we come down to is lounge access. Now, with the very odd exception such as TK's facility in IST and some of the newer LH ones in FRA, *G lounges are generally fairly uninspiring.

I'm beginning to think, therefore, that our stock answer to any question about cheap status should actually be - "Don't bother - just buy a Priority Pass because it'll cost much less and be more flexible".
I was wondering what the benefit / downside of being an A3*G would be. Since I am mostly travelling intra-Germany and -Europe, I do not have a big chance to get LH FTL or even SEN. I used to be FTL and will most probably get it again this year by having >30 flight segments, not by miles.

I can't really think of any drawbacks for my personal situation.
Priority checkin is a big plus, also the better lounge access. If I get a op-up, that would also be awesome. So in my personal situation it is far better for me to be A3*G than LH FTL.... What am I missing? I can see that I apparently I cannot use A3 miles to upgrade a LH flight, but for vacation, I would not choose LH anyway.

Cheers
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, since 99% of the people posting here never fly Aegean, we should perhaps rename the forum: "Aegean Airlines | Anything but that!"
Excuse me, but I flew Aegean four times and loved it..;-)

Cobulus, try FRA-ADD-GRU-ADD-FRA with Ethiopian. One trip and you are *G ! ~ 850 EUR Return.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by DrStrange
I was wondering what the benefit / downside of being an A3*G would be. Since I am mostly travelling intra-Germany and -Europe, I do not have a big chance to get LH FTL or even SEN. I used to be FTL and will most probably get it again this year by having >30 flight segments, not by miles.

I can't really think of any drawbacks for my personal situation.
Priority checkin is a big plus, also the better lounge access. If I get a op-up, that would also be awesome. So in my personal situation it is far better for me to be A3*G than LH FTL.... What am I missing? I can see that I apparently I cannot use A3 miles to upgrade a LH flight, but for vacation, I would not choose LH anyway.

Cheers
Well having FTL is worth more than *G when you need the goodwill of LH, helped me a couple of times. But if you only get FTL with segments than I dont think there is much chance for you for A3G.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by szczurwa
Cobulus, try FRA-ADD-GRU-ADD-FRA with Ethiopian. One trip and you are *G ! ~ 850 EUR Return.
Also works from BRU and other European cities. Between €850 and €950, K class, 100% accrual.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
TK comfort class to asia (never looked into south america) can often be had for ~1,000 EUR. 100% distance flown, should take you 3/4 the way there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.