Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 10, 12, 8:05 am   #1

Programs: A3*G, TK Elite
Switched to A3 at check-in but miles were posted to UA. What can I do?

Its my first post. So please be nice to me. :-)

I flew SAA from CPT to JNB in December. Flight and everything was fine but the miles were credited to the wrong account. During the reservation I added my Mileage Plus number as I used Mileage Plus at this time for almost all my travels. Two weeks before my flight I joined Miles&Bonus.

On the day of my flight I added Miles&Bonus as my frequent flyer program at the check-in machine in Cape Town. My A3 account number was printed on my boarding pass, so I thought it will be fine otherwise it would show my UA number.

A few weeks later to my disappointment miles were posted to UA.
I sent A3 a copy of my boarding pass but they are not willing to give me any miles unless I can proof that UA removes the miles from my Mileage Plus account.

IMHO they should just give me the 500 tier miles. How should it be my problem now?? A3 number was on the boarding pass. That is what counts in my opinion.
Or am I wrong with that?

below is what A3 Customer Service wrote me:
If during the reservation the Mileage plus account number was inserted, then the miles will automatically be credited to this account regardless if during check in you gave your Miles&Bonus card and the boarding card has this sign.

Moreover, even if we accept to accommodate such an irregular request, we need a formal confirmation or authorization by United Airlines that the miles have been removed. Aegean Airlines cannot proceed to process this request without UA's consent in writing.

You should ask UA to send in writing to Aegean through internal communication by email the request on your behalf and we will do our best to accommodate this request.
IB6825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:12 am   #2

You should try to contact united to remove the miles from your account only once that happens can the same be credited to A3. I know this is something of a crazy situation but there is really not much that anyone can do about it as A3 won't credit miles unless united removes it from your account.
planensimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:28 am   #3

Programs: AI Silver, OZ Diamond Plus, A3 Gold, UA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Platinum
If you still have a copy of the boarding pass with the A3 number on it, then you can fax a copy to A3 and UA and generally they will work it out. However, if you don't have that boarding pass, your chances are approximately zero.
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:31 am   #4
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
If you still have a copy of the boarding pass with the A3 number on it, then you can fax a copy to A3 and UA and generally they will work it out. However, if you don't have that boarding pass, your chances are approximately zero.
Well, I have experienced this recently. UA was more than happy to delete the miles from my account, but it remains to be seen whether OZ will credit them to my account properly.

LAX
LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 12, 9:38 am   #5

Programs: AI Silver, OZ Diamond Plus, A3 Gold, UA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Well, I have experienced this recently. UA was more than happy to delete the miles from my account, but it remains to be seen whether OZ will credit them to my account properly.

LAX
Ah, so you decided to go with OZ instead of US?
Old Jan 10, 12, 10:32 am   #6

Thank you very much for your replies.

I still have my boarding pass and I already sent it to Aegean and United.
So will see what happens.
Old Jan 10, 12, 11:01 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6825 View Post
Thank you very much for your replies.

I still have my boarding pass and I already sent it to Aegean and United.
So will see what happens.
Save the BP, even after you sent pictures/scans. You have a good chance, but it will take arguing.
Old Jan 10, 12, 1:00 pm   #8
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
Ah, so you decided to go with OZ instead of US?
Not exactly. I have been maintaining *G via OZ for lounge access in addition to my UA status for several years now. With the new MP changes, I am doing OZ + US rather than OZ + UA.

LAX
LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 12, 5:45 pm   #9

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver, former BD *G, OZ Diamond *G, VA Gold, AA, DL, EK, QF, Amex
In this situation you are best off confirming removal of one FFP and insertion of anoer with an agent at check-in or in the lounge before flying, not just by using a self check-in machine. It is worth checking they have updated the FQTV (mileage accrual) field and not one of the other frequent flier fields in the airline's system such as FQTS. Input of FFP numbers into airline systems at self check-in machines or online do not always follow through to the correct field if an entry already exists.

As others have posted, in thiis situation hipefully A3 will now credit the miles. I would fax/email A3 the BP showing your A3 FFP number and also a print of your mileage statement showing both the original credit to and the reversal of the credit by UA.
wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 12, 9:55 pm   #10
TalkBoard Candidate
2014 Elections

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This thread makes me glad that when I booked on united.bomb, I refused to give UA my MP or OP number and was careful that only my A3 FF number was associated with the reservation. Of course, if I do more of this, entering my address, credit card, and secure flight information by hand for every booking will quickly become a pain, but I did not want to risk possibility of not getting A3 credit.
MSPeconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 12, 10:34 pm   #11

Programs: A3*G, SQ*G, CX*S, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Le Club Plat
Updating a FF number after booking is always "risky". From what I know, there are two fields in the system for FF... Don't ask which ones, I have no idea...

But you do have to make sure that BOTH fields are replaced by the FF number that you want to accrue to.

Best is to do that with a real person rather than a machine though.

Keep the physical BP, only send scans until they request for the original. But then keep a scan for yourself, you never know.
Good luck
enelym1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 12, 5:10 pm   #12

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver, former BD *G, OZ Diamond *G, VA Gold, AA, DL, EK, QF, Amex
No, you only need to ensure the FQTV field has updated for accrual. The other fields do not affect accrual (and if you update only other fields your points will not post).

It is safest to do this with an agent on the phone or at the airport, not a good idea to use a website or self-checkin machine to do this, and it is a good idea to ask to see this on screen if the correct information is not on your BP after making the change, or check again with a different agent before boarding.

YMMV but in my experience changing the FF number works if you are careful.
wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 3:45 am   #13

Just to let you know what happened in the end.

It took MileagePlus about 2 months to reply to my request. They said that the miles can be removed but MileagePlus will not write a confirmation about the removal and notify Aegean about that.

I then sent a formal letter to the CEO of Aegean Airlines. Within 1 week (and it takes 2 to 4 days to send a letter from Switzerland to Greece) I got a reply from someone at Miles&Bonus that out of courtesy the flight was credited to my account.

I even got 1184 miles which includes a 50% bonus. I think I was only eligible for 500 miles. On SAA you earn 150% for quite a lot of economy fares. At the moment I am waiting for 9000 miles which I will get for my flight from FRA to CPT via JNB.

I still have the 789 miles which were wrongly credited to MileagePlus.
Old Mar 21, 12, 5:39 pm   #14

Switched FFP at gate, but miles still credited to old FFP

Hello,

I was flying A3 some weeks ago, and changed my FFP number from A3 to OZ at the gate (since OZ had a higher earn rate). After my trip, I checked to see if my miles were credited only to find out that they were credited to A3.

From my understanding, I'm supposed to request for A3 to cancel the mileage credit before filing a retroactive claim with OZ? What happens if my boarding pass only reflects the A3 number?

I know it's just a difference of 1,000 miles, but any little bit helps towards OZ lifetime Diamond Plus!

Thanks!
ValentineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:01 am   #15
TalkBoard Candidate
2014 Elections

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Were you using A3 elite FF benefits on the trip? Then A3 might say that the flights should have been credited to their program, and in fact there has been a debate here about this including discussion of the associated ethics.
MSPeconomist is offline   Reply With Quote