A3 op-ups

Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
A3 op-ups

Has anyone experienced any op-ups with aegean? It only happened to me with OA as a travelair gold, but I haven't had such experiences with A3. I am not talking about other star carriers, as it has already been discussed.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think I've ever noticed an oversold Aegean flight, although I have been on some that have been full, including one where they graciously confirmed me in business class after I missed my earlier flight when my hotel forget the back-up wake-up call and my alarm clock apparently didn't function.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Do you remember what was the booking class? was it a fully flexible Y ticket?

I mean, the only reason to credit miles to my A3 card and not try to reach status with LH is the unexpected op up you might get
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:53 pm

In all these years I've never been op-up'd, and I've been in quite a few completely packed A3 flights, both domestic and international.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:09 pm

Very rare for any Greek carrier to op up . Even back in the old days of Olympic Airways you only got upgraded if you knew someone or were staff of a certain level. Same applies to A3 to a certain extent. Of course you and I can use some miles to upgrade but I will never hold my breath for an upgrade. I'm willing to be proved wrong though
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Even back in the old days of Olympic Airways you only got upgraded if you knew someone or were staff of a certain level.
Isn't that the truth?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

My experience with op-ups this far:

My mom got upgraded sometime during the late days of old OA in an ATH-CDG flight, in an overbooked flight, by only holding the gold OA credit card

I was op-uped once in a SKG-ATH flight to C, as a travelair gold, I think it was last year.

And that was it
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Old OA used to upgrade high level (Greek) government officials, advisors, and consultants even on personal trips.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Old OA used to upgrade high level (Greek) government officials, advisors, and consultants even on personal trips.
Pilots upgraded their friends and family at the gate . Once saw a genuine J class passenger bumped for it

Hundreds of excess kilos waived even on the free tickets !

When the elections came it was an exciting time at OA as the thousands of tickets for voters of the government at the time were flowing through the ticket printer like no tomorrow ( I know because I was at the ticket printer sorting them all )

June 1989 elections a B747 was sent to LHR to carry these voters on free tickets and 70% were free. That was just one example. Free tickets went to those that had no intention of voting too but they were related to someone.

Papandreou Senior ( now dead ) married an ex OA FA and once held a flight packed with paying passengers on the ground in BKK whilst silk sheets were delivered to the aircraft otherwise his wife wouldnt sleep with him . Yes guys you couldnt write it .

So yes it was free for those that abused the system and stole from OA. The rest of the staff were hard working and loved their company , were highly trained and loyal and watched on in dismay.

All I can say is thank god those days are gone of Greek government controlled airlines.

Aegean and Olympic Air are examples of what the Greek private sector can do . It gives us all hope for the future believe me despite the current issues.

Im sure upgrading on a space available basis for those of VIP status still goes on but only in certain criteria and nothing compared to the social welfare system that existed at OA .
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:01 pm

Wow, this is worse than the Italian trains being free in second class for all citizens around election time so that they can go home to vote, but then everyone crowds into first class compartments (even with farm animals!) that others have reserved. This was in the 1980s. Many didn't want to vote, but they wanted the free trip and so what to the foreign visitors who were spending money in their country.

Was the FA Papandreou's first or second wife? Somehow he never impressed me as being a jerk, just as someone who was smart, educated, and well spoken, but having a high position can lead to inappropriate excesses.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Aegean and Olympic Air are examples of what the Greek private sector can do . It gives us all hope for the future believe me despite the current issues.
^ ^

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wow, this is worse than the Italian trains being free in second class for all citizens around election time so that they can go home to vote, ...
IIRC retired italian railway personnel had free unlimited travel for the rest of their life. A few of them started a courier company and made a fortune delivering all over the country.
I'll guess that is what italian "private sector" can do I think I like the Greek example better
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:53 am
Original Poster

A3 op-ups

I finally had my first op up as A3*G last week. It was a LHR-ATH midday flight, probably overbooked because of the Olympics. Of note, there was a Greek ex-mp and very famous basketball coach onboard who wasn't upgraded. Really nice experience. Service was fantastic, food was also fantastic (apart from the main, I had the fish which wasn't very good).
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
I finally had my first op up as A3*G last week. It was a LHR-ATH midday flight, probably overbooked because of the Olympics. Of note, there was a Greek ex-mp and very famous basketball coach onboard who wasn't upgraded. Really nice experience. Service was fantastic, food was also fantastic (apart from the main, I had the fish which wasn't very good).
Great to see A3*G getting upgraded rather than celebrities. If they want C they can pay for it . I guess these days Greek politicians are about as respected as some rogue bankers. Kudos to A3 ! Shame about the fish but I dont like it anyway so always go with the veggie or meat dish. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.