Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at Athens (ATH)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:25 pm

Option 2 would be best if you only have carry-on. Since you have two separate tickets, you will more than likely have to collect your checked in luggage on the landside and then go back through security again.

Option 1 would be the "safer" option.

Originally Posted by tys90
I'm seeking some advice as well. We are flying CHQ (Chania, Crete) - ATH - CDG. We have ATH-CDG on A3 but have not purchased our CHQ-ATH flight yet. We basically have two options. Arrive late the night before on Ryanair and stay the night nearby or take the early A3 flight the morning of our ATH-CDG flight.

Option 1:
CHQ-ATH the night before on Ryanair + hotel near airport (any recommendations?)

Option 2:
CHQ-ATH at 6:20AM, arrive at 7:20AM for a 8:35 departure to CDG, all on A3. I think it's a bonus to get an extra night on Crete but this would make for an early morning.

I'm curious as to how our luggage would be handled if we went the all A3 route. We are on a business class award from ATH-CDG. If we get a separate ticket, would the connecting business ticket give us any advantage on luggage?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:28 pm

I'm seeking some advice as well. We are flying CHQ (Chania, Crete) - ATH - CDG. We have ATH-CDG on A3 but have not purchased our CHQ-ATH flight yet. We basically have two options. Arrive late the night before on Ryanair and stay the night nearby or take the early A3 flight the morning of our ATH-CDG flight.

Option 1:

Option 2:
CHQ-ATH at 6:20AM, arrive at 7:20AM for a 8:35 departure to CDG, all on A3. I think it's a bonus to get an extra night on Crete but this would make for an early morning.

I'm curious as to how our luggage would be handled if we went the all A3 route. We are on a business class award from ATH-CDG. If we get a separate ticket, would the connecting business ticket give us any advantage on luggage?
Easy to answer as far as facts are concerned. But you still have to decide yourself...:

Option 1: Only "near-by" hotel is The Sofitel. Great hotel but rather expensive. The HI is a little cheaper, but their airport shuttle doesn't go late/early (check with HI for times). Other hotels would be several km away, only reachable by taxi.

Option 2: As an early riser, I'd pick that one. You can check your luggage through in Chania and get your priority sticker too. No problem what so ever.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Easy to answer as far as facts are concerned. But you still have to decide yourself...:

Option 1: Only "near-by" hotel is The Sofitel. Great hotel but rather expensive. The HI is a little cheaper, but their airport shuttle doesn't go late/early (check with HI for times). Other hotels would be several km away, only reachable by taxi.

Option 2: As an early riser, I'd pick that one. You can check your luggage through in Chania and get your priority sticker too. No problem what so ever.
I think we will go with Option 2. It's probably going to cost a little extra than Option 1 but I'd rather maximize time in Crete.

On a related note, having a connecting business class ticket does no good for you if you are on a separate economy class ticket (their GoLight fare). I can check my baggage through in CHQ but it's going to cost. If they had been one ticket, I would have gotten the business class baggage allowance. I guess this makes sense but I wanted to confirm with their phone agents.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:47 pm

Last edited by KLouis; Aug 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm Reason: continued through PM
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:51 pm

Bumping this thread up to 2015. I've called A3 and their MCT is 1 hour. Is that advisable for the following itinerary?

---

I have an upcoming 2-sector flight from LHR-ATH and then ATH-JTR, caveat being they are on separate tickets. I have a choice of either a 1.5 hour layover or 3.5 hour layover, since LHR-ATH lands around 17:50, and ATH-JTR departs either 19:30 or 21:30.

I've also seen the LHR-ATH flight is oftentimes delayed. I also need to enter Schengen as a non-EU resident.

Based on your experiences, is a 1.5 hour layover sufficient for this, or should I outright book the 3.5 hour layover? FWIW, I'll be in voucher-upgraded-business on the first leg.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:03 pm

1.5 hours is, normally, plenty of time, but if there is a delay in the first leg, you're screwed! If you were on a single ticket I'd do it, but in your case I'de be careful.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:00 am

Here's a variation on some of the questions above. I'm booked with my family on a LON-ATH-RHO itinerary with a layover of almost 4 hours between flights. No big deal -- we'll spend some time in the lounge, if necessary -- but I notice that there is another ATH-RHO flight departing just 50 minutes after our arrival into Athens. Presumably this wasn't offered as an option when we booked the ticket because it would be an illegal connection (it's just under the minimum connection time), but I gather from some posts above that in practice it ought to be possible for us to reach the departure gate for the earlier flight, perhaps even with a bit of time to spare.

My question, then, is what do you suppose the odds are that we could get ourselves moved up onto that earlier flight if we did get there in time? I'm asking in part because I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth making the extra effort to pack in such a way that we travel with hand luggage only -- as I presume having a checked bag would kill any chance of changing flights. I'm A3*G, in case you suppose that might make any difference. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:41 pm

You can always try to see whether there are free seats on the previous flight since all A3 tickets are changeable. But you'll be asked to pay for any difference in price (you'll never get any money back, if cheaper ) plus, if you're on a GoLight ticket (which I doubt), a change fee. This whole operation will easily add another ~10-15 minutes to your transfer, depending on the length of the line at the ticket office where you'd have to go for the payment (can't be done at the CI desk). A3 Gold will not have any effect what so ever.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I have a similar question to ask.

Flying AF CDG-ATH arriving in ATH at 1735. Will need to collect bags in ATH and check in with A3 for a flight to Santorini. I am trying to decide between the 19:10 and the 21:35 departure from ATH. I would prefer the 19:10 departure but wondering if I will have enough time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Why would you have to collect bags? I'm sure AF and A3 interline. JTR has customs, so they check bags through to there.

Originally Posted by malgudi
I am connecting A3 to A3 (domestic to domestic) ... in 50 mins. I'm assuming (hoping?) this should work.
That is fine.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 2, but you did this ;-)

Originally Posted by leixusam
Bumping this thread up to 2015. I've called A3 and their MCT is 1 hour. Is that advisable for the following itinerary?

---

I have an upcoming 2-sector flight from LHR-ATH and then ATH-JTR, caveat being they are on separate tickets. I have a choice of either a 1.5 hour layover or 3.5 hour layover, since LHR-ATH lands around 17:50, and ATH-JTR departs either 19:30 or 21:30.

I've also seen the LHR-ATH flight is oftentimes delayed. I also need to enter Schengen as a non-EU resident.

Based on your experiences, is a 1.5 hour layover sufficient for this, or should I outright book the 3.5 hour layover? FWIW, I'll be in voucher-upgraded-business on the first leg.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by KLouis
1.5 hours is, normally, plenty of time, but if there is a delay in the first leg, you're screwed! If you were on a single ticket I'd do it, but in your case I'de be careful.
1.5 hours is plenty of time. I connect at ATH to/from JTR every year, in at least one direction, in late July (peak season). This year, I arrived on BA from LHR at the same time as DL's packed flight came in from JFK and, even with a packed passport check line, it was still less than 30 minutes till I was out into arrivals. Even with a delay, you will be absolutely fine, and even have a few minutes at the lounge.

ATH is among the easiest airports to use. Security is fast, immigration is fast, the space is compact and manageable. The only time I ever see a slight delay is with a bus gate, but I've never had a bus on a non-domestic flight. Also, JTR frequently goes from a bridge these days.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:01 am

Now only V Limited Airside Connections?

Connected through ATH twice in last week (Extra Schengen (Hall A) > Intra Schengen (Hall B) & Vice Versa).

It appears that its now only possible to connect airside if you are flying Intra Schengen > Intra Schengen.

We were bussed to the terminal both times but the only route available was to exit arrivals and re-enter via departures.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:33 pm

When was it possible to connect extra to intra?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:32 pm

Many years ago, not more than a couple of years after ATH opened, I remember walking along a windowless (subterranean?) corridor from the A to the B area. The immigration control was at the beginning of this "long march", which ended somewhere in B. Although, arriving from all over the world, I was connecting to HER very often back then, this was a "once in a lifetime experience".
romans likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:46 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
What is the current arrangement for extra Schengen to extra Schengen? A couple of years ago they had a small security checkpoint a level below the A gates. Is this still in place or does everyone need to go to the main arrivals area?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Next week I am connecting through ATH on A3 from JMK to an Air Canada flight to Montreal.

Connection time is only 70 minutes. Both are Star Alliance so bags should be checked through. Is this doable?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:26 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Are both flights on the same ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.