Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

FAQ No. 3 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: How many Miles&Bonus miles will I earn?

FAQ No. 3 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: How many Miles&Bonus miles will I earn?

Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: FTL in M&M
Check here: http://www.owenrudge.net/utils/starcalc/?p=A3
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: US SP, A3*G, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Nat'l Plat
pogar: Used that link to check originally; adding the "short" trip yields 20113mi.

KLouis: 16k even or higher should get me there; assuming the extra 1576 from the "short" trip goes toward Gold also, I'll have a bit of a margin of error to work with.

Thanks all!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by djgwk
pogar: Used that link to check originally; adding the "short" trip yields 20113mi.

KLouis: 16k even or higher should get me there; assuming the extra 1576 from the "short" trip goes toward Gold also, I'll have a bit of a margin of error to work with.

Thanks all!
Even without the 1576 (which, BTW, will count), earning *Silver on A3 and then earning an additional 16,000 miles on A3 during the year gets you *Gold. A problem could arise if your initial sign-up bonus 1,000 or 2,000 status miles were to expire before you earn the 16,000 miles. In this case, if it's 2,000 that expire--the new signup bonus--the 1576 wouldn't be enough to make a difference.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: US SP, A3*G, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Nat'l Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A problem could arise if your initial sign-up bonus 1,000 or 2,000 status miles were to expire before you earn the 16,000 miles. In this case, if it's 2,000 that expire--the new signup bonus--the 1576 wouldn't be enough to make a difference.
Joined early this month for the 2k bonus and the itins are Nov '12 and Jan '13 so I think I'm straight. Excellent to know that 1576 is going to count.

I probably could find a way to reduce that mileage closer to 14.5k instead of 16k and reduce cost slightly... Jumping on that A fare seemed like a better idea to get it over with though.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:10 am

So you have to get silver before you get gold? can you just get 18k and go straight to gold?

Also, how do you search for A fares? when I tried to search on ITA, only F fares showed up.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by kr0n0s
So you have to get silver before you get gold? can you just get 18k and go straight to gold?
My understanding is that 18k is 18k; if you get it in one shot you'll get Gold right away. I wasn't able to swing that personally, but there's another thread that shows how some have done it.

Originally Posted by kr0n0s
Also, how do you search for A fares? when I tried to search on ITA, only F fares showed up.
In the case of the longer flight I searched "Business Class Or Higher," on US or UA, since US is 150% accrual and UA is 200% in Biz or 300% on FC... itin just happened to book into A and happened to be a pretty good deal.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:26 am

Mile accrual on Aegean metal?

I'm planning a trip to Europe and I'm weighing a couple of flight options. I have 2000 Aegean points from the signup which expires (in mid March, 6 months from signup, not 12 months like I thought). I would like to get another 2000 points in before that.

Based on Aegean's mile award chart
http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/
does this mean all P international fares on Aegean earn only 500 points regardless of actual flight distance? I'm weight alternate routings between Rome->Athens->Paris vs Milan->Athens->Paris. The former is just under 2000 miles but is more convenient for me, the latter is just above 2000 miles but is slightly less convenient (but also slightly cheaper).

Can anyone tell me if the award chart is fixed by booking class regardless of distance or are they just minimums?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, all A3 flights earn on a basis of fixed miles, regardless of actual flying distance.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by intuition
Yes, all A3 flights earn on a basis of fixed miles, regardless of actual flying distance.
Huh? Do you mean to say that all European flights earn some set number of miles? For long haul, it's generally the flight distance multiplied by a percentage depending on the carrier and fare class.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? Do you mean to say that all European flights earn some set number of miles? For long haul, it's generally the flight distance multiplied by a percentage depending on the carrier and fare class.
intuition is absolutely correct. Both domestic and intra-European flights earn miles depending on the fare class and not on distance flown. Thus, for both alternative itins, in P, put forward by jz87 1000 miles will be credited. Of course, this is only when actually flying Aegean metal, otherwise the tables listed by the M&B pages are in effect.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:04 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... and it is in this light the thresholds are to be seen. To achieve gold, the average-Georgios needs 10 european business segments, or 100 domestic deep discount econ.

I'd say it is quite straightforward and practical arrangement. If you mainly fly domestic, you don't need to remember miles while you hop islands, you just count segments.
If you fly international business, it is on par with LH and many other european programs.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:01 am

Will round-trip Bangkok-Fort Lauderdale help me becoming Gold?

I am planning to fly round-trip Bangkok(BKK) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) with United Airlines economy class (booking class is Q). I wonder if I will become Gold member after I finish this route (this is my first trip and plan to join A3 frequent flyer).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:49 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyertalk and the A3 forum, Tailandia!

It is not very difficult to calculate miles, and you can easily find quite a few topics here to help you, especially in the FAQ-section.

If I do a quick check it seems like you will earn around 19300 miles for this trip (UA metal, booking class Q) . Together with the sign-up bonus you should make gold.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Tailandia
I am planning to fly round-trip Bangkok(BKK) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) with United Airlines economy class (booking class is Q). I wonder if I will become Gold member after I finish this route (this is my first trip and plan to join A3 frequent flyer).
Welcome to FT. On the Aegean website, you can find the percentage of miles earned (and minimum/fixed amounts for some routes) for all *A carriers by fare class. This, combined with knowing the distances, enables you to calculate the A3 miles that will be earned.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by intuition
... and it is in this light the thresholds are to be seen. To achieve gold, the average-Georgios needs 10 european business segments, or 100 domestic deep discount econ.

I'd say it is quite straightforward and practical arrangement. If you mainly fly domestic, you don't need to remember miles while you hop islands, you just count segments.
If you fly international business, it is on par with LH and many other european programs.
But it the hypothetical Greek average George considers LH rather than A3 intraEU flights, he could earn more miles, depending on distance and booking class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.