Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines / UA Fare Class P [earns no A3 Miles&Bonus miles - merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.
UNITED
Effective as of February, 1rst 2011 (sic)

Note: Booking Classes not eligible for accrual:O, I, X, R, N, P <link>
Other thread of interest: United P-class and US Airways Codeshare [consolidated] (except US is oneworld as of 31 mar 2014)
Print Wikipost

United Airlines / UA Fare Class P [earns no A3 Miles&Bonus miles - merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is AU? It's not the abbreviation for a *A carrier that I recognize.
maybe AUstrian - OS?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by travel agent
maybe AUstrian - OS?
Mea culpa, I meant OS! (refers to me!)
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travel agent
maybe AUstrian - OS?
Some people write AU for Australia but that's not an airline.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:15 pm

The same thing happened to me - I was on a mileage run and was offered to upgrade a couple of my segments, which I did.

I was then put into the P fare class on those flights. I didn't realize that these wouldn't earn on A3.

Has anyone had any success in arguing that because they originally purchased a valid, earning fare class that they should be credited the miles under the original fare?

My miles haven't posted yet (for the upgraded flights or the non-upgrade L class flights) so I'm not sure if I have a problem yet - but I assume I do. This will leave me short 634 miles for gold status.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by matthew gulino
The same thing happened to me - I was on a mileage run and was offered to upgrade a couple of my segments, which I did.

I was then put into the P fare class on those flights. I didn't realize that these wouldn't earn on A3.

Has anyone had any success in arguing that because they originally purchased a valid, earning fare class that they should be credited the miles under the original fare?

My miles haven't posted yet (for the upgraded flights or the non-upgrade L class flights) so I'm not sure if I have a problem yet - but I assume I do. This will leave me short 634 miles for gold status.
If the offer is to buy up to the higher cabin class using the P fare, IMO this should not result in A3 miles. However, if you're bumped up as an OPUP for the operating airline's convenience and not as something that you have chosen, then you should get the miles according to the ticket you purchased.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Does a business class P fare on UA earn 0 miles? Why?

Hi I accidently booked a business class P fare on UA, thinking that it would at least get some miles if not double for being business class. After I got the confirmation I noticed the booking code is P on UA which earns zero miles? I can see why it might not earn as much as a full fare business class ticket, but zero. Any idea why?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by smilee
Hi I accidently booked a business class P fare on UA, thinking that it would at least get some miles if not double for being business class. After I got the confirmation I noticed the booking code is P on UA which earns zero miles? I can see why it might not earn as much as a full fare business class ticket, but zero. Any idea why?
Note: Booking Classes not eligible for accrual:O, I, X, R, N, P

Seems like many time being discussed or just my imagination?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:38 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Probably the same reason that a P fare on eg Lufthansa earns no miles. They are heavily discounted, therefore, no miles.

The only advice I can give in these matters: don't assume, and always look up the earning rate before booking.

In this case maybe you can buy up to another business fare that does earn miles?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
That's the exact reason why I bought a Z fare out of YVR in June.
Price difference was about $30-50 between P and Z so hopefully you can rebook the ticket.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by qmiles321
That's the exact reason why I bought a Z fare out of YVR in June.
Price difference was about $30-50 between P and Z so hopefully you can rebook the ticket.
Yes, my ticket is out of YYJ, and the price difference is also only about $50, its P one way, and Z on the return. I believe the change fee is $200, but hopefully they can waive it for buying up to a higher price ticket.

You are right, should read the rules first then buy the ticket. I actually purchased the ticket and am starting to look to who I should credit it to. I was thinking it might be nice to go for star gold with Aegean, and I bought the ticket as it was about the same as flying Delta (but their program sucks) and it was about $300 less then AA which is where I have status and do most of my flying.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by smilee
Any idea why?
Because LH is paying 0 money to A3 for P booking classes.
If you are really interested I will find you the relevant statement made by an LH exec.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...solidated.html

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 27, 2014 at 7:34 pm Reason: redacted recurning link
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by kanor
Because LH is paying 0 money to A3 for P booking classes.
If you are really interested I will find you the relevant statement made by an LH exec.
And LH for sure don't care, why UA P-cl does not earn any A3 mile... Or are you serious that the LH exec would answer this question?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
And LH for sure don't care, why UA P-cl does not earn any A3 mile... Or are you serious that the LH exec would answer this question?
Ah yes sorry, you are right, I answered about LH P, but I guess UA P has similar issues.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Watch out for N as well: long ago, this was either an award or an upgrade bucket...I forget which. Now it's a regular revenue seat...I recently bought one that is in the same range as what I would have paid for a G or T. After a series of emails with United, I was able to confirm that they did indeed repurpose the fare bucket a year or two ago. Thankfully, they gave me a retrocredit of United MP miles, but alas, no A3 miles.

United also has an annoying habit of showing you a wide variety of Q, M, H, etc. "-UP" fares when you query on A. I'm never sure how these will post to the rest of the alliance so I'm hesitant to buy them. It's a fare that seats you in the F cabin but (I'm guessing) posts to the outside world as a coach fare. Maybe someone here has experience with these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.